Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20-12-2008, 11:22 PM

Name: Deano
10-Bolt Diff Gone Bang (BBC Maiden Voyage)

Heyaz,

What started out a most excellent of all days has gone downhill a tad. With my 454 '67 arriving the a coupe ofdays ago, passing rego & rwc yesterday, I spent a glorious Melbourne afternoon cruising with my girl, then out to some mate's to show it off & start the tinkering.

But after a few joyrides & an enthusiastic application of throttle, the (non-LSD) 10-bolt diff went bang. I crawled it a few hundred meters back to a mate's garage, but with the most horrific metal-in-pain sounds ever .

So... I have business days left before my roadtrip in it to sort out what to do.

I know most big-blocks have 12-bolt or (slightly) modified 9"ers, and at some stage I was planning on going down this route (&posi/LSD) when I got some bigger power, but for now time (&funds) are short.

Any suggestions?? Especially from Melbournites who can point me in the right direction for a solution this week so my summer can be salvaged....

THANKS!! Deano

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 21-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Name: Peter
Ford 9" is the only way to go. Got mine at Traverna chassis. You will need to supply your old 10 bolt housing and get some HQ drums from a wrecker. Handbrake cables bolt up ok. This time a year is a problem to get anything done
Old 21-12-2008, 07:33 AM

Name: Dave
Yep I agree. Dont muck around just put a 9" in there and cruise. Dont like your chances of getting it done before christmas or the new year though. At least you got to drive her at last
Old 21-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Yeah, was pretty much expecting this kind of reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Ford 9" is the only way to go. Got mine at Traverna chassis.
Roughly how much was this conversion? All new parts or reconditioned?
Old 21-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Name: Dave
Mine was roughly $4000. Bought the housing private, already set up for a 67. Then had all new everything put into it. Strange centre, Locker, Moser billet axles, brand new HQ brakes.
Old 21-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Name: Chris
If you want a short term fix I have a 10 bolt I was about to take to the tip you can have it free it's original out of my 68 camaro....I am in nth ringwood. Long term 12 bolt or 9 inch only way to go...let me know if you want it
Old 21-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Ford 9" is the only way to go. Got mine at Traverna chassis. You will need to supply your old 10 bolt housing and get some HQ drums from a wrecker. Handbrake cables bolt up ok. This time a year is a problem to get anything done
When we used to stuff around with stock parts, that used to be the only way.
Now with the aftermarket having what it does, a 12 bolt can easily be as strong, if not, stronger than a stock 9".

However, the 9" center, new axles and 10 bolt tubes/brakes if a good idea.

Yep, this is the worst time of year.

I have a 9" in my Camaro and can't wait to put a Moser 12 Bolt in there..
Old 21-12-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
I have a 10 bolt I was about to take to the tip you can have it free it's original out of my 68 camaro...let me know if you want it
Whoa - That's super-kind of you Mr Cluxford! I'm Templestwe, so would be too easy! The catch is I jsut found out my rear end is actually HQ Holden rather than Chev & previous owner thinks is different centre, plus bit of stuff around to change-over (plus I have all new shoes, cylinders etc etc).

So will kindly tip my hat, pass for now & get a replacement (cheap/readily available) HQ centre. Then save for a stronger replacement long-term.
Old 21-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Name: Gareth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
Heyaz,

What started out a most excellent of all days has gone downhill a tad. With my 454 '67 arriving the a coupe ofdays ago, passing rego & rwc yesterday, I spent a glorious Melbourne afternoon cruising with my girl, then out to some mate's to show it off & start the tinkering.

But after a few joyrides & an enthusiastic application of throttle, the (non-LSD) 10-bolt diff went bang. I crawled it a few hundred meters back to a mate's garage, but with the most horrific metal-in-pain sounds ever .

So... I have business days left before my roadtrip in it to sort out what to do.

I know most big-blocks have 12-bolt or (slightly) modified 9"ers, and at some stage I was planning on going down this route (&posi/LSD) when I got some bigger power, but for now time (&funds) are short.

Any suggestions?? Especially from Melbournites who can point me in the right direction for a solution this week so my summer can be salvaged....

THANKS!! Deano

Sounds familiar, mine went bang on the way home from John's rod and Custom Picnic about a month back.
I'm going the 12 bolt route and have sourced a rebuilt original from the states. Won't be here for a while though so the 69 is sadly parked in the shed for the time being......
Old 22-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Name: Peter
Roughly how much was this conversion? All new parts or reconditioned?[/QUOTE]

If you supply the drums and the 10 bolt you should get away with $2500 for new 31 spline axles and using a second hand 9" housing. This would be a Ford motorsport centre with ratio of your choice
Old 22-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Name: Gareth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
So will kindly tip my hat, pass for now & get a replacement (cheap/readily available) HQ centre. Then save for a stronger replacement long-term.
This might be an easy option for the 9" conversion then if your set up for HQ.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-9-HOUSIN...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 22-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Such bad timing - After ringing around all morning, guys want $500-600 to repair the 10-bolt... and that's IF I take it out of the car & drop it down there etc.

Makes SO much more sence putting that toward a 9" etc, but ruins the summer break I've rushed so hard to get the car ready for

Still - I've put in a query to that one one ebay - Ta for head's up!

At least I got one decent summer pic in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB128- 006.jpg (81.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg DB128- 012.jpg (28.1 KB, 284 views)
Old 22-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Name: Josh
looks tuff!

your in Vic, we should cruise, when you get the diff sorted.
Old 22-12-2008, 03:50 PM

If your going to do a 9" conversion your really better off ordering up what you need/want in the first place rather than work with something thats already done..... I can't tell you how many customers try and do this to save $$$$ yet it ends up costing them more in the long run to make what they want out of someone elses junk...

I'll be posting pics of my 9" housing very soon.... well as soon as I get time to finish fabbing it all up.... all new.. no used parts at all not as expensive as you'd think either

Meh.....
Old 22-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
looks tuff!

your in Vic, we should cruise, when you get the diff sorted.
Cheers JJ! Will cruise for sure. Yeah, I'm absoluely stoked with the new beast. I was pretty bummed about this setback, but is what owning a project muscle car is all about eh!

When I whinged to a mate today about maybe throwing $600 away on a 10-bolt rebuild, then upgrade in a few months he said "If someone offered you a tough BBC Camaro to rent for $600 for 3 months, what would you do?" Naturally I'd jump on it - Which is why I'm just getting it on the road for Summer rather than having it on blocks (no offence to the guys still in-progress!!! Haha...

Took the diff out tonight. Had 3.55 gears in it which are a bugger to replace, but hoping to get the 3.36s on ebay if not sold, so should do. Else cruise on 3.08s for a while...

Thanks to all for advice! Keen to know more in coming months...