Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22-10-2016, 11:48 AM

Name: Nathan
Headlights

Just wondering if anyone has used the jw speaker 8700 evolution 2 or truck lite 27270c led headlights?

After having led headlights in the navara I've gotta say I'm not real keen on the standard Camaro lights anymore.
Or if anyone else has any other options to look at. I'll be driving my car to work occasionally & we get a few roos about

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Name: Roger
My current plan is to use the JW Speaker 8700 evolution 2 on the 70 Camaro. Should have them in next couple of weeks, I can give you some feedback then.

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 22-10-2016, 02:48 PM

Sweet as! Did you get them local or o/s?
Old 25-10-2016, 03:43 AM

Name: Luke
I have a set of the Aussie approved TruckLights in my '69, an amazing headlight that still looks "similar" to the originals....but better! Don't go the import version, you will just end up with people flashing you consistently as the import version dip Right. A shot of mine installed below (unfortunately don't have any of them o ):

I know some love them, but i can't stand the JW Speaker 8700 evo2s in the older cars e.g.; esp late 60's models, they have great reviews but just don't look right IMO....just my opinion though, they may look alright in a '70 Camaro as they are a totally different shape....here they are in a Mustang

Old 25-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
I have a set of the Aussie approved TruckLights in my '69, an amazing headlight that still looks "similar" to the originals....but better! Don't go the import version, you will just end up with people flashing you consistently as the import version dip Right. A shot of mine installed below (unfortunately don't have any of them o ):

I know some love them, but i can't stand the JW Speaker 8700 evo2s in the older cars e.g.; esp late 60's models, they have great reviews but just don't look right IMO....just my opinion though, they may look alright in a '70 Camaro as they are a totally different shape....here they are in a Mustang
Couldn't agree more Luke, yours look sweet. I just did a google, is the brand spelt Trucklite?

Still trying to deal with the dilemma of not being able to stare at my car while driving it.
Better to build to a budget than not at all.
Youtube Channel: Shift Happens
Instagram: Shift Happens
Old 25-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Tom, yep truck lite 27270c is the one I'm pretty sure.

Luke, I don't mind the jw speaker look. I'd get the black ones tho. Mines a 69 but have the rs front so they won't be seen a lot anyway. Either way I'd be ordering for rhd for the reason you mentioned.

Did you get yours locally? Any mods required to fit or a straight swap?
Old 25-10-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Tom, yep truck lite 27270c is the one I'm pretty sure.

Luke, I don't mind the jw speaker look. I'd get the black ones tho. Mines a 69 but have the rs front so they won't be seen a lot anyway. Either way I'd be ordering for rhd for the reason you mentioned.

Did you get yours locally? Any mods required to fit or a straight swap?
Yep sorry TruckLite is the correct spelling I believe the JWs were primarily designed for jeeps but as you said they would be fine on an RS front end as you would only ever see them when they are on, you would just need to check that the housing will fit in the Camaro buckets (the JW housing size varies depending on the light combo you choose) i did notice JW also have a ring mounting kit but i don't know if its needed, Roger may be able to confirm this?

As far as the Truckles go, the part number for the ADR Approved Trucklite LED Headlight is 27291C, the other one is the older US part number and when you put the headlights side by side they are actually a slightly different design, see below:

ADR Approved Trucklite LED Headlight 27291C

US Trucklite LED Headlight 27270C (these had minor shading issues)

New version of the US Trucklite LED Headlight ECE 27290C (same as oz version)

They include park/running lights (they look like two little eyes on the front) and the usual low/high beam and if ordering them online make sure you select the 12v version too :roll eyes:

Install is really easy, although I actually decided to make a full new front harness as I didn't want to use the H4 plugs and I also wanted to have the park lights come on with the bottom ones, other than that it was just plug and play. They also only draw around 1.3A for the main beam and 2A with full High beams which is bugger all.

The only other real difference is that the Trucklite is a reflector design (LED pointing back using the reflector to spread the light) whereas the JW is a projector type (LED facing forward with lens) apparently these perform better when the cars are higher off the ground (e.g; lifted jeeps). I highly recommend the Trucklites but have also heard good things about the JW's so imagine you would be ok with either option, just make sure you double check the install requirements.

I bought mine locally at AV Truck parts (WA) but if you go to the trucklite website they have a heap of dealers around the east coast as well and shop around as I saved $135ea just by ringing around neither option is cheap but they are worth the $$
Old 26-10-2016, 03:47 PM

Appreciate the info mate! I've been speaking with northridge 4x4 on both the jw & truck lite.

The jw were $525 shipped & truck lite $450. Obviously I didn't have the adr truck lite number you mentioned above so not sure how they'd compare. Prices were u.s so I might try a few places here & see what they can offer.

I did ask him if they thought the jw were worth the extra coin since they sold both & they said yes. Wether that's just because they make more from the jw or they're a better light I have no idea.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Gotta say I looked at the truck lite au site but can't find any dealers
Old 26-10-2016, 05:14 PM

Name: Jim
^^^^^Do any of you guys actually drive your cars in the dark

Or is it more of a "wank factor" deal

Last edited by rodent; 26-10-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Old 26-10-2016, 05:40 PM

Name: Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post

that car is beautiful Luke is it regoed yet
Old 26-10-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
^^^^^Do any of you guys actually drive your cars in the dark

Or is it more of a "wank factor" deal
Why is that Jim?
Old 26-10-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 HQ View Post
Why is that Jim?
Just curious, more than anything

If you only drive around in the daylight hours, spending that sort of coin for a pair of lights that will never be put to use seems a waste of cash that could be better put to use somewhere else.

IMO
Old 26-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Just curious, more than anything

If you only drive around in the daylight hours, spending that sort of coin for a pair of lights that will never be put to use seems a waste of cash that could be better put to use somewhere else.

IMO
Just curious why I'd be looking for a set of reasonably expensive headlights to only drive around in daylight? Before my car came off the road for what's been done I was using it as a daily driver for a while.

Fair chance that'll happen again when it's back on the road. I'm not one to leave it sitting in the shed. I have fun driving mine which is why it's gone the way it has.
Old 26-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Just curious why I'd be looking for a set of reasonably expensive headlights to only drive around in daylight? Before my car came off the road for what's been done I was using it as a daily driver for a while.

Fair chance that'll happen again when it's back on the road. I'm not one to leave it sitting in the shed. I have fun driving mine which is why it's gone the way it has.
It was a question bro, not a sledge
Old 26-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It was a question bro, not a sledge
Lol all good mate. I did agree with your 2nd post about putting the $$ to better use if not needed. Technically I probably don't need them but on some of the rural roads I'd rather have better lights than not have them