Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Name: Justin
Wide body for big tyres? I been chatting with Jay, and the new eXtreme chassis can accommodate 315's up front ... is on my shopping list, after LS

I'm thinking of building a front splitter shortly, looks bada$$ (shortly means when I find some time haha .. maybe January ) but want to be able to remove it for the street, lest I be wiping out on every damn speed bump etc

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 PM

Name: Luke
Hey Justin only doing the wide body so I can turn the front wheels because they are so far up in the guards now. Will still only be a 275 wide tyre on the front.
Old 25-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Outer tubs starting to take shape. Made new ones so we could get maximum clearance on the upper outside edge to qtr panel. Stock ones rolled in too much. Should have these completed in the next day or so.

Pic of rear at about ride height. Need to shorten diff about 20mm a side to give clearance on top outside of tub. Diff was fine at stock ride height but now too close as the qtr panel comes in the lower you go.

Old 26-07-2016, 04:38 AM

Name: Lyndsay
That's seriously in the weeds Luke. Front has me confused, how a e you going to turn the wheels?

Last edited by 69SS; 30-07-2016 at 03:14 AM..
Old 26-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Name: Justin
Gangster!
Old 26-07-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
That's seriously in the weeds Luke. Front to be ha me confused,meow you going to turn the wheels?
Haha they are the back ones not for the front. Just sitting over the front wheels for the pic.
Old 26-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Name: Tom
Bringing the future to the classics..

Old 26-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Smart ass!! I knew when I posted that pic it looked all wrong haha
Old 31-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Name: Cheyne
Hi everyone, I'm Cheyne, I'm helping Luke with this build. Ill be doing the majority of the fab work and will generally be helping out wherever I can.

Luke rang me about 12 months ago and asked if I'd be interesting in redoing a flat firewall for him. At that stage that was all I was going to be doing on the car but it has kind of snowballed a bit from there.

Ill post in this thread semi-regularly in addition to Luke's posts, trying not to double up on too many pics or info. Ill let him explain all the design plans for the car and Ill just post fabrication pics as it progresses.

At this stage I only do this part time for a hobby to earn some extra cash, so I only get about 10 hours a week on the car. Please don't expect a super quick build, but we will try to keep making decent progress each week.

Ill start with when I began working on the car.

First up was the new firewall -

[/IMG]

Braced to ensure it was flat and the fender bolt holes were in the correct place

[/IMG]

Creating the recess

[/IMG] The beginning of the recess

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

fully welded

[/IMG]

Welded into the car. We also had to box out a section of the plenum to allow it to sit flat with the recess, Luke posted a pic of that earlier.

[/IMG]

Last edited by speaks; 06-08-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Old 31-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Next up was shaving the cowl vents and straightening up the top of the plenum.

The pics are pretty self explanatory here.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 31-07-2016, 07:17 PM

After the cowl vents I did some small rust repairs on the guards.

Both sides were the same, basically just had to make a new piece for the inner brace then a new top piece.

[IMG][/IMG]

After this we left the car for a few months While Luke decided what direction to go with it. Eventually we decided to body drop it and redo the floor and rails, so he brought the car up to my place and we got started on it again about a month ago.
Old 31-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Luke has pretty much covered what we have done with the new floor height in his last few posts so Ill skip forward to what Ive been working most recently.

To run at the ride height we want, mini tubs were not going to be enough. They would have given us the width we needed but we also needed to gain about 3" more clearance in height. Basically it needs a set of full tubs like you would put in a drag car. I didn't want to do basic drag car style tubs, were a lot of the time the tub is just run straight across then is either tacked or siliconed to the quarter panel. I wanted them to still look fairly standard from inside the car so I started making some new inners that sat closer to the quarter panel and had the extra height we needed.

First up half a tub was tacked in place at the desired height

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

templates were made and some rough shape was wheeled into the sections

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

tacked together in place

[IMG][/IMG]

after a test fit the wheels still were going to rub so I hammered and wheeled some more shape into them to get them closer to the quarter panel. Alot of climbing in and out of the car checking fit and adjusting.

[IMG][/IMG]

finally sitting how they needed to be

[IMG][/IMG]

as a comparison, this is the standard inner sitting inside

[IMG][/IMG]

All welded up, with 6mm rod to edge them and add stiffness. They are about 80% metal finished, but I still need to clean them up a bit more when I finish the rest of the tubs.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 31-07-2016, 07:52 PM

Before finishing up the other side of the tubs I have to get the rails notched and pie cuts welded up so I can get them back in the car. This way I can make sure the tubs sit nicely against them.

First up I welded up the pie cuts. The rails were tacked to the bench first to some the from warping.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Luke wanted to sleeve the front of the rails so it is possible to remove the link arms without having to unbolt the front pocket.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next up was the notch. We only needed to go about 20mm with these.
after some strips of 50x3mm flat bar was bent around some 3.5" pipe(same diameter as the axle tubes) I marked and cut the rails to suit.

New pieces tacked in place

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

same as with the pie cuts I tacked the rails to the bench to prevent them from warping before welding.

[IMG][/IMG]

I migged these instead of tig so I would have a fatter weld bead that could be linished to match the radius of the rest of the rail.

[IMG][/IMG]

Notches complete

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We will be tying a crossmember into this section of the rails to replace some of the strength that was lost by cutting into them.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:17 PM

Bit more work done this week by Speaksy. Outer tubs finished with 5mm rod welded around the outside edge and rails all welded up and small notch put in them.

Put a tube through rails at the front bolt location for the lower link arms. This will allow the bolts to be put in place and be able to remove arms without the need to remove leaf spring pocket. We can now weld the pocket in position too.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Name: Peter
Thats some nice metalwork Luke, if i had those skills i'd be dangerous.