Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Name: Vic
RHD Camaro Extractor

Hi folks

I have a 79 Camaro with a 350. It has been converted to right hand drive. There are no off-the-shelf extractors for this. Just want to know what if anyone has fitted extractors to a RHD Camaro - what extractors did you use? . I have had a guess at possibly HK-HG Holden's with 350's in them. Appreciate any thoughts

Cheers

Vic

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Name: Chris
I don't think the HK-HG would work, because with the Holden, the steering box is behind the front axle and your Camaro has the steering box in front of the axle. I would think a closer fit would be HQ Holden, as it has the steering box in front. Of course, you could always get them made $$$. There'll be others here that've been in the same boat as you, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by bonnevista; 25-07-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Old 26-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Name: Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnevista View Post
I don't think the HK-HG would work, because with the Holden, the steering box is behind the front axle and your Camaro has the steering box in front of the axle. I would think a closer fit would be HQ Holden, as it has the steering box in front. Of course, you could always get them made $$$. There'll be others here that've been in the same boat as you, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the reply. I had not considered that. I will have a look at the HQ set up. I really don't want to spend loads to get them custom made. I see on eBay that you can buy do it yourself kits which come with all the pipes etc and you weld them together. Not that expensive but it looks like a lot of work and I am not a great welder. HAs anyone tried the do it yourself extractor kits?

Cheers
Old 30-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Name: Deano
I can't offer much based on my RHD setup as it's a BBC & has (tight fit) custom tri-Ys.

But I'd also be thinking and HQ SBC header would be the go given the considerable similarities of the front end/subframe.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Name: Greg
Buy HQ Chev S/B Pacemakers (4 into 1) and use only left hand side.Tried this years ago on a RHD 1970 SS 350 Camaro and found the right hand side no good as it fouled the steering shaft. Had to have a custom driver side header made
Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Name: Justin
You could always just buy something close to a fit and re-route the pipes. May only be 1 or 2 that foul. I just re-routed a pipe on my headers where we just cut, twisted a bit and re-welded so they fit.