Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Name: Deano
Import Approval For Local Car Not on Database?

Hiya all,

Just wondering the required steps for the below case:

- 70's US-produced vehicle, with local RHD conversion in 90's
- Was successfully registered & driven in QLD for years
- Registration lapsed over 10 years ago and the vehicle is not listed in the current national rego database
- There is no ‘blue’ mod plate (often seen on Qld imported vehicles)

So.. what’s required to get rego in Victoria?

No doubt a VASS certificate from an engineer then RWC, but I wasn’t sure about an Import Approval or other (given that it’s an overseas vehicle).

Any thoughts appreciated! Cheers, Deano

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Name: Darren
My understanding is the without either the import approval papers or some evidence of previous registration, you will be in for a world of hurt on this, i.e. you will not be able to register it.

Some guys have struggled with 60's US cars that were sold new here back in the day because they couldn't provide evidence of import approval.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Ask the dept Deano it changes often. In Qld now if it was registered there’s no issue. If it was LHD and mostly unmodified it doesn’t even need a blue plate now.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
Ask the dept Deano it changes often. In Qld now if it was registered there’s no issue. If it was LHD and mostly unmodified it doesn’t even need a blue plate now.
Yeah, it's not on the national database so no system proof it was previously rego'd (in Qld or anywhere). So as far as they're concerned it doesn't exist. Hence assume need engineer, but wasn't sure about Import Approval. Asking Vicroads anything is a nightmare, so thought would try the crew here first
Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 PM

You mention that there is "no system proof" but do you have old rego papers, a window sticker, etc?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 PM

You probably want to check directly with the QLD rego authorities, they may have more historical data.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Name: Peter
whats up ?

What you up to Deano? What are you looking at ?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
You probably want to check directly with the QLD rego authorities, they may have more historical data.
Yup this is the best way to go Deano. They should be able to run the vin.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Name: Chris
Whilst I haven't done this myself and don't know the intimate details, I know of two different cars with separate owners that had cars without import approval.

All they did was apply for import approval themselves, disclosing that the cars were already here.

They both got import approval for the cars.

Last edited by bonnevista; 06-06-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys. So just to clarify;
- There is no rego plate, sticker, old rego papers or history of what the rego number was. Not even a photo.
- It changed hands (unregistered) within a family over several decades and details were lost.
- As stated, we've run the VIN with Qld Dept Transport and they have no record of it nor the Engine #. Rego expired before the current database system.
- My mate who is ex-cop also ran the VIN and no record.

I know it's an unusual one. I'll reach out to Vicroads *groan* and see what the options are. Cheers.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:21 AM

It's probably not that unusual in the scheme of things and it looks like Chris has given you an option to pursue regards applying for retrospective import approval.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Ah sorry Deano I didn’t see you already run the Vin with Qld transport. Sounds like a lot of hassle then.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM

I purchased a 67 Chev that was imported, converted and sold brand new through a Victorian dealership in 1967. It hadn't been registered since 1980 which pre-dated VicRoads electronic database so there was no record of the car in their system. I didn't have import papers but the car still had the expired 1980 rego sticker on the vent window, however this wasn't good enough for the Department of Transport in SA.
So, with no electronic record or import papers the Department asked that the car be engineered prior to going across their own pit for inspection. Luckily the original 1967 conversion was deemed suitable to both the engineer and the Department and therefore registration was issued.
Long story short. You probably wont need import papers but an engineers report for the vehicle plus the Government inspection across the pits is probably what they'll need. Ask the question first of Motor Reg in your state before buying or spending any money on the car.
Also, keep in mind that it might get expensive if the RHD conversion fails the engineers inspection, I've heard a few horror stories associated with old conversions.
All the best, hope it goes well.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 PM

Sweet. Cheers for that. Anyone want to have a punt on ballpark engineer report cost? $500? $1000? $2000?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
Sweet. Cheers for that. Anyone want to have a punt on ballpark engineer report cost? $500? $1000? $2000?
That all happened in 2014. I called a few engineers and was quoted between $600 and $1200. However, if the car was highly modified the inspection would also have required track testing (lane change, braking, etc ,etc) and this would have substantially increased the inspection cost.

Last edited by alp003; 06-06-2018 at 09:46 PM..