Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 29-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Name: luke
hey Nev,
picked up this very nice black Knight, just about to send it out to get the 240V done & get the tech to do a check over,
then I'll give it a clean up & do some adjustments & relive my 80's youth,
If your down south give me a buzz,
sorry boys to derail the USAtoAUS thread

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Not a derail it was my 1980's as well... save $0.40 from the lunch money - $0.20 for chips and $0.20 for either Space Invaders or Pinball at the fish and chip shop
Old 29-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Name: Paul
WOW! Nice! I spent far too many hours staring at that GORGAR pinball machine hahaha
Old 29-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
hey Nev,
picked up this very nice black Knight, just about to send it out to get the 240V done & get the tech to do a check over,
Well done, I need video of the multi ball play.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 30-01-2014, 01:39 AM

Name: Matt
Hi Phil, I'm looking at buying a vrscdx soon. Was just curious about costings to bring one over from the US. Is there any problem here registering an imported bike, 2011-13 model? I'm aware things have to be changed for compliance, Tyres, lights, speedo etc. any other issues I should be aware of?
What's the breakdown of costs ( freight, duty etc)to import please? Pm me if you like.
Cheers
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 AM

Matt the first thing to do is identify who can and will do the compliance and have a chat with them on what they charge. From there we can arrange a quote for you.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Name: Darren
Looks like I will be off the the US in a few weeks, can I just buy a car over there and drop it off at the depot in Charlotte for the trip back home?
Old 29-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Darren, yes this is not a problem we have a lot of clients that do the same thing. Email us and we will give you all the details. We are moving to a larger warehouse this week that is closer in to Charlotte.

Cheers
Old 31-03-2014, 12:54 AM

Name: Darren
Thanks mate, email sent, might turn into just a parts buying trip, but will still need to send them back anyway.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
hey Nev,
What did the 240V conversion cost you? I have a couple and I am running them on a large inverter.
Old 27-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by matching numbers View Post
I used USATOAUS a couple of years ago to get me a Chevy.

I didn't pay the nonrefunable $1000 fee for an inspection due to A: me being naive. B: Their website states they only get cars west of mid Texas and not the eastern seaboard. Okay, I'm good with that and short on funds,so I felt okay making that decision. The description stated 'Some rust". Well, it's west, so a few areas I thought..
I would have expected them to see the car isn't as described and contacted me.. "hey, we've seen the car and it's way off beam.. We can pull out or try for a better price".. because the proprietor's the one traveling all over the US looking and picking up cars. (keep that in mind for later).
WRONG. WRONG.
I asked them where it was located. Ignored.
In fact, after I stupidly paid my deposit, I would ring them FOUR TIMES for a single response on a single question. I would get conflicting answers from the same person for a single question. Fit the "L" word in here.
It wasn't until paper work showed that it became obvious where it was from. I kept a positive attitude. Dumbass..
Anyway, 4 weeks.. 6 weeks.. phone calls.. 8 weeks.. "on the boat" 10, 12..
"it's being loaded on the boat".. 4 months.. 6 months..
EIGHT MONTHS.

It finally arrives. They wouldn't tell me where it is. A friend at the time took the trouble to go looking. He found it at AQIS Port of Brisbane. He calls me. "I found your car... Mate, you may not .. it's not what you think it should be.. She's pretty rusty."
After 8 months of the royal runaround, I wsa glad it's nearly at an end.. but really worried about what I'll find.
The next day, I go out there. The AQIS staff were pretty good people and took pity on me... Even saying they're not suprised at my story..
AQIS were nearly going to ship it back to the USA. GUESS WHY.
SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS later, AQIS cleaned my vehicle to a point that they could sign off on it being released. Folks, I still have wasp nests on the diff . They said and I quote "This has to be one of the dirtiest cars we've seen in a long time here. You were very lucky to not have had it shipped back out on the next boat". UNQUOTE.

When I looked at the car, I noticed two wide scuff marks on the roof. When I got it home and fired it up, I heard a clanging. It was the flywheel hitting the flat dent on the metal shield on the bottom, where a fork tine has squashed it.
The hubcaps were missing.

My car has, rust in ALL this models favourite spots. Not a couple, but all. I would expect, even without a full inspection that a customer would be brought aware of such things.. Just normal customer service.. Not a "too bad so sad" attitude, a dusting off of hands and walking away.

I even asked for a refund and was ignored. Once they have your money, THAT'S IT. If you're religious, then you know what to do.

Oh yes, my point about the proprietor traveling all over the countryside.. This is what I was regularly told when my first three calls a time weren't replied to in a week or two and why. Some receptionists refer to it as "out in the field"...
Now I was told that my car was out in the sticks and it was hard to find a tow that'd go out there. Also the seller wanted cash.. so they had to use a local car dealer to exchange funds.. then truck it some more.. I expected maybe a week or two for that.

8 MONTHS...

Will I use USATOAUS again? No.

TIPS: Find out where your intended shipper is business registered and contact the local consumer rights dept to see if any complaints have been made about them.
Contact your local consumer dept... they might have heard.

Ask car clubs, not just in your state but others as well what they know of your intended shipper.

Do not rely on their "customer referals". Scenario: "Hey Trev, yeah, it's me. Good mate good. Listen, I've got a bloke asking for good reports, could you help us out? Goodo ta. Yeah, your stuff is coming. Of course it's mates rates and a case of coldies.Yeah ta. CLICK"
Yeah, that's objective opinion right there.

Go to car shows.. ask guys face to face with cars already.. who they used.

Be patient. Be really really patient. Be so patient, you think you'll burst.You might even find something already here... Be like a cat. Sit quietly and watch what's going on in the area.. then move in.
I too would never have anything to do with or recommend this organisation to anyone and will be interested to see the reply I get from Lawrence, considering he stopped any communications with me 10 months ago and I am still trying to get the money out of him that Courts ordered he repay me, $2,100 to date but I expect that to increase as my costs are about to increase as I travel to the Brisbane Magistrates Court for the enforcement hearing, and I am in Newcastle!

I used USAtoAUS to import a 64 Thunderbird into Sydney. It was slow coming but I ignored that. When it arrived in Sydney, Indy would not tell me where it was until I paid another $425 for additional quarantine cleaning despite the car being in Showroom condition when it was delivered to USAtoAUS in Vancouver and their assurance that they clean and prepare the cars for inspection. This was on top of the $7,300 I had already paid to them (some of this was GST though). I asked Indy for a copy of the work order from AQIS and she said there wasn't one (BS).

I reluctantly paid the money and went to pick the car up. When I saw it the rear wheel skirts had been removed for some reason and they were in the boot but totally destroyed and there was about 300m of paint scuffed off the R/H lower sill at the front.

I sent photos to Indy, who passed it onto Phil, who passed it onto Lawrence.
Surprisingly Lawrence admitted the damage but hos compensation was pathetic. he offered to supply me with a second hand pair of 66 model skirts with surface rust (66 have different moldings and holes to a 64) with no offer to prep and paint them, and then was going to ship them in one of his containers meaning it would be another 4 months before they turned up. I refused this and said as mine were in mint condition I wanted some NOS that I had sourced and I wanted them air freighted and painted to match when they got here. I also said that these should be covered by the insurance i had paid.

That was the last I heard of Lawrence and he never replied to any of my emails again.

I took my case to QCAT and was awarded all the claims including the cost of parts and express shipping, as well as a refund for the bogus insurance policy I had paid for, and a refund for the bogus additional cleaning fee I had been charged to a total of $2,019.00.

Since the QCAT hearing result I have sent Lawrence a Letter of Demand and, as instructed by QCAT, a Statement of Financial Position form, and I have registered the decision with the Brisbane Magistrates Court. I am presently in the process of arranging an Enforcement Hearing in Brisbane.

All this could have been avoided if
(a) USAtoAUS took more care in shipping the vehicles.
or
(b) USAtoAUs had any inkling of customer service and their responsibility to adhere to the consumer laws of Australia
or
(c)
Lawrence had just done the right thing and repaired my car to the condition it was before he shipped it.

I have all the relevant documentation to back up every word I have typed here, so it will be interesting to see Lawrence's reply.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM

My last communication with Gary Redman was 25/8/14 where I explained how the Department of Agriculture (DAFF) operate and that I would let the owner of the business deal with the damaged wheels spats and address the scuff marks that, coincidentally, were not reported to anyone until after the vehicle had left the unpack depot.

Apart from sending his Import Approval, I don’t believe I have had any further communication with Mr. Redman as the matter was referred to Mr. Ryan and I had presumed, been dealt with.

Given that almost 12 months has passed and my emails are read and the phone is answered and messages are returned, one would have thought that Mr. Redman, who seems to have gone to considerable lengths, would have reached out and asked for some assistance on this matter. Instead it would seem Mr. Redman would rather spend time on Internet forums than getting the matter resolved.

I am assuming Mr. Redman “won” the case as Mr. Ryan was unaware it was happening and therefore unrepresented. Provided with the opportunity to represent himself I am sure the outcome would have and will be different.

Mr. Ryan does not frequent Internet forums, he is generally on the road doing inspections, collecting vehicle and packing containers. I will raise the matter with him and ensure that it is followed through.

I will address the situation with Mr. Ryan and Mr. Redman and attempt to resolve the matter which I would have done if it had been brought to my attention earlier.

If anyone else has an issue or concerns, feel free to call or email me: http://usatoaus.com/contact.html

Regards,

Phil Newell
Old 11-08-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtoAUS View Post
My last communication with Gary Redman was 25/8/14 where I explained how the Department of Agriculture (DAFF) operate and that I would let the owner of the business deal with the damaged wheels spats and address the scuff marks that, coincidentally, were not reported to anyone until after the vehicle had left the unpack depot.

Apart from sending his Import Approval, I don’t believe I have had any further communication with Mr. Redman as the matter was referred to Mr. Ryan and I had presumed, been dealt with.

Given that almost 12 months has passed and my emails are read and the phone is answered and messages are returned, one would have thought that Mr. Redman, who seems to have gone to considerable lengths, would have reached out and asked for some assistance on this matter. Instead it would seem Mr. Redman would rather spend time on Internet forums than getting the matter resolved.

I am assuming Mr. Redman “won” the case as Mr. Ryan was unaware it was happening and therefore unrepresented. Provided with the opportunity to represent himself I am sure the outcome would have and will be different.

Mr. Ryan does not frequent Internet forums, he is generally on the road doing inspections, collecting vehicle and packing containers. I will raise the matter with him and ensure that it is followed through.

I will address the situation with Mr. Ryan and Mr. Redman and attempt to resolve the matter which I would have done if it had been brought to my attention earlier.

If anyone else has an issue or concerns, feel free to call or email me: http://usatoaus.com/contact.html

Regards,

Phil Newell
I would like to comment that some of the facts Phil has stated here are not correct but I would also like to state that Phil has made contact with me and the possibility of a mutually satisfactory settlement is now a strong possibility, so I won't get into a pissing contest now.

The facts that I want to dispute is that Mr Ryan was totally aware of the dispute and had the opportunity to represent his business at the QCAT hearing as he was the one that requested an adjournment so that the paperwork could be sent to the US.

I did not contact Phil after the problem arose as both Phil and Indira passed it all onto Mr Ryan and after that my legal obligation was to send all correspondence to the registered owner of the business, Mr Ryan. Obviously if I thought Phil could have fixed it I wouldn't have gone to so much trouble trying to get My Ryan to fix it.

Anyway, watch this space for the final outcome.
Old 14-08-2015, 09:40 AM

A resolution has been reached in this matter with Phil taking over proceedings and making me a suitable offer for the damages.

From what I can see there appeared to be some miscommunication within USAtoAUS about what was happening and who was dealing with it, which was unfortunate for all of us involved.

I applaud Phil for his speedy action in addressing this and I wish I had dealt with him in the first place.
Old 14-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Name: Paul
Good to see it all got worked out on both sides of the fence. Never nice to have unresolved issues with people or companies. Good on you Phil.
1966 Pontiac LeMans convertible, Martinique Bronze and black top, black interior, 15x7 & 15x8 Rallye 2's, M/T Sportsman ST's 235/255, 464 Poncho, 6X-8 heads, RAIV cam, Quadrajet, ACC Street Bandit 9.6 lockup convertor, TH200R4, 3.55 Eaton Posi.