Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Car is looking good Steve, when it's back from paint jail how long will it take to finish it. Approx time 1-2 months?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Name: Steve
Yeah, I'm hoping so..
Still a few details to take care of, but nothing too time consuming.

Just hoping I don't need to wait on any more last minute parts. It seems that HBC do have a USA made grille that I really don't wanna have to freight and wait for. ..and the fit may not be any better either.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=blackoutsteve;60639]Yeah, I'm hoping so..
Still a few details to take care of, but nothing too time consuming.

Just hoping I don't need to wait on any more last minute parts. It seems that HBC do have a USA made grille that I really don't wanna have to freight and wait for. ..and the fit may not be any better either.[/QUOT

Look forward to seeing it complete and in the flesh, and not to mention a good burnout on private property of course.....
Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM

To anyone naive enough to assume that brand-new, major-brand, reproduction sheetmetal is going to fit your car straight out of the box. Think again!
This post doesn't show huge issues, but more of the smaller, tedious, time consuming, pain-in-the-butt, spend more money issues that make this hobby so much fun!

Today I went up to have a look at the grille & bumper today and discuss it's fitment.

The silver and black grilles are similar and neither are a great fit. One problem was the way that they are meant to fit, which is not anyone's fault, but maybe the repro fender skirts, which are preventing the grilles from sitting in place as they should.
Because the grille doesn't fit in deep enough (due to the fender skirts) the gaps on the sides are way exaggerated and look horrible.
The grille is supposed to fit into this recession on the fenders. (Ignore the RS mounting tabs that have been pressed out of the way.)

(Note bumper)

(Note bumper)

We were able to fit the black grille in deeper and this improved the gaps greatly. Factory spec is flush to 0.090" / 2.2mm. This will be within spec when fitted.

Still not fitting in as deeply as it should, here you can see how far off the mounting holes are on the headlamp brackets.

Both repro fender skirts' reinforcings were removed and refitted, but still are in the way preventing the grille's correct location. They still need some heavy handed influencing!

The bumper bar was "repaired" by Vinnies several years ago and in all honesty, is lousy.
See the two swages on the underside that are out of alignment by a lot.

Side view -off the car.

Off center. I don't know if this was Vinnies or from a previous repair where it's been welded, but the repaired center is off by a 1/4". (needs to move 1/8") -Doesn't sound like much at all until you look at it.

See the two above pictures where I "Note bumper" and you can see the amount of twist in it.
In those two pictures, the bumper is supposed to sit out, almost like it does in the RH side pic with Tim's orange jumper. 1/2" down from the top of the recess and 3/4" out is the GM spec.

You call this straight?

I call this straight! With all the coats of primer that get applied, most of it is rubbed off leaving only what's required to fill the lows. This fender will still see a final primer and then more rubbing.

Tim!

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 02-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: fix a url and all my ****ing typos!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Name: Mitch
Damn Steve its the last thing you need its inspirable how you just keep on pressing through and not losing interest or drive in the build!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed View Post
Damn Steve its the last thing you need its inspirable how you just keep on pressing through and not losing interest or drive in the build!
That would mean laying down and dying. Never!!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Yeah, like that would happen.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Name: SPARX
Send a message via Skype™ to camaro_1967rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
To anyone naive enough to assume that brand-new, major-brand, reproduction sheetmetal in going to fit your car straight out of the box. Think again!
Unfortunatly this is a story heard over and over again when it comes to repo parts.

My car is the same, slightly out rear quarter and its pushed all the other panels slightly out of alignment.

Will you be using a heat on your grill and a wet cloth to encourage it to fit?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Nope.. The grille will fit. Even though both grilles have their own shortcomings, it's not their fault as to why their fit is poor. Once surrounding parts are persuaded to accomodate, either one will fit as it should. I've decided to use the black one.
It's the bumper that is going to see heat and cop a beating. I think I'll do it myself actually..
I'm sick of paying fools to **** things up when I can do that for free.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Name: Rowan
I can see its very frustrating getting so close to finish paint and you have to jump through another few hoops to get it right. Stick at it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM

More emailed pics from Mick today..

It looks like maybe he has decided to use the silver grille.. I don't mind either way. He knows what he is doing.
With modification to the fender skirts, the grille sat in very nicely on the right side...

...but was a poor fit on the left.
When the grille opening contours of the two Goodmark fenders were compared, the left showed a different shape to the right. So, the left panel was reworked so they are now the same and the grille fit is good on both sides.

The trunk lid is now drilled for the rear spoiler and the "Camaro by Chevrolet" emblem holes repositioned.

Where the left 1/4 joins the rear-upper-body-panel in the trunk gutter on the left side was a "bit out". There were also careless cuts from when the old 1/4 was removed near 15 years ago.

The trunk lid still needs some work here, but it shows the lousy gap..

The cuts are now repaired and some filler is about all you can do.

Final primer tomorrow I am told.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Name: Nate
Looking good Steve.... Really coming together.

Must give up women... Well more than 1 anyway.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Name: Josh
not long till she's in her tux
Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Name: Mitch
Mick must love doing,. this as i love going to town on a car and being able to basicly show how good your skills are instead of customer says"i got 6k dont go over budget" your car is more about getting it perfect than meeting a budget!

Last edited by Detailed; 05-05-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed View Post
Mick must love doing this as i love going to town on a car and being able to basicly show how good your skills are instead of i got 6k dont go over budget its a this is around my budget but get it as perfect as possible!
Mitch, I read what you said about 8 or 10 times, and tried to imagine where your commas, quotation marks and full stops should be..
But I'm f-ed if I know!

I think I got it.. Yes, I'm not doing this 1/2 arsed. What page is this? 55? There's plenty of indication so far that I'm not holding back on very much.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 05-05-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Closed Thread