Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 31-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
have you considered bolting some mufflers on and dumping the pipe before the diff? save you alot of hassle, will sound awesome also
Nope, i don't care for the dumpers. Not that they're illegal, but I like the pipes exiting at the stock location. I'm also fitting two transverse Borlas between the axle and tank, so dumpers won't work. I need to shut the car up some. Don't worry though, it will still be loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Steve,
Do you still run the standard park brake set up?
How do you go for cable clearance?
I don't expect much clearance. I'll work it out. Probably running it over the exhaust on wear pillow blocks or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonner View Post
Hey Steve, Why 3 1/2, how much HP?

Greg
I expected to use a dual 3" as before, but the Burns Stainless program suggested 3.5". It meant more top-end power and I couldn't resist.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM

The instrument carrier conversion has probably been the most tedious and frustrating part of the conversion.
Most of it worked out quite well and was relatively easy to do. Plastex was used to chemically weld the ABS plastic that the instument carrier is made out of..
Here is a shot of all the vent mounting bosses in place where the heater control once was.

The problem came when swapping the headlamp and radio plates, so the radio would remain in the middle of the car.
(You can also see that I'm adding a factory tach (8000 rpm with 6000 redline) which is why a center fuel gauge is being fitted, and the other odd bowtie-looking cutout is for the rear window defroster. Cut out as per C50-A1 of the Factory Assembly Manual. )

Cutting them out and modifying them to fit in opposite locations was also easy enough, (you'd be surprised how different these two panels are in size), but what would I use to fill the gaps around them when fitted?

Superfine polyester body filler right? WRONG!

That stuff is messy as hell, very dufficult to work with at that scale, requires loads of sanding -impossible to do at that scale, and the sh!t doesn't come off with anything except abrasives.
Have you ever tried mixing a thimble load of the stuff then add what you think is 1 or 2% hardener?? That's what the whole problem was. I didn't add enough and the crap never went off. The mess it left behind was horrible to say the least.
What on Earth was I thinking???

Milliput 2-part epoxy to the rescue. This stuff is grouse. Water based, slow setting, controllable viscosty (add varying amounts of water) and available in black so no heavy painting is required. If I had have used this stuff from the start, I probably wouldn't need to paint and the end result would have better and done much sooner.

Don't mind the dust, but here is the finish. You can see the seem where this radio panel was shortened to fit. It's not at all obvious with the naked eye, but the flash pics it up well.

It's really tedious work.. I need to wear these surgical glasses to see what the hell I'm doing. 10X magnification.

Next major work on it is to fit it to the dash in the car. Soon!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Name: Mitch
I really do dislike it when you update your thread whilst I'm at work Steve. I can never see the pics, I have to wait until I get home each time... How inconsiderate of you

Lucky you're write ups are full of descriptive information and I can almost picture the pictures that I can't see....

Mitch
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Hey Mitch, I just have to put the connectors in a box and head to the post office.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Name: Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Hey Mitch, I just have to put the connectors in a box and head to the post office.
Ahh sweet!!

Tell me what I'm up for and I'll transfer it straight away.

Thanks Steve, your a champ!

Mitch
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Name: Jim
Steve..........we've met, and I've followed your build thread and I have some massive respect for you and your talent and some of your equipment but...........................you sir are a nerd(respectfully speaking )i could picture you wearing these gogs peeling oranges or maybe during some other intimate moments(not that I've really pictured your intimate moments )

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Why?? Look at the classic Rayban Wayfarer design.. Don't you think they're cool! ("Peggy Sue.. Peggy Sue..")

You know, I was almost going to snap a pic of me wearing these in the mirror, but I thought.. No, that's not a good idea. I'll let your own imagination help you out there..

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 01-08-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I was almost going to snap a pic of me wearing these in the mirror, but I thought.. No, that's not a good idea.
Of course it's not a good idea.....madman the flash would burn your retinas to a ferkin crisp
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Of course it's not a good idea.....madman the flash would burn your retinas to a ferkin crisp
.... and it would be hard to complete the build with raisins for eyeballs

Nev
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
.... and it would be hard to complete the build with raisins for eyeballs

Nev
Old 05-08-2009, 04:38 PM

First pair of Borlas are on and now it's over the axle to the other pair.. That shiny section of stainless will be de-polished and will dull with normal use to match the rest of the system. This is one of the problems when dealing with unusual diameters.. Stock is bought from several suppliers as one supplier doesn't have everything, and the different suppliers also source from different places too. Consistancy is difficult, as often is supply.

The other pair are 6" round Borlas and are mounted transverse between the axle & fuel tank. Believe it or not, every 1st Gen Camaro, be it stock 6cyl, V8, Dual N10, Dual NC8.. they all had mufflers mounted here. (So don't look so surprised with why I'm fitting them there! )
This tube will be cut where the bend ends and the muffler fitted to it. You can see how tight it is at this end of the car too.

Surprisingly, this 3.5" system is tucked up very nicely. Ground clearance is better than expected.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 08-11-2014 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: re hosting lost images
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Why?? Look at the classic Rayban Wayfarer design.. Don't you think they're cool! ("Peggy Sue.. Peggy Sue..")
Say yah! I think I will track a pair down and get a regular pair of correction lenses put in!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
First pair of Borlas are on and now it's over the axle to the other pair.. That shiny section of stainless will be de-polished and will dull with normal use to match the rest of the system. This is one of the problems when dealing with unusual diameters.. Stock is bought from several suppliers as one supplier doesn't have everything, and the different suppliers also source from different places too. Consistancy is difficult, as often is supply.

The other pair are 6" round Borlas and are mounted transverse between the axle & fuel tank. Believe it or not, every 1st Gen Camaro, be it stock 6cyl, V8, Dual N10, Dual NC8.. they all had mufflers mounted here. (So don't look so surprised with why I'm fitting them there! )
This tube will be cut where the bend ends and the muffler fitted to it. You can see how tight it is at this end of the car too.

Surprisingly, this 3.5" system is tucked up very nicely. Ground clearance is better than expected.
Looking good!

Two things:

The drive shaft loop looks like it is bolted through into the rear floor into the forward area of the seat re-inforcement. Did are the bolts thru the floor only, or did you add some additional support metal?

And........

Do you know the torque rating of the AL drive shaft?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM

That's a steel driveshaft that's simply painted "steel". Camaro driveshafts were unpainted..
No idea what the torque ratings are, but someone like Moser should be able to tell you.
I intend on buying an aluminium shaft when I order my 12 Bolt. Purely for weight saving, as the steel is stronger.

The driveshaft loop does mount under the seat re-inforcement and access holes were cut to fit an anchor plates. The loop needs to be arount 6" rearward of the front uni. No, it's not the neatest install ever.
I did consider drilling smaller holes and fitting crush tubes with the plates and nuts protruding on top, but then the carpet would have been pulled up by it.
At least this way, the plate and nuts are recessed and the carpet covers everything.

That's roughly a 3" x 5" x 1/4" plate with rounded edges to prevent tearing through the sheet metal in the event of a failure. Never fit an anchor plate with sharp corners, and don't rely on a few big washers. You do not want the loop getting loose with the shaft! You'll all of a sudden have two Camaros!!
I caulked the holes to stop moisture entering.

All the fasterners are period-correct () with locking nuts.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Heh heh! Fooled me with the AL look on the driveshaft!

Asked about torque because of the lower capacity of AL. Steel is fine.

And are your "lift" bars on the rear end slapper style, or are they fastened at the front.
Closed Thread