Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Motor Sport - Drag/Track Racing.
User Name
Password

Old 21-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Name: Stuart
Bolt In Roll Cages

Been doing some research and found that ANDRA have now approved bolt in cages to run as low as 8.0. This is to encourage people with street registred cars to race. There are pretty strict guidelines on fabrication, material, fasteners etc, minimum of 6 point with side intrusion bars.
Just wondering if anyone had taken the plunge and had one fitted, people's thoughts on caging a street car, etc. I'm in the position where I am giving it serious consideration but don't want to loose the street appeal of my car. Any feedback much appreciated.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 21-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezerk68 View Post
Been doing some research and found that ANDRA have now approved bolt in cages to run as low as 8.0. This is to encourage people with street registred cars to race. There are pretty strict guidelines on fabrication, material, fasteners etc, minimum of 6 point with side intrusion bars.
Just wondering if anyone had taken the plunge and had one fitted, people's thoughts on caging a street car, etc. I'm in the position where I am giving it serious consideration but don't want to loose the street appeal of my car. Any feedback much appreciated.
Stuart ,
I know ANDRA is approving these on a case by case review . You do have to submit the design for approval - before fitting . You may want to talk to Rod Andrews race cars he does a lot of cages . Maybe Bond rollcages as well , though I think they mostly do road racing stuff . Also check with a vehicle engineer as they do have to be engineered . The bolt in sections may primarily be the side intrusion and taxi bars , the engineer may not like the stub/mounting points for these . I did talk to Rod Andrews a while back , when I had a cage bent up for a 67 Dart , and he did not do a bolt out taxi bar at that time . As I am sure you are aware if you have a fixed taxi bar in a 2 door you must either have the rear seat marked as not for passenger use or removed . There is also height/space restrictions for clearances .
You may want to wait a little longer till ANDRA release their new rule and class changes for next year .
I would be happy for a roll bar and 2 back stays but who knows what ANDRA will do

Tex
Old 21-08-2014, 08:22 AM

My understanding is that we could even get a bolt in rear half which is good for 10.0;so the whole hoop and taxi bar is one piece, which is removable and the rear stays bolt between the hoop and parcel tray, you do need to run side intrusion bars also. I'm only keen if the entire cage is removable and all that remains in car are the floor plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex013 View Post
Stuart ,
I know ANDRA is approving these on a case by case review . You do have to submit the design for approval - before fitting . You may want to talk to Rod Andrews race cars he does a lot of cages . Maybe Bond rollcages as well , though I think they mostly do road racing stuff . Also check with a vehicle engineer as they do have to be engineered . The bolt in sections may primarily be the side intrusion and taxi bars , the engineer may not like the stub/mounting points for these . I did talk to Rod Andrews a while back , when I had a cage bent up for a 67 Dart , and he did not do a bolt out taxi bar at that time . As I am sure you are aware if you have a fixed taxi bar in a 2 door you must either have the rear seat marked as not for passenger use or removed . There is also height/space restrictions for clearances .
You may want to wait a little longer till ANDRA release their new rule and class changes for next year .
I would be happy for a roll bar and 2 back stays but who knows what ANDRA will do

Tex
Old 21-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Name: Phil
Cages

I would approach with caution Stuart. ANDRA have a history of changing rules at an apparent whim to suit whoever(?) and too bad if you have already spent money for something is now non-compliant.
Would you not have to have fixed pipe stubs on the floor plates to slip into or over the cage pipe sections?
Where are you thinking the front end of the intrusion bar will finish?

If in doubt, go flat out.
Old 21-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Looking at the diagrams on the andra site the floor plates are flush with a hole in the middle so the hoop actually locates in it. The front intrusion bars run forward as normal and turn 90 deg down to floor. I'm hearing what you are saying, but the full 6 point is already a go, drawings have to be submitted first, just want clarification on a half cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would approach with caution Stuart. ANDRA have a history of changing rules at an apparent whim to suit whoever(?) and too bad if you have already spent money for something is now non-compliant.
Would you not have to have fixed pipe stubs on the floor plates to slip into or over the cage pipe sections?
Where are you thinking the front end of the intrusion bar will finish?
Old 21-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Name: Justin
Definitely an incentive in my books - bolt in the cage for a race meet, only knocking your head for 1/2 a day - rip it out again and she's back to a head banging free cruiser
Old 21-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Name: Chris
Its all in the ANDRA rulebook.
http://www.andra.com.au/images/stori...egulations.pdf
I have my Bolt in 6 point cage all but finished in my 56.
GAS455 has one fitted in his Pontiac as well and it has been ANDRA preteched. I know of at least another 10 finished or in construction.
Single Rollover Hoop with removable side intrusion
The following vehicles require a
single rollover hoop covering the
full width of the driver’s compartment with two back stays, a side
intrusion bar and taxi bar.
Bolted connections must use Grade 8 or equivalent fasteners as a
minimum.

Unmodified cars (ET 10.00 - 10.99):
with unmodified construction with fixed steel roof ,
slower than 10.00 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent) but faster
than 10.99 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent)

Modified cars (ET 11.00 - 11.99):
with modified
structural construction
(not including wheel
tubbing),
slower than 11.00 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent)
but faster than 11.99 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent)

Street Open cars (ET 11.00 - 12.99):
Street registered open cars
slower than 11.00 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent)
but faster than 12.99 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent)

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Here is a couple of Gregs Pontiac Im not sure why he hasnt posted pictures of it finished but it has been done for at least 6 months.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/sho...?t=6793&page=7

Im using the joints from GD race cars on mine as can be seen on the upper bends.
Here is the main hoop.

Here is the hoop bolted to the floor.

Here is one of the 5mm plates that is welded to the floor it need this hole in it for the 1 5/8 Moly pipe to protrude into it. That bolt in there is a body to chassis bolt.The four bolts bolt straight through the outriggers on the body that bolt to the chassis.

this is a blurry shot of the plates that are welded to the main hoop and they bolt to the plate in the shot above that is welded to the floor. Note that the pipe is protruding through the plate. It must protrude at least 3mm into the welded plate.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

And some more. dont forget this is a full bolt in 6 Point cage legal to run as quick as 8.0s.
A shot of the hoop fitted with one of the front legs.

and the other side.

Here is one of the joints. Not heap either. I sort of wish I went with the other option now of one piece of tube slipped into another and double bolted but I rushed out and got these when the passed the new rule exactly a year ago now.

Nice interior early 90`s door trims. It also has dark Maroon seats in it now as well. This is soon to be replaced by a brand new reproduction interior as soon as I get the two intrusions and the front top cross bar in.
Here is the Taxi bar. Its been sitting there for about a month because I need somemore argon and i cant be bothered going to get it. Its a great fit . Not even tacked and it stays there.

Also here is the rear stays. that go through the parcel tray. And also you can see the rear window cross bar.

And inside the boot, unfortunatly ANDRA took so long to bring in this rule I had painted the boot and had to scrape off the paint around the mounts to weld them to the floor.

and another shot of one of the joints. i will be doing the intrusion and front windscreen bars with male clevises instead of the GD racecar joints.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the detailed post Chris, this Will also answer questions people had about what remains in the car and mounting plates etc. All looking positive atm.
Will get design drawn up and submit to andra.. see what happens.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezerk68 View Post
Thanks for the detailed post Chris, this Will also answer questions people had about what remains in the car and mounting plates etc. All looking positive atm.
Will get design drawn up and submit to andra.. see what happens.
thanks Chris
what weight is the cage do you know ?

Tex
Old 22-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Think I read they allow 200lbs ballast removal to compinsate for cage. I guess they will all vary
Old 23-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex013 View Post
thanks Chris
what weight is the cage do you know ?

Tex
Not sure Tex but it wouldnt be much the thing that weighs the most is the Joints.
Thats why I would use the pipe bolted inside the other pipe still of joint next time I do one.
When I get it finished i will pull it out and weigh it. You have me curious now as well.
I reckon what you gain in weight you will more than likely gain from stiffening the car up.

Last edited by 1956SedanDelivery; 23-08-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 PM

I'm revisiting this again 15 months later.
Have gotten a quote from a local fabricator who is keen to do it. But won't be till the new year.
I'll keep updating as it unfolds.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Name: Kevin
I made mine weld in rear as you can rego in WA as a 2 seater with rear half cage and bolt in front.
I use mine on the street all the time and dont remove front half but if i got a sticker i can remove front half , rear seat and get it engineered
Old 07-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMBO View Post
I made mine weld in rear as you can rego in WA as a 2 seater with rear half cage and bolt in front.
I use mine on the street all the time and dont remove front half but if i got a sticker i can remove front half , rear seat and get it engineered
Nah, mines a coupe, and need the use of the rear seat. If I can't take kids for cruise it's pointless having it.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 PM

Name: Kevin
So is mine , mines a 73 RS split bumper my daughter just has to climb over the taxi bar ��