Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Name: Chris
Any chevy, is this the one that was with a black vinyl roof and is now on carsales for 67k after being on cars on line for like 30-35 haha I'm definitely not keen on any with a vinyl roof... If its a different one then I will pm you.
Russ I am guessing they loved yours and will buy it?
69 super bad... I have been looking at muscle cars for the past few years and my interest has gone from firebird late 70s to mustang mid 60s to firebird late 60s to camaro late 60s now to 71 challengers or 70 challenger if I don't go well with 71. By no means am I trying to be the most unique at car shows but I have stopped at what I believe is the nicest looking car. Plymouths just dont do it for me... And in regards to smaller budgets and potential work needed to be done, maybe increased popularity might be good for parts availability

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Parts are readily available for all the late 60's Mopar B-bodies. Whatever you need, you'll be able to find. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Challenger but the recent Chryslers on the Murray did it for me, I like the Aussie Chargers but when they had a couple hundred of them all lined up together they all started to look the same and I found myself just walking past, ignoring what were probably really good cars.
I can see Challengers ending up like this, there are just so many out here. I want people to see my car and stop dead in their tracks, even if they're not Mopar people.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Name: Russ
Elder ... PM sent mate.

Roadrunner, Superbee's, GTX's, Coronets are all cool - until you realise they're basically the same car with different badges and decals. Don't kid yourself, there were just as many of them at Chrysler's on the Murray than E-Bodies.

Anyone that thinks Challengers are common doesn't get out much. Go drive a Challenger around all day and park it on the busiest street you can find. Farthest thing from common. Any Mopar of that caliber is unique here in Oz. Nitpicking over which is more unique and gets more attention is pedantic, and deciding to buy one over another for that reason is just gay. Who the hell would want so spend that much money on something that they didn't have their heart set on just to be a little more unique? That's what yellow Lamborghini's are for.

What cars you see at car shows don't count - 90% of them regardless of make & model never see the light of day until it's time for a car show or photo-shoot - or the odd 2 hour "cruise" every 3 or 4 months.

... and car shows suck haha.

As much as I enjoyed COTM I realised they are not for me. I love cars, but that love comes from driving them - walking around all day looking at them did absolutely nothing for me, except make me realise I'd much rather be out driving to places both myself & my car have never been to before. Though a big part of that is my lack of social willingness. If you enjoy standing around jibbering sh!t to complete strangers for 8 hours, then they're awesome - otherwise, no thanks. I did manage to meet 2 extremely good blokes, and I only met them because they'd broken down on the trek down there and I pulled over to help. All in all, car shows are not something I'd consider doing regularly.

Wow ... what a rant!

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Name: Shane
So Russ, what's your opinion then.........LMAO!!!!

(Well said though BTW!)

Yeah, I have a thing for 57's!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Umm...by common I meant in relation to other US cars out here, much like Camaro's seem to be here. Of course they're not common on the streets of our cities....thought that would have been obvious to well, everyone.

Getting something relatively common has a lot of benefits, like sharing ideas and getting parts and help, so that's incentive enough for many people. If that appeals to you then get a Challenger. Maybe because people sh/t me to tears is the reason why I bought a Coronet...

As for COTM, there would have been over 30 Challengers there, there were 6 Coronets (including Bees) and probably as many Roadrunners and two or three GTX's. A lot of the fun of COTM is the journey to and from, the weekend just gives people the opportunity to get together and 'dribble ****', but yeah, the drive is where it's at, the rest is just a diversion.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
Any chevy, is this the one that was with a black vinyl roof and is now on carsales for 67k
No, it's a different car, it's almost identical, but with a 727 and not an RT
Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The modified rule is pre-89.

However it only really applies significantly modified vehicles. Custom body modifications, extreme HP engines etc.

So long as it appears stock (no roll cages or tubbed wheel wells etc) and everything is factory functioning (no stroker motors etc) then you should be right. Factory sized rims are always a smarter choice just in case.

Regarding rego for a 71 challenger, no engineer or anything like that is needed, unless you actually modify the belt anchor points or install points for a baby seat.

All you'll need to do is switch headlights & put in lap/sash seatbelts if it doesn't already have them belts. Standard Blue Slip. Very simple.

Do you have to add amber rear indicator lights? I know my brother was told this for a 70 model.
I think the lap sash seat belt ADR came in in 69, yellow indicators in 70 but I may be wrong...it's been known to happen.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Superbad View Post
Do you have to add amber rear indicator lights? I know my brother was told this for a 70 model.
I think the lap sash seat belt ADR came in in 69, yellow indicators in 70 but I may be wrong.
Depends which state, what inspector you get and what mood he's in Sometimes its just knowing the right people if you want your car left alone .
Old 09-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anychevy View Post
Depends which state, what inspector you get and what mood he's in Sometimes its just knowing the right people if you want your car left alone .
Yeah that's true, the inspector my brother got said "You must have amber tail lights....but I'm going to look over here while you drive away ok", or something like that.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's true, the inspector my brother got said "You must have amber tail lights....but I'm going to look over here while you drive away ok", or something like that.
Not quite, he said he wants me to add amber tail lights but he has no authority to force me, so I said.....Not happening, thanks for the offer.

In Vic, 69 and earlier are a breeze compared to 70 and beyond, a whole set of ADR regs kick in in '70.

Last edited by BuickGSX455; 09-05-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Umm...by common I meant in relation to other US cars out here, much like Camaro's seem to be here. Of course they're not common on the streets of our cities....thought that would have been obvious to well, everyone.

Getting something relatively common has a lot of benefits, like sharing ideas and getting parts and help, so that's incentive enough for many people. If that appeals to you then get a Challenger. Maybe because people sh/t me to tears is the reason why I bought a Coronet...

As for COTM, there would have been over 30 Challengers there, there were 6 Coronets (including Bees) and probably as many Roadrunners and two or three GTX's. A lot of the fun of COTM is the journey to and from, the weekend just gives people the opportunity to get together and 'dribble ****', but yeah, the drive is where it's at, the rest is just a diversion.

I realise you meant in relation to what's already here in Oz, yet I still don't consider them common - but I suppose it does depend on what circles you run in. If you only ever get your car out to car-shows - especially single marque shows like COTM - then it could seem that way, but everything is common at car shows. That's the point of them. The gathering of like minded souls.

And the number you see online that people have bought or wanted to buy? Who cares! The fact that most of them barely get driven and arn't going to be seen by anyone unless they're at a car show or on the internet - they don't count.

There's still very little chance of going on a weekend cruise and happening upon someone else in one. Heck, I drove the Chally about 800k's yesterday (Wyong to Port Macquarie to Kempsey, then back to Wyong) - and all I passed was a CxC sedan, a Valiant VC, a RHD Pontiac Parisienne and a Ford Pickup.

Even with the number of Camaro's on this site, I'd still never consider them common (except when taking the piss of fellow forum members)

Mustangs coupes? yes! I saw seven of them last week.

Quote:
I think the lap sash seat belt ADR came in in 69, yellow indicators in 70 but I may be wrong...it's been known to happen.
I didn't, and I'm sure that's correct for NSW. I think it's '71 or '72 onwards for rear amber, and '74 on for front amber (I have front clear on my 74 HQ ute and it's never been an issue)

However, if you can get amber indicators without completely f*cking up your car - I say do it.

The amount of times I've had people nearly slam into the arse of my Chally is phenomenal. Most people driving are just commuters and their minds are elsewhere. Despite bright-as-buggery LED taillights - red brake lights flashing don't register to others as indicators. It just doesn't compute in their brains.

If you can, get amber lights. Or if it's a clear lens, get an amber bulb.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Edit to my last: It appears the indicator ADR comes into effect on 1st Jan 1973. Anything before that Red or Clear is OK.

ADR #6: Directional Turn Signal Lamps (.pdf file)

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM

entertaining words haha
I've literally seen one Challenger on the road in my entire life ... and only three in the flesh... so they're definately not common. but yeah, I'm not buying to be unique or anything, I just like the cars !

PS - as per your recommendation, I went down to SMS Performance today and had a chat to Chris Sinclair / looked at his Challenger - nice car and even nicer guy ... no matter what direction I go in I'll definately be taking my car down to him.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
no matter what direction I go in I'll definately be taking my car down to him.
He's a good bloke, you got any mechanical issues or rego hassles, he's the man
Challengers are cool cars, you hardly ever see them (except at car shows) and they look great in any colour, except red
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anychevy View Post
He's a good bloke, you got any mechanical issues or rego hassles, he's the man
Challengers are cool cars, you hardly ever see them (except at car shows) and they look great in any colour, except red
you're forgetting pink haha
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Name: Paul
I think you'll find the reason there were so many Aussie Chargers at COTM is that this year is the 40th anniversary of Charger's release in Australia. Every major Mopar event will celebrate that fact in 2011.

I'd certainly entertain the idea of a Challenger or Cuda one day myself.
Although I already have the ultimate model Chrysler IMO (and definately ultimate B Body) I am open to all things that mother Mopar graced us with in the late 60s and early 70s. Even if some of them were panther pink.