Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 27-04-2011, 06:29 PM
elderlad elderlad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 235
Name: Chris
Hey Russ, HAHA sorry mate ... I think I accidently typed that after reading the name of somebody else that had a Challenger.

Yeah, condition is definately more important than colour and engine type.
So 340's being common place means that Challengers should be cheaper yeah ? I just missed out on a black fully restored 71 with 340 for 30k ... ah well

Did you import through a service Russ or do it all yourself? Mick is literally a 5 minute drive from my work ... seemed to be a fairly nice guy but wasn't keen to buy through him due to higher prices - might have a chat to him anyway

Cheers Boondie, yeah I definately don't want to be pressured and I will most definately have an extensive inspection done.

Russ, any tips on Challengers - what to look for and what questions to ask?
Also in regards to registration - at what point do I look at a car and say "there's no way that'll get import approval / rego"

Thanks heaps for your help guys - I've had these questions swimming around in my head for a while and really needed some people to talk to about my investment ! Cheers again
Reply With Quote


Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
  #17  
Old 27-04-2011, 10:16 PM
guffer's Avatar
guffer guffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At Home
Posts: 2,687
Name: shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
Hey Russ, HAHA sorry mate ... I think I accidently typed that after reading the name of somebody else that had a Challenger.

Yeah, condition is definately more important than colour and engine type.
So 340's being common place means that Challengers should be cheaper yeah ? I just missed out on a black fully restored 71 with 340 for 30k ... ah well

Did you import through a service Russ or do it all yourself? Mick is literally a 5 minute drive from my work ... seemed to be a fairly nice guy but wasn't keen to buy through him due to higher prices - might have a chat to him anyway

Cheers Boondie, yeah I definately don't want to be pressured and I will most definately have an extensive inspection done.

Russ, any tips on Challengers - what to look for and what questions to ask?
Also in regards to registration - at what point do I look at a car and say "there's no way that'll get import approval / rego"

Thanks heaps for your help guys - I've had these questions swimming around in my head for a while and really needed some people to talk to about my investment ! Cheers again
With regards to reg and import approval check this thread
Importing to Australia, Hypothetical re;modified car import
or try a search for other answers lots of info already on here
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28-04-2011, 12:57 PM
elderlad elderlad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 235
Name: Chris
Just had a bit of a read - so the modified car rule only applies to cars manufactured before 1969?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28-04-2011, 05:32 PM
guffer's Avatar
guffer guffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At Home
Posts: 2,687
Name: shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
Just had a bit of a read - so the modified car rule only applies to cars manufactured before 1969?
Dont think it only applies to pre `69, i think the more stock/original the car appears the better the chance of import approval regardless of its year, dont know about NSW but in Vic registration of cars varies depending on year of manufacture, Pre `69 just need RWC and import approval, 69-89 need RWC and Engineers cert that it meets ADR compliance and import approval, post 89 must be RHD, engineers cert, RWC and import approval
In short check with your state reg dept, and get advice from someone who is currently importing before you purchase anything not stock/original
Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Russ's Avatar
Russ Russ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Coast, NSW
Posts: 2,792
Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
Just had a bit of a read - so the modified car rule only applies to cars manufactured before 1969?
The modified rule is pre-89.

However it only really applies significantly modified vehicles. Custom body modifications, extreme HP engines etc.

So long as it appears stock (no roll cages or tubbed wheel wells etc) and everything is factory functioning (no stroker motors etc) then you should be right. Factory sized rims are always a smarter choice just in case.




Regarding rego for a 71 challenger, no engineer or anything like that is needed, unless you actually modify the belt anchor points or install points for a baby seat.

All you'll need to do is switch headlights & put in lap/sash seatbelts if it doesn't already have them belts. Standard Blue Slip. Very simple.
__________________
~ Russ

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
elderlad elderlad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 235
Name: Chris
http://www.cars-on-line.com/42066.html
Looking at this... How much is a trunk repair? I have fipound a couple of places that supply new trunks ... Would it cost heaps to weld that in?
Psyched that it is an r/t and manual, not so psyched about motor combo... Colour is better than some.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Russ's Avatar
Russ Russ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Coast, NSW
Posts: 2,792
Name: Russ
That's been for sale for quite some time. Was for sale when I was looking to buy mine over a year ago.

Don't worry about the 340. Might not have the torque of a 440, but they're zippy little things in the e-Body. It's why they where used & raced in the Trans Am series cars (T/A Challengers & AAR 'Cudas). I actually wish I had gotten an original 340 car over the 383.

Regarding the trunk pan - not sure about cost, but I do no those things never line up properly, so there is a lot of fine-tuning to get them right.
__________________
~ Russ

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM
doctor4766's Avatar
doctor4766 doctor4766 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 243
Name: Paul
Not too sure about Chally's elderlad but I know with Chargers there are 1 piece and 2 piece trunk floors available.
The 1 piece item can only be fitted if the rear valence or tail panel is off the car (like during a full resto) whereas the 2 piece will fit into the car if you're not doing other major work on the ar$e end.
You might want to check on some of the US Challenger/Cuda forums for more info on that.

edit:
Here's a link to the part from AMD
http://www.autometaldirect.com/ShowI...or%20Full.aspx
__________________
_________________________________
'69 Dodge Charger BB & '73 VJ Charger in the making

Last edited by doctor4766; 08-05-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
elderlad elderlad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 235
Name: Chris
How did you go with the qld guy today Russ ?
Let me know if it doesn't go through and I'll come check it out. All this waiting is getting me impatient haha
Not a fan of your 383?

http://www.restorationperformance.co...129/Categories

I also found that place ^^ they seem to be pretty cheap!
Good to know about the 2 piece as opposed to complete. I would have just gone and bought the complete but if its just a trunk floor replacement then it'd change everything.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM
anychevy's Avatar
anychevy anychevy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,053
Name: Dave
G'day elderlad
I know of a "burnt orange" 1970 383 727 car that's had a full rotisserie resto and may be for sale in your price range (or a just a tad more)
but you would have to like that colour ? Don't buy a car from Geezers. period !
PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM
guffer's Avatar
guffer guffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At Home
Posts: 2,687
Name: shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by anychevy View Post
G'day elderlad
I know of a "burnt orange" 1970 383 727 car that's had a full rotisserie resto and may be for sale in your price range (or a just a tad more)
but you would have to like that colour ? Don't buy a car from Geezers. period !
PM me if interested.
C`mon Dave whats the go with Geezers, is it some personal experience or what ?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
anychevy's Avatar
anychevy anychevy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,053
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffer View Post
C`mon Dave whats the go with Geezers, is it some personal experience or what ?
Heard a few horror stories and seen some of their cars, but that was a few years ago, hopefully things have improved
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Russ's Avatar
Russ Russ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Coast, NSW
Posts: 2,792
Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by anychevy View Post
Heard a few horror stories and seen some of their cars, but that was a few years ago, hopefully things have improved
Nope, still the same.

Had a couple come down from QLD and look at my Chally yesterday. They said they looked at one Geezers had (not the one that is there now) and it was horrid. A real lack of care was taken with certain things; glue & sealants dripped over it etc. + it was $20k over-priced.
__________________
~ Russ

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM
anychevy's Avatar
anychevy anychevy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,053
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
A real lack of care was taken with certain things; glue & sealants dripped over it etc. + it was $20k over-priced.
Sounds like one of their good cars They tart up some real turds
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
69Superbad 69Superbad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Left this bigoted ****hole
Posts: 170
Challenger eh'?.......should look good....parked beside the other hundred at every car show it will really stand out.....(that's sarcasm btw)

Have you considered something a little more unique?

What about a Plymouth Roadrunner or GTX or Superbee?

Every man and his dog seems to have a Challenger nowadays and frankly, they are getting a little too common and I had my heart set on a 70 model Challenger as a young bloke....... then I saw a Superbee!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger