Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Name: Chris
I'm not bashing Aussie cars, BUT...

Yesterday, I was wondering through Facebook (can't remember which group it popped up on), when I came across a for sale ad regarding a LX Torana.

The car was advertised as a matching numbers LX SLR 4200. It wasn't restored and was advertised as mostly rust free. The photos weren't that good and the car looked a bit daggy. The car is a 4 door and I'd assume from the Supercheap/Autobarn seat covers, that the interior is not so good. Also, the dash board had a big hole where an aftermarket car stereo had once been. I suppose the car would make a good starting point, if you wanted to restore something and you like 4 door Toranas.

There was just one thing. The (firm) asking price was... $55,000. Not only that, but all the Torana heads were telling the seller that the price was fair and the value will only go up, blah blah blah.

What has the world come to???

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 16-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Name: Jim
I couldn't agree more, 5hits outa control
Old 16-10-2018, 04:48 PM

After reading the ad, I was prompted to give an old mate a call who also owns a LX 4 door.

He bought the car about 15 years ago for $800. It was just to use as a hack to get to work. It was a poverty pack with a 253 and auto trans. After a couple of years, he transplanted a used 308 and manual trans.

Fast forward to now and the car has been sitting in the back of his shed for years. It doesn't run, it needs floors, sills, lower qtrs, paint and interior. In other words, EVERYTHING.

Despite owning a '66 Olds 442 convertible, a '66 Dodge Charger and a '66 Impala convertible, everyone that looks in his garage asks, "what do you want for the Torana?" He told me that 2 weeks ago, he knocked back a cash offer of $12,000.
Old 16-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Name: Darren
The only thing cars with 4 doors are good for is parts.
Old 16-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Name: Geoff
Bonne,
It is all in the eye...of the beholder. You have probably seen the Shannon's ad that claims the 1971 Ford GT Ph 3 Falcon was the fastest 4 door car in the world. Absolute rubbish. Numerous American cars, 440 Chryslers, 454 Chevs, etc could be bought in as a 4 door in the US by simply ticking the option box. No doubt there some around at the time. And they would have blown the GT off in a heat beat.

Motoring journalists here at the time were dribbling at the mouth [ & still do.. ] about the GT. Seems like they needed a 'hero car' at the time & the GT came at the right time. In reality, they were a pig to drive on the street, & failed to win any races until the oiling system was heavily modified. The 351C was a poorly designed engine, intake ports were too big for the street & they blew up if raced. I saw many a Cleveland go home on a tow truck at the drags, after dropping an intake valve....I also beat plenty of them in my lumbering old Dodge.

Still, despite the truth about their failings, the legend has built up over the years to make them into supercar status.

The Toranas were better from the ground up & the SLRs were built to slay the Falcons, so I think these were perceived as the great saviour for GM....& they probably were at that time. So they are most revered.

Any of these cars in pristine condition are getting good money these days, & I suspect there are not many good, original ones left. Not many to choose from! Hence the prices!
Old 16-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Name: Rowan
I went to auction a few weeks ago and restored 253 4 speed lx 4 door, yellow (not slr) with flare kit in pristine condition only 100,000 kms sold for 57,000 + fees took it to $63,000 drive away. Aussie stuff is through the roof, just look how much a hk premier costs today **** or restored!
Old 17-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 4 View Post
Bonne,
It is all in the eye...of the beholder. You have probably seen the Shannon's ad that claims the 1971 Ford GT Ph 3 Falcon was the fastest 4 door car in the world. Absolute rubbish. Numerous American cars, 440 Chryslers, 454 Chevs, etc could be bought in as a 4 door in the US by simply ticking the option box. No doubt there some around at the time. And they would have blown the GT off in a heat beat.

Motoring journalists here at the time were dribbling at the mouth [ & still do.. ] about the GT. Seems like they needed a 'hero car' at the time & the GT came at the right time. In reality, they were a pig to drive on the street, & failed to win any races until the oiling system was heavily modified. The 351C was a poorly designed engine, intake ports were too big for the street & they blew up if raced. I saw many a Cleveland go home on a tow truck at the drags, after dropping an intake valve....I also beat plenty of them in my lumbering old Dodge.

Still, despite the truth about their failings, the legend has built up over the years to make them into supercar status.

The Toranas were better from the ground up & the SLRs were built to slay the Falcons, so I think these were perceived as the great saviour for GM....& they probably were at that time. So they are most revered.

Any of these cars in pristine condition are getting good money these days, & I suspect there are not many good, original ones left. Not many to choose from! Hence the prices!
Geoff, I've never believed the hype about the HO being the fastest 4 door in the world, especially when you consider that in 1971, all the American Chrysler engines were still high compression. Further, at the end of the day, the GTHO is just a tarted up Falcon - just my view...

The biased view on Aussie cars isn't a recent thing either. In the late '80s I was living in Goulburn and my daily driver was a '68 Firebird. I'd blown up the original Pontiac 350 and replaced it with a rebuilt 455. It came from the factory with a manual transmission. A local bloke there was positively offended when I knocked back his offer of a straight swap of his XW Fairmont. His car was 'tidy', with a 302W, manual steering and column auto. He lectured me on how his car was worth $10K and he was doing me a favour.
Old 17-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Name: Ben
Aussie cars only have value to Aussies-Not a world wide market, although a few yanks like the Mad Max falcon coupes.

At least with a US classic that is desirable and not RHD you can always export it back to the USA.

I think the bubble will burst over next 20 or so plus years, when the "Baby Boomers" move on in life. Most of the high prices are from Baby boomers that are cashed up-inherited property what ever.

Aussie cars and I predict old cars in general in Australia will have no value like they once did. The new generation of"Australians" brought in by immigration have no interest in old cars, and the young kids these days have no idea how to maintain older cars.
Old 17-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Aussie cars only have value to Aussies-Not a world wide market, although a few yanks like the Mad Max falcon coupes.

At least with a US classic that is desirable and not RHD you can always export it back to the USA.

I think the bubble will burst over next 20 or so plus years, when the "Baby Boomers" move on in life. Most of the high prices are from Baby boomers that are cashed up-inherited property what ever.

Aussie cars and I predict old cars in general in Australia will have no value like they once did. The new generation of"Australians" brought in by immigration have no interest in old cars, and the young kids these days have no idea how to maintain older cars.
I agree, I think this ridiculous pricing is a generational thing and once the blokes who lusted after the XY GT's, HK/T/G Monaro's etc. have past a certain age the demand will drop and so will the prices. Just my theory.

If my Camaro cost as much as HK GTS Monaro I simply wouldn't have one.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 17-10-2018, 08:01 PM

I sold that full fruit 69 Camaro of mine for$62k odd. It had the best of everything. This HQ SS I’m rebuilding will be worth $75k odd if I wanted to sell it when I’m done.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:07 PM

Name: darren
The crazy prices for domestic falcons is what lead me to purchase a US one much cheaper and a two door that wasnt released here was an added bonus.
Old 18-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Name: Rowan
The loacally made cars is not just limited to chrome bumper stuff as the cars get older even a VNSS commodore is starting to push up in price. It's crazy but it's happening.
Old 18-10-2018, 04:34 PM

Name: darren
Maybe my EA might be worth something oneday lol.
Old 19-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
The only thing cars with 4 doors are good for is parts.
Or a cheap driver...
Old 20-10-2018, 10:22 AM

I saw a 4 door LH or LX torana, 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the column with 200+km for $28k yesterday. Has rego and looks really nice, but for the same price I had a fully engineered 75 Trans Am with a 6.6L on full rego with 65k miles. I know they're objectively rare, but the rose coloured glasses people have for them is insane.