Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed View Post
**** lifetime warranty? how to thy compare to well known snap on?
Snap-On today are Chinese, so I'd refuse to buy, and Chinese tools are against my religion. They have almost always let me down at a critical moment and inconvenienced me greatly or just simply not lasted.
Snap-On stuff is good I'm sure, but I always thought overpriced. I've drooled over Stahlwille plenty of times and you can see the build quality is just awesome.
I was trying to remove the hub of my Fluidampr ages ago and I broke 2 Australian Sidchrome 45 Torx drives and then swapped for a Stahlwille. At least in that very small test, The Stahlwille was a superior product.
I love Australian made Sidchrome, (what 90% of my set is) but that's a thing of the past.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Update (without pics so far) is that the car will not be ready (home) by Easter, which is a little disappointing, because I have time off over Easter and wanted to binge on fitting it out. I deliberately never got my hopes up as after all, panel shops are known world-wide as Paint Jails for good reason.

Currently being primed and blocked. Some panels will recieve two coats, some three in order to get it completely flat and up to Mick's standard. Approximately 60 hours worth of blocking I am told. Is that a lot? Sounds like it might be.
PPG's GMH Chassis Matte Black will then be applied to the rear of all bolt-on sheet metal (excluding the trunk lid), followed by body color and clear on the top-side as well as the underside of the trunk lid. The rear sides of the front sheet metal with the PPG Matte Black don't get masked as overspray is completely normal and expected.

Sheetmetal then gets bolted on after final paint as per factory.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 15-04-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 15-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
The rear sides of the front sheet metal with the PPG Matte Black don't get masked as overspray is completely normal and expected.
Sheetmetal then gets bolted on after final paint as per factory.
Yeah, paint jail it's a worldwide problem.
So, have you got all the correct colours and locations sussed out for the factory paint dabs, suspension decals, tailshaft stripes and chalk marks, or maybe not going that far ? Or is that a silly question ?
Old 15-04-2011, 06:26 PM

I have spring decals and emissions decals and that sort of thing..
Not bothering with the paint dabs (unless I can find details from a reliable source) and most/all the crayon marks you see is undocumented crappola. Many "restorers" have simply made it up or have looked at other inaccurate "restorations" and copied them.
Many survivor cars have not been found to have any of that grafitti.

The only crayon markings I have are on the firewall, under the paint. The wax crayon would cause a blemish in the paint and that was it. It was not intended to be read after the vehicle was painted.

At Flemington, I had to chuckle when I saw a blue GM with "blue" written on the firewall in white crayon on top of the blue paint..
..as if the production line worker didn't know it was a blue car after it was painted!!

This is how it was done.. In my case, the details are real, but it's pure wank-value.

..and how it looked.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
At Flemington, I had to chuckle when I saw a blue GM with "blue" written on the firewall in white crayon on top of the blue paint..
..as if the production line worker didn't know it was a blue car after it was painted!!
I know most of the "restoration" books get it wrong when it comes to that stuff, but I would have thought there was a reliable source somewhere
Blue over the blue yeah right
Old 15-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Name: Mitch
Steve where is this painter at?

The amount of work your putting in and time its taking and being a detailer not thinking im totally the best but knowing even "great" painters often miss and do substandard painting due to sanding marks ect would it be possible for me to come down for "a look" ?

Would be interested for a look and to ensure my eye doesnt pick up any blemishes before final paint.

Just an offer out there because most people dont know but youll pick up sanding marks in ferraris lambos astons and most cars these days id hate to see that on yours!
Old 16-04-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks Mitch, but I don't expect any problems there. I have seen his work on several club cars, including his & his wife's Cudas and the quality really is up there.
You're welcome for a look, but the car is near 200k away!
Old 16-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Name: Lyndsay
200k?? low mileage mate.
Old 16-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Name: Jim
I'm pretty sure Mick doesn't need anyone to tell him how to do his job
Old 28-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Today's update is that the panels are back on the car for blocking and more fine tuning of the gaps before another coat of primer where it will be blocked again for the final time. Then color is applied and yes, the panels will be removed again for painting. This is a hopeful for next week.

Here are a few progress pics that Mick emailed me today.

GM cowl panel where the wipers had been converted to RHD some time ago. The quailty of the work was average (not me! ) and the panel still needs some attention in a few areas.

Repro front lower valance panel filed and sanded.. Some of these brand new panels have highs and lows that need levelling out even before primer.

The skin of the repro trunk lid was a good example. Several pin-point highs from what? Debris on the stamping dies??

Fender extensions (repro).

tick toc tick toc
Getting close!
Old 28-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Name: Jim
Maybe not the school thing but you get the picture Cars looking good brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWG3mlxsuUk
Old 28-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Name: Roger
ooowww, not long now

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 28-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Name: Jay
Rear tyres still have rubber, a good sign.
I can just hear you coming down the road now, to pick me up and go for a fang.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Name: Disco
and i will be in back seat holding down those tyres from smoking up, can't wait mate
Old 28-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Name: Rowan
Looking good Steve! The paint jail your car is in is pretty good, progress has been continuing well.
Closed Thread