Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Ok....so the next update.

Finally got to meet Paul Bottomley @ APS engineering.

Lovely guy, communicates well, seemed to understand what I am trying to do (which is make my car safer). Added to that - he really (like really) knows his stuff. Clean shop as well. First meeting cost $140 bucks, but yeah - he seemed a pretty reasonable sort of guy.

He said he would reach out to Ridetech as well, try to get something happening there - so let's see what happens.

I am getting the 4link fitted soon, so will update more once things progress.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Ridetech have responded again. Britt (director of ridetech engineering) has reviewed the australian regulation documents that my aussie engineer (Paul) put them onto.
Sounds like they will be doing everything they can to get us the information we need. What they test and what we test may have some differences, but I am confident that both sides are going to - at worst - meet somewhere in the middle. Hoping this work will translate into an easier path for those following me though. Seems most of the testing and concern relates to the front end components, specifically spindles and lower control arm. Ideally all items should be tested for VASS approval though. Let you know how it all goes.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Just an update - this is still ongoing.

Ridetech in the USA seem to be really willing to help - which is good.

The engineer on my side has also been good, but he seems a little...busy. So things are dragging on a bit.

Can't blame the engineer for having a bit on, probably a fair indication he is in demand and good at what he does. He also seems very competent and knowledgeable and does appear to be real deal, BUT so far it's been up to me to nudge things along. A little frustrating.

Early days yet I suppose, but I am a little concerned about losing momentum and Ridetech's interest.

Hopefully I will have more to add next week..... : (
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Name: Chris
fingers and toes crossed !!
Old 14-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Hi guys,

Well things have moved on a little although that said - may have had a bit of a setback...I think.....

Ridetech have been communicating with us - which is great. They have been reviewing all the VIC guidelines specific to getting their parts onto victorian cars (or the Gen1 camaro in my case).

The key thing for any structural item going onto your car that is not "standard" is that it has been "tested".

What does that mean?

OK - so there is physical testing of product/parts and also CAD testing of products through software (what they call CAD FEA). Both are acceptable.

The purpose of these test is to confirm that the parts conform with specific load cases as set out in these guidelines that the VASS engineers have to work with.

If your part has been tested and passed these load cases - through either physical testing or CAD FEA - then you are fine.

If not - then it gets interesting.

Cheapest way to get items approved is obviously the CAD FEA software route. This is definitely the way you want to go.

This requires the proper CAD diagrams though, or access to the CAD files so they can be finalised for the FEA testing. IF the CAD diagrams are not great - then you are looking at 3d scanning of the parts on top of everything else.

$$$$$

Ridetech have sent us CAD diagrams, which I cannot open as I do not have the software, but they admitted they would not be suitable for CAD FEA testing - they need work.

So yeah - I am now not as optimistic.

I know that 1000's of camaro's in the usa have been giving these parts a caning for years - under what I would consider extreme load cases in autocross and other race applications. I have researched this heavily and am yet to find a forum post indicating failure under load. Certainly nothing the would indicate a pattern.

Not saying that is a guarantee, but if there is bugger-all mention of issues on the forums and web in general, no noise or complaints more generally - then you would think product is sound.

I will keep pushing on though - see where this goes.

Not sure I want to spend the money on 3d modelling though - hopefully does not come to that.

Shan
Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Not much more to add at this stage. Waiting on quotes for FEA testing (Finite Element Analysis) of the parts.

So - a good rundown of what you need to know is here: http://www.bremarauto.com/vsb14-suspension-simulation/

The guidelines these engineers in VIC use are all found in VSB14. From people I have spoken to - engineers all apply their own interpretation to the guidelines. Few will treat the same upgrades the same way. It is all a bit silly.

If anyone else needs them - the CAD files I was provided by ridetech can be found here for Tru Turn and Upper and lower control arms:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Pka2a4Tf_TGoFn
Also includes metals materials specs and weld certs of their workers.

CAD diagrams do not have welds though and there are gaps in some of the parts, so I believe they may not hold up to FEA testing. Although one guy I spoke to said they should be ok, they can bond the parts in CAD software and perform the load case tests anyway. Same guy said weld calculations are performed at a local level....getting that confirmed though.

I'll continue to push forward though.....see where this goes.

Certainly more of a headache than I anticipated.