Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Name: Sean
BBC Spark plug wires

I'm having some problems running spark plug wires on my Big Block Chev. I've got big headers(hooker 2285?) on the car, 2 1/8" primaries and there is not much clearance around the plugs at all.

When I bought the car, it had MSD multi angle boots on it. 1 or 2 of these boots were arcing into the headers because they were too close.

I replaced them with some Moroso 'under the header' leads, but these weren't a good fit and 2 of these leads burnt out on the headers. There wasn't enough room or points to secure the leads under the headers. A couple of the separators melted and then the wires flopped about and touched the headers.

Replaced the leads again on the weekend with an MSD set that I cut to Length. I used 90 degree boots and ran them over the valve covers. The 90 degree boots touch the flange of the headers between the primaries, so I'm not too sure how long these ones will last!

So the multi-angle boots are too big and the 90 degrees bend too much and tough the header flange. Might have to go 45 degree boots next time?

How is everyone else out there with BBCs and big headers dealing with this?

Cheers
Sean

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Name: Steve
You might be able to try short spark plugs that are a little shorter than the normal length by about ~3/8-1/2" Maybe that might help.
Otherwise, you may be stuck with the situation you're in.
Many aftermarket cylinder heads have "revised" combustion chambers and they tend to alter spark plug angles.
Many aftermarket header manufacturers also make headers that aren't such a great fit on OE heads and are definitley a problem on aftermarket heads too -especially with huge primaries like you have.

I have found the MSD multi angle plugs to be good. Maybe you can extend their life with boot socks from companies like Taylor and MSD make them too I think..
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Name: Marty
I have the MSD boots on both my BB's Sean, No.5 & 7 on the other side have 90deg boots though due to the limited space
Name:  4.1 022.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  195.4 KB

Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Name: Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Name: Sean
cheers guys

I think I'll get some bulk wire and a mix of plug terminals and mix and match to make the next set.

What terminals are you running on your plug ends rodent?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFF68 View Post
I have the MSD boots on both my BB's Sean, No.5 & 7 on the other side have 90deg boots though due to the limited space
I ran the same as Marty except my 90 deg ones were on 3 and 4 I think it was( custom headers) Initially I had an MSD plug end catch fire due to the proximity of a primary, but after fitting the 90 deg boots to those two and heat boots problem was fixed.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanj View Post
cheers guys

I think I'll get some bulk wire and a mix of plug terminals and mix and match to make the next set.

What terminals are you running on your plug ends rodent?
Msd terminal, Silicone boot 60 degrees.