Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Recreation
User Name
Password

Old 28-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Name: Steve
Smile Laser Eye Surgery

Had Lasik eye surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.. ("Lasik" -not a typo, is where the cut a thin flap of your cornea, reshape your cornea with a laser, and then replace the flap where is heals very quickly.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK

Overall I'm very happy with not wearing damn glasses anymore but I'm still near sighted with blurry distance vision due to my brain still not used to my new eyes..
Has anyone else here had this done and how long was your recovery?
Doc says 2-4 weeks, so I know I'm still recovering..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Lasik_UOC.ogg

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Name: Jason
My wife has had it done. She worked in a laser eye surgery and they did it for free. I'l ask her for you tomorrow how long it took for her and what the average is.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Name: Peter
I had cataracts in both eyes. These were removed last November - January and my natural lenses sucked out via a 2 mm needle and new plastic lenses inserted. One new lens is long sighted and the other short sighted and the brain is supposed to bring the vision together. It's now end of August and the two eye visions have remained separate. I have thrown away my reading specs but can only read with my short sight right eye. I have an appointment September to see what can be done. Many years ago, one of Australia's leading therapeutic hypnotists tried the hypnotise me but couldn't succeed. I wondering if my brain's resistance to hypnotism is doing the same with my new lenses.
Old 29-08-2014, 12:01 AM

Name: Alan
Im keen to see how you go with this Steve,...
I was going to have it a few years ago, got told I was about to turn 40 so my eyes would change, I was short sighted n glasses annoyed the crap out of me.
Several years later I was told that because I was shortsighted the Lasik Surgery would fix that but id probably still need reading glasses ...so I passed.
Keen to see how you go.

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 29-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Name: Allan
I've worn glasses since I was 2 and started wearing contacts about 15 years ago. I don't mine wearing both. I personally have not spoken to anyone who has had what you have had done steve , but when you get lenses put in you can only see according to the lens strength so you still need glasses to either read or see long distances. I don't see how your brain has anything to do with it as it's in the cornea' s ability to focus. I'm no doc so my input is 0.......After 40 the muscles get tired and car't shape the cornea to see up close or long distances , hence we need glasses to read, your case is different steve , you have your original lens's so will be interested to see how you go
Old 29-08-2014, 07:53 AM

Name: Marty
I had mine done 6 years ago and true to word they need doing again as peoples eyes normally wear about every 5 years up until a certain age. The funny thing is that I was short sighted before the surgery lasik surgery and was perfect 20/20 for 5 years and now I'm long sighted. Would I do it again, maybe, but the fact I only need to put glasses on if I'm reading something real close doesn't bother me as apposed to when I needed glasses to drive and water ski, play squash etc. was a real pain in the but especially in summer.
Glad it went well for you, just be prepared that it wont last forever.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Name: Adam
I'm short sighted and have been wearing contacts for about 15 years since I was 12, wear glasses occasionally but can never really get used to them, they just distort things too much for me.
My prescription is -3.25 and has been for about 10 years, my optometrist had told me I'm a perfect candidate to get lasik done, just never got around to it and had the funds available, I'm told it's about 4 or 5 grand.
Old 29-08-2014, 08:17 PM

It is a great thing to have done
as stated your -3.25 is a great candidate for laser surgery,there is however another method of fixing short sighted people up if suitable and that is orthokeratology where you wear a "retainer" hard lens overnight and it negates the wearing of contacts/specs during the day and is reversible
I had laser prk as i have had a cataract removed from one eye ..same eye had a detached retina so my prescription in both eyes was drastically different. I can go without specs now but choose to wear them because i can no longer read without reading glasses
Old 29-08-2014, 08:37 PM

The prices vary depending on your particular case, but typical prices are $4500-$6500 for both eyes. I was quoted over $6K which surprised me because my eyes weren't so bad.. My prescription, both eyes almost the same, was +3.50/3.75. I was long sighted.
I shopped around and told who I chose of a previous quote, and they matched it. I paid a little over $5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
...Several years later I was told that because I was shortsighted the Lasik Surgery would fix that but id probably still need reading glasses ...so I passed.
The probability of reading glasses after eye surgery is likely, although it may take a year or several more until you require them.
Laser surgery does not cure natural eye degradation from getting old.
I wore glasses full-time. I may need a pair of specs just for reading some time in the future and I'd be OK with that.

Also, you need to make sure your eyes have stabilized. If your prescription has changed in the last 12 or so months, eye surgery might be a waste of time at the moment. My prescription hadn't changed in almost 3 years or more, -at least from that last test.

With the work I do, if I bought a nice pair, I'd ruin them in no time..
So, I was always wearing sh!t $20 chemist cheapies that are optically just crap.
So those sh!tty pieces of crap was as good as my eye-sight ever got.
Perhaps if I worked in an office or other clean environment, I would have been happy with a good quality pair and no surgery.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 29-08-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Old 30-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Name: Matt
My son had it done years ago. He was short sighted and wore strong glasses. After the surgery he hasn't looked back (no pun intended) and doesn't need glasses. From memory i think it took a very short time after the surgery to adjust.
I believe it doesn't last forever though??
Old 30-08-2014, 11:26 AM

i tried the hard overnight contacts for a while when i was in the forces, brilliant idea and i loved it. But it had a 12 hour ( ish ) window before your eyes stated to return to their natural shape. Downfall was if you didn't or couldn't get home in time, you were ****ed. the degradation of sight was slow and as such, even if you had your normal glasses or contacts, they then didn't work either.