Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Recreation
User Name
Password

Old 29-06-2014, 07:56 PM

Name: Steve
Question Web Design, Hosting Costs, Pros/Cons..?

Has anyone here had a website created (and who by if they are happy with them), a clue as to hosting and running costs, and anything to consider and look out for?

It's early days yet, but I am thinking if I need to do get something up, I am a completely inexperienced novice regarding it..

I'd need someone to design me a website and a company to host it.

Ideas/advice?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Name: Chris
Steve hosting is cheap. Use hostgator or dreamhost in the US. I use dreamhost. I have 3 sites and it costs me $9 a month. You can also register your domain with them. One stop shop

As for a site you can build a pretty decent site yourself using various tools. Wordpress ain't bad but requires a bit of CSS and HTML knowledge. Wix is the upcomer. All drag and drop

You can get a reasonably basic site built for arond $500. But they'll charge more once you start adding functionality

Here's on I am in the middle of building. It has about 2 days work in it so far and it's about a third done. Using a test domain till I live. It's built using Wordpress but I think I like wix better

Www.theluxfords.info

This one I built for my wife's business it took me about half a day. Used rapid weaver to build this one

Www.chichild.com.au

It all depends what your website is about

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Ps. I have zero coding experience
Old 29-06-2014, 08:20 PM

The website would be commercial and about a product with explanations.. photos.. You know.. that sort of thing.. Maybe just 1 or 2 pages.
Visitors would need to be able to add item/s to a shopping cart and make a purchase. I assume that would mean customer accounts and log-ins or perhaps not.
Similar I guess to clicking on a "Buy It Now" eBay item.
It's also important that the website appears in a Google search using key words.

I have f/all html knowledge and think I'd be best paying someone to do the job for me.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Ps. I have zero coding experience
Well, you may have no coding experience, but I don't even know what the Hell coding is!
Old 29-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Take a look at wix.com. You can build what you want for free. I've seen your attention to detail. You could knock one out in a few days with wix.
Old 29-06-2014, 08:25 PM

So who do you buy a domian name from? It just seems like there are a heap of shady websites offering them.
A bit like those American VIN search pop-ups where you know damn well, they won't find sh!t for your money..
I'd need two to both direct to the one website, a .com and a .com.au .
Old 29-06-2014, 08:29 PM

It's easiest through your hoster such as dreamhost. But if you must I buy mine from crazydomains.com.au. But once registered you need to point the name servers to your host. Not hard but maybe daunting if you haven't done it before. Dreamhost doesn't sell .com.au domains. Hence I use crazy domains

If you buy both you can point both to the one website. That's an easy setup setting
Old 29-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Name: Greg
Steve, I used havealook.com.au for our business.
I knew (and still don't know) much about setting them up, but I knew what content I wanted shown and the layout. We don't have on line shopping, and it's more of an informative site with pics and info of our work (building company).

I started with some butchers paper and sketched out how I wanted each page to look (we have 6 pages in total). Then I wrote my text and chose my pics.
Once I was happy I got the people from havealook.com.au to come in and help set it up. We had already set up the domain, and they took care of the hosting. I'm not sure how much, but it's quite reasonable. I can let you know if you like (let me know)

Without knowing exactly what sort of interaction you require, i.e. Shopping carts, questions & answer sections, payment ability, etc, I can't tell you if their "cheap" web sites have the ability to do this.

I found them easy to work with and responsive to the changes I wanted to make.
Having said that, our site hasn't been updated in a while, but you can easily get access and add, change, delete text and images.

Good luck with your venture.
Cheers Greg
Old 30-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Name: Frank
hi Steve.

I setup a website for a coffee company. Was pretty basic - so just info - no ability to purchase anything though.

Hosting was done thru WebEasy hosting. Was pretty cheap. I can highly recommend them.

Problem with shopping cart is all the fees charged by the banks etc. You might want to compare with what it would cost setting up an eBay store.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 30-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks Frank.. Yeah, I guess I'll have to find out what the fees will be, but if I also use PayPal (which I think I will have to), I know there are fees PayPal charge when not associated with eBay sales anyway. The others would be merchant fees for accepting credit cards.
I'm assuming I might do an eBay store as well, but certainly don't want to limit myself to being found on eBay, that's for sure.
To become a "power seller" so you can list multiple items on the one ad is a $50 a month fee or $600 per annum! (Like when you see an item where you choose a quantity next to the B.I.N.. Often says "More Than 10 Available")
This fee is aside from FeeBay's listing fees, sale fees and all other fees that they tack on..
In the past, I've competitively priced items to sell on eBay, and at the end of the day, they make all the damn profit! I'd like to go into business for me -not them.
Old 30-06-2014, 01:50 PM

You will pay merchant fees min in your own shopping cart on your own store. These are typically in or around the 3-4% of the value of the item. Have seen lower but only when volumes are significant. Setting up a shopping cart is actually not to difficult
Old 30-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Name: Matte
If you're interested in a top notch website with full sales ability and encryption security, along with any graphic design you may need, I can put you intouch with a mate who works in the webdesign field and has been responsible for many HIGH quality sites over the years.

He can setup all your domain needs aswell as google(and other) search listings
Old 30-06-2014, 11:21 PM

Name: Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
To become a "power seller" so you can list multiple items on the one ad is a $50 a month fee or $600 per annum! (Like when you see an item where you choose a quantity next to the B.I.N.. Often says "More Than 10 Available")
This fee is aside from FeeBay's listing fees, sale fees and all other fees that they tack on..
In the past, I've competitively priced items to sell on eBay, and at the end of the day, they make all the damn profit! I'd like to go into business for me -not them.
I dont think you need to be a power seller to sell more than one of an item. I am currently selling a chair of which I have 8 under the one item with 8 available.

Or is that if you have more than 10 ?

I hear what you are saying about going into business for yourself, not them, but the reality is that everyone ie. the banks etc. wil get a piece of the action and sometimes I think its easier just to go on ebay. No matter what I am buying online I just about 100% of the time I look on ebay first.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 30-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Name: Darren
I'm with webcity, probably nothing fancy but aussie based and they do domain registration and hosting. Around $180 per year for hosting, but can have several domains on the same account and looks after email too. Domain registration is $22 for 2 years I think for .com.au. I have a business website and a couple of car related ones hosted under the one account.

I do my websites the old fashioned way with windows notepad, keeps it pretty simple, but things like a shopping cart and online sales are a bit beyond my capabilities.

www.australianjavelins.com
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
I'm with webcity, probably nothing fancy but aussie based and they do domain registration and hosting. Around $180 per year for hosting, but can have several domains on the same account and looks after email too. Domain registration is $22 for 2 years I think for .com.au. I have a business website and a couple of car related ones hosted under the one account.

I do my websites the old fashioned way with windows notepad, keeps it pretty simple, but things like a shopping cart and online sales are a bit beyond my capabilities.

www.australianjavelins.com
Cheap, do you have much traffic?

It costs me that a month for you know where.

Australia's Mopar Community Online.

www.hemi6pack.com
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM

Name: Darren
Typically somewhere between 500 meg and 1 gig per month, probably small in comparision to your setup I reckon, but the package allows unlimited traffic.

I'm on CloudPro, plus some other extras by the looks of it:

http://hosting.webcity.com.au/