Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Recreation
User Name
Password

Old 31-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Name: Steve
Everybody Loves Beer

Well, most everybody does. And, if we don't donate enough to the Government with taxes related to our cars, we certainly do with beer. Over 50% of a carton of beer is tax. If we take what we earn and pay around 15% income tax, then from every $50.00 we earn gross and then buy a carton of beer, the Government gets $35.00 approx.

Learning to brew beer as good as you can buy is not hard but don't expect to do it with any form of kit beer. A 25kg bag of malted barley grain costs around $65.00 average. Add hops and yeast plus electricity and you are looking at around $90.00. 25Kg of malt makes around 120 litres of beer or around 13 cartons, about $7.00 a carton for beer better than you can buy.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Name: Stephen
Indeed we pay a lot of tax; when I was in Japan I saw bottles of Jack Daniels for $17.

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA
Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 PM

Name: Jim
How much of that $35 goes back into the health care system

You seem to have the facts sorted, could you please enlighten me as I'm not that bright Not a shot, just curious.

No doubt drinking Home Brew will leave you with the same medical problems that "store bought" beers will........So how much of the Home Brew crafted beer's tax ends up in the health system

Fact: Everyone.....yes everyone I've ever known that brews their own, drinks probably double what the guys who buy their gas from the store drink.

So are us guys buying "store bought" a financial crutch for the home brew guys who drink more and don't pay the taxes that we do
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Fact: Everyone.....yes everyone I've ever known that brews their own, drinks probably double what the guys who buy their gas from the store drink.
It's the only reason anyone'd drink that swill; their addiction is sending them broke. lol

s

Old 01-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
It's the only reason anyone'd drink that swill; their addiction is sending them broke. lol

s
To be fair, my mothers EX used to knock out some outstanding Beers and Stouts All done using natural products(that's what the labels said )and none were from "kits".

Still wouldn't mind some answers to my questions though.

Paying tax is tough, but no public health system would be tougher
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Still wouldn't mind some answers to my questions though. Paying tax is tough, but no public health system would be tougher
It doesn't work like that; all our taxes are pooled into one location; the govt. then allocates it to where it wants. Home brewers still pay GST, etc. on the water, electricity and every other goods & service they buy.

s

Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
Home brewers still pay GST, etc. on the water, electricity and every other goods & service they buy.
As I imagine Big brewers do But the end user of the home brew beers pays less tax

^^^If not, why waste your time 'cause your not saving a dime?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
But the end user of the home brew beers pays less tax
“Of course I am minimising my tax. And if anybody in this country doesn’t minimise their tax, they want their heads read, because as a government, I can tell you you’re not spending it that well that we should be donating extra!”

- Kerry Packer

s

Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 PM

Name: Steve
I have no idea how much tax from beer ends up in public health system

It all ends up in general revenue anyway. However, money is not the only driving reason. The choice of beers is expanding now but it's taken a long time. The big brewers are doing everything in their power to slow the spread of craft beer. All-grain home brewers also brew for style not as an easy pathway to cheap alcohol.

Any suggestion that we only brew for cheap alcohol is unrealistic, it takes a full day to make beer this way. If you want cheap alcohol, buy a cask of wine, it's excise free and dirt cheap. Or tell our government to tax wine at the same rate as beer - that makes sense. Learning to brew good beer is a very satisfying hobby - when you're not pulling cars to bits that is.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 PM

I wish I lived a walking distance to Murrays

I wouldn't buy "mainstream" beers again
Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labels View Post
I have no idea how much tax from beer ends up in public health system

It all ends up in general revenue anyway.
Also, some home brewers may have private health insurance and you can't say all of them will end up needing hospital; some could be brewing for friends & family or just do it as a hobby.

Our welfare system is tax funded and all of us pay for everyone on the dole, in public hospital, etc. without discrimination of how much they contributed in taxes to get there.

s

Old 16-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Name: Geoff
Well to give you an idea on prices until recently I was working on Christmas Island on and off and yes at the Detention Centre for boat arrivals . But back to topic a 2 litre bottle off Bundaberg Rum was $19.00 Jim Beam same size was $25.50. I used to buy a 4.5 litre Jack Daniels at the start off each rotation for $90.00. Coke used to cost me $25.00 for a case same in VB was $16.00. Packet of smokes which I don't smoke were $2.60 a packet or $23.00 a cartoon they were $87.00 a cartoon at Perth Airport duty free. But a Ice Coffee Chill was $9.50 came by air same a fresh fruit and veg Banana was around $4.00 each.
Old 27-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Name: Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by motec6.9 View Post
Well to give you an idea on prices until recently I was working on Christmas Island on and off and yes at the Detention Centre for boat arrivals . But back to topic a 2 litre bottle off Bundaberg Rum was $19.00 Jim Beam same size was $25.50. I used to buy a 4.5 litre Jack Daniels at the start off each rotation for $90.00. Coke used to cost me $25.00 for a case same in VB was $16.00. Packet of smokes which I don't smoke were $2.60 a packet or $23.00 a cartoon they were $87.00 a cartoon at Perth Airport duty free. But a Ice Coffee Chill was $9.50 came by air same a fresh fruit and veg Banana was around $4.00 each.
wow thats cheap rum
Old 28-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Name: Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyper View Post
wow thats cheap rum
Sounds about right, use to pick up two 1.25l op rum at Cairns airport for about $50 every time I flew in when working O/S earlier this year. Now have quite a collection to get through only thing I have to do is keep my brother away from it rum evaporates around him.
Old 26-07-2016, 01:34 PM

Name: Georgerc
For a 330ml glass of beer where i am at the minute costs around $1 USD it is great you can drink all day a barley touches you'r wallet... back to reality soon though