Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Name: Peter
wood staining ?

I have a Grant wood steering wheel that is finished in a "walnut" colour. The finish is rather flat.
I have been thinking of staining it something darker and with more gloss.
Any experts out there who know the procedure ? I know nothing about wood finishing
Should the current finish be sanded off or can I go over the top with the stain
Once stained how do I get the glossy finish Is a brush application ok

Any advise guys

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Name: Frank
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
I have a Grant wood steering wheel that is finished in a "walnut" colour. The finish is rather flat.
I have been thinking of staining it something darker and with more gloss.
Any experts out there who know the procedure ? I know nothing about wood finishing
Should the current finish be sanded off or can I go over the top with the stain
Once stained how do I get the glossy finish Is a brush application ok

Any advise guys
Hi,
Many moons ago I completed a 4 year apprenticeship in French Polishing, What I would suggest is back to basics, as though you are polishing any piece of furniture. Firstly remove the existing finish by either sanding carefully to maintain shape or if your not confident use paint stripper from your local hardware. Brush the paint stripper on then when you see that it is soft scrape the old lacquer off and then sand the remaining stuff to a bare wood finish. From here you can purchase the desired stain, either a spirit based stain or oil based would be good (follow the product information on the item container for application as there are many ways to apply stains) and don't buy a combination of stain and lacquer as this tends to go darker if you apply it on in too many coats and generally is not hard wearing. Start off with a slightly lighter colour for your stain and rub it on with a soft cloth, generally cheese cloth works best, have a practice on a scrap piece of wood first to get an even consistency. Then to check the finished colour before you apply the lacquer just lick your finger and smear some of your saliva on the stained surface and see if you like the colour before it dries ( I know it may sound grose to some but it does make for easy work). Once happy with the colour apply a polyurethane lacquer, in what ever gloss you like. This can be in two pack form (part A & part B mixtures) or a unipack item which would probably be easier. Using a polyurethane product if your wondering, ensures a hard compoundable finish later. Yes you can brush this on or spray it, generally spray is easy because you have more control with thickness and consistency, but brushing is less involved in set up. If you brush it on try not to apply too much at one time, remember the general rule is several light coats is far better to control than heavy coats for the finish. To thin the lacquer check the product information label on your tin if need be as this allows you to build the lacquer up slowly. Also remember to lightly sand with maybe 150 - 200 grit sand paper in between coats to remove any raised grain that may occur and be careful when sanding as not to disturb your consistent colour. As you apply more coats you can sand much more to get the fullness finish you may be looking for. When your finished you maybe happy with the end result but if not leave for a week then use a car cut and polish and buff to the desired shine.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Name: Peter
Many thanks Frank