Go Back   US MUSCLE Regional Events Western Australia
User Name
Password

Old 22-08-2017, 10:00 PM

Name: Darren
US Style Plates

I recently sent an enquiry into the DOT about them making a US style plate and was actually surprised to get a reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your online enquiry to the Department of Transport (DoT) website on 12 August 2017 regarding the issue of US style or retro style optional number plates.

DoT recently commissioned independent market research to provide a deeper understanding of how the sale of optional plates could be optimised and what barriers and/or opportunities exist. This research also collected feedback from both potential and existing optional plate owners. Using the data from this research, DoT is now reviewing the optional number plates ranges on offer, as well as exploring future number plate series that may be of interest to the Western Australian community. Your suggestion of US style number plates has been noted and will be considered as part of this process.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your valued suggestion.

Kind regards,

Driver and Vehicle Services
Department of Transport
Given the context of the reply, maybe a few more requests will sway them in this direction if anybody is interested.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-08-2017, 11:54 PM

Name: Russ
If it's anything like NSW, they will release a US style plate, classify it as a custom vanity plate, then charge you an annual arm & leg for it.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 23-08-2017, 08:01 AM

I'm sure they will, but at least we will have the option for cars that don't take a standard plate without butchering it.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Name: Justin
Hmm, interesting
Old 23-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Name: Steve
Just buy US plates that aren't embossed, get the font cut out of vinyl by a sign-writer and make them.

I have never been pulled over as a good job goes un-noticed.

Old 23-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Name: Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Just buy US plates that aren't embossed, get the font cut out of vinyl by a sign-writer and make them.

I have never been pulled over as a good job goes un-noticed.

Nice job.

Love to hear the conversation if you did get pulled over.

I just got a black and white 5 digit plate. It's about as yank as I can get them.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:24 PM

If I can buy stick on digits for my trailer and clearly display them, I can't see how a plate is any different. I think you'd need a cop with a real attitude to give you flack over them. That's if he notices. With our cars, people are generally looking elsewhere on the car.
Anyway, if it ever happens, I'll let you know.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:40 PM

In QLD you can order the US style plates now.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:50 PM

In WA, even if you buy a black and white retro plate, they still come in the modern plate size that doesn't fit. The only way you can do it is to buy custom plates for $500, then you can order 3/4 size.

If some copper does decide to make an asshat of himself, I believe it's a $1000 fine for having a plate that wasn't issued by the DOT on your car. This is obviously aimed at fake plates, but I don't think it matters at the end of the day.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:36 PM

Name: darren
Yeah I'm hoping SA jumps on the us style bandwagon as well at the moment you can get them if you get the "aa" type or the custom style with the price tag to match.My standard plates fit with spacers so its not all bad but a mate of mines corvette doesn't look that flash as they have to be bent up to fit on the rear bar.

Last edited by sar4890; 23-08-2017 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: cant type for 5hit
Old 24-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Name: Kevin
Both of my cars have custom 5 diget plates and they fit
Old 24-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar4890 View Post
Yeah I'm hoping SA jumps on the us style bandwagon as well at the moment you can get them if you get the "aa" type or the custom style with the price tag to match.My standard plates fit with spacers so its not all bad but a mate of mines corvette doesn't look that flash as they have to be bent up to fit on the rear bar.
I've already asked about US style personalised plates in SA.
You won't be able to get a US style personalised plate unless you pay an annual fee.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
............... I think you'd need a cop with a real attitude to give you flack over them. ..........
Yeah, there's none of them about.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 24-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Yeah, there's none of them about.
I rationalized it this way..
I can either break the law by bending my rear plate so it fits and have it illegible from side views (ie: speed cameras) or..
I can break the law by making a legible plate that fits and can be read from any rear angle.
I'm fxcked either way.
Old 24-08-2017, 11:06 PM

In NSW ..unless your EXTREMELY lucky.. the HWP will defect you... fine you.. may remove the plates.. will NOT allow even bike trailer plates to be made outside of the RSM provider. They will also defect you for a bent edged licence plate to fit into the US bumpers size.... yet they have these horrid dark lettered dark background plates that are superhard to see.. most favored by drug runners. More recently drug runners are making licence plate duplicates from same type cars.... sorta ID theft for cars.... and you don't find out till the cops come knocking looking to arrest you....