Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 21-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Name: Brendan
Ok - so I spent most of the morning on the phone to the Guys at BRP hotrods in Georgia, and I'm seriously impressed. I'm pretty sure that there aren't too many people on earth that know more about stuffing a LS1 in to a 65 B Body Chev.

I placed an order for the LS1 Engine mounts & 4l60e cross-member, a new EFI fuel tank, a set of shorty headers, a Moroso oil pan and the fuel line kit.

I'm full of information if anyone would like a download - feel free to ask anything about why I picked what I picked. The guy was a fountain of knowledge about what will and wont fit, and the tolerance for future growth.

Here is the link if anyone is interested

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/6...cts/index.html

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 21-12-2016, 07:47 PM

Name: Russ
Brendan, have a question for you.

On your blog regarding the parts purchase, you mention "I was originally going to go with the Holley Oil pan but the bloke clued me in with some potential clearance issues with the steering linkage and the oil pan."

What where the issues, and which part or the oil pan were the steering linkages supposed to hit? (I have a Holley pan )

Cheers.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 21-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Brendan, have a question for you.

On your blog regarding the parts purchase, you mention "I was originally going to go with the Holley Oil pan but the bloke clued me in with some potential clearance issues with the steering linkage and the oil pan."

What where the issues, and which part or the oil pan were the steering linkages supposed to hit? (I have a Holley pan )

Cheers.
He said that the Holley pan was really only designed for the pre 64 Impalas was never properly developed for the 65-70.

He also said that if you stick with the standard manual steering, it will be close (and potentially rub) but can be easily beat into shape - but if you do a conversion to powersteer - there is a good chance that it will hit (depending on what pitman arm you go with).

I am planning on going down the path of a powersteer conversion, so this rang alarm bells for me straight away.

I hope that all makes sense.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Given that you have a factory RHD - I would imagine the routing of the steering would be different??? but I guess there is a good chance it crosses the same path.
Old 21-12-2016, 08:05 PM

RHD is essentially the same. It's a parallel system so it's essentially a mirror image. If it hits on LHD it will hit on RHD.

Sh-t.

Reason I asked is, I know the original Holley pan (302-1) had clearance issues with the mid size cars - Chevelle's, etc. Their steering linkage is in front of the cross-member, and hit the shallow part of the pan, which is why Holley made another pan with the front being even shallower (Pan 302-2).

From all reports, the Holley 302-1 works fine with the Impala's, because the steering is behind the cross-member. I've seen a few build threads of 65-67 Impala's using this pan and there has been no issue with the steering linkages.

However, when I installed mine. I did notice that on full lock, the tie-rods connected with the sump of the pan. Now, I did replace the tie rod ends, and do a disc brake conversion, plus replaced all the suspension bushings, so it is in desperate need of a wheel alignment (car's not on the road yet) - so my assumption was the alignment will fix it ... but now you have me worried.

Mostly because I just checked the dimensions, and the Moroso pan is approximately 1" narrower. Maybe there is a reason it's 1" narrower?

F-ck.

Show Me How To Live

Old 21-12-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
RHD is essentially the same. It's a parallel system so it's essentially a mirror image. If it hits on LHD it will hit on RHD.

Mostly because I just checked the dimensions, and the Moroso pan is approximately 1" narrower. Maybe there is a reason it's 1" narrower?

F-ck.
Here's hoping bro.....

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

On a separate note - I heard from Luke at Classic USA imports today and we are officially on the water, and on our way.

25th of Jan is the date
Old 21-12-2016, 10:13 PM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Here's hoping bro.....

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

On a separate note - I heard from Luke at Classic USA imports today and we are officially on the water, and on our way.

25th of Jan is the date
AWESOME! Exciting times! and very nice parts you have on the way too, Looking forward to seeing this come together
Old 22-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
AWESOME! Exciting times! and very nice parts you have on the way too, Looking forward to seeing this come together
Thanks Zappa
Old 23-12-2016, 04:45 PM

Hey guys (especially Russ or anyone else in Impala land)

Can I get a bit of help with my suspension selection. Not an area that I have a heap of experience with and Im just going off what I read online.

Im planning on replacing everything - control arms, sway bars, coils...everything. I know that I want lower than it sits now, and I want it to corner a little less like a land boat.

I dont mind spending the right amount of money when I need to, but there looks like there is a MASSIVE difference in price when it comes to suspension. $9500 Ridetech ridiculousness down to $500 ebay terrible.

So please, weigh in and let me know what you would do.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM

A few updates to make

Hey guys,

I have been a busy boy over the xmas break. I have just posted 6 new updates on my blog

http://www.sparkys65impala.com

Im going to try and replicate it all here. I'll break it into 6 comments to try and replicate.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Well - I had a bit of free time over the last week, so I decided to finish the LS1 teardown and get my clean on. Thanks to a leak in the timing cover plate, the accessories were completely filthy. and the main body of the engine was caked with oil and dirt.

I had been toying with the idea of buying a parts washer and mounting it in the garage - but it seemed prohibitively expensive and doesn't really solve the problem of a dirty block. So I bought a couple of tubs from Bunnings, and mate a wash station outside on the patio.

Pretty simple set-up - I had a strong mix of heavy duty degreaser and water in the left tub with some scrubbing brushes and steel wool. Then in the right tub, I just had a standard garden hose with the pressure setting on the fitting.

It is pretty time consuming but the results were fantastic.

The for the block and heads and oil pan, I got out the pressure washer and doused it all in degreaser. To spite being covered head to toe in oil and gunk - the results were also spot on. So happy that I took the time to do it properly.

These photos were taken after I had removed all the rags and cardboard that I used to block up the cathedral ports and spark plugs and extractor ports etc etc.

Last edited by sparky; 05-01-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 04:20 PM

The Xmas break - Part II

With everything cleaned up - I decided to get down to painting. I have read quite a few threads about people that seem upset with painting an LS1 because there is no need. I disagree entirely. The need is to look fantastic and the additional benefit of being resistant to oils and other fluids.

So being christmas, not everything was open. I shot down to bunnings on the off chance that they would stock engine enamel - and to my surprise....BAM, WhiteKnight High temp engine spray paint.

....but they only had the Aluminium Silver in stock. So I grabbed a can so that I could at least get started. I set up a little hanging production line off the pergola - using builders string and cut up pieces of coat hangers. Oh, and that's "Chook" the staffy, hanging out with me.

I got through the mounts and brackets pretty quickly. It was a hot day on boxing day - and you are meant to drop a coat every 10 minutes with this stuff. So I was twiddling my thumbs in no time.

I decided to chance my luck and shoot down to Supercheap to see if they were open. Not only were they open, but there was 20% off everything in store - so I went a little crazy and bought a whole heap of stuff. Including

Hands down, no questions the Dupli-colour paint is 1 million times better than the WhiteKnight stuff. Goes on easier, harder wearing, better nossle - just all round a better option.

Below are a few pics of the painting process.

I know its not the prettiest masking job that you have ever seen - but I used what I had laying around. A4 printer paper and garbage bags.

1st coat of primer on - I was seriously tempted to leave it this colour....

The black looks mint.

Water Pump - heaps of taping off ports and fiddly work.

umm - ignore the weeds.

Head covers

Starter Motor

Masking the heads for painting is a lot more involved. An hour sitting with a Stanley knife carefully cutting around all the ports and mounting surfaces to make sure you get a good seal. Its surprisingly easy but just takes tons of time.

All the spark plug ports were stuffed with rags as well

End result - STOKED

That the final result with the water pump mounted for visual effect.

Last edited by sparky; 06-01-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Might pay to resize a couple of those images mate

Show Me How To Live

Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 PM

yeah - I was having technical issues at work, so I gave up half way through
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Name: Rowan
Hi Brendon
I did some minimal work on my 65 impala that did not cost much but totally transformed the way the car drove. It used to float like a boat and I tightened right up with simple stuff.
I bought a hotchkis sway bar kit for front and rear.
Bought locally supplied very stiff shocks front and rear.
Bought local king lowered springs and then cut them again to get right. King springs are harder than standard. It's important to do the shocks as they play the biggest part in changing the suspension.
I would also go for poly graphite bushes in the front and rear end but I did not do that. I think new trailing arms are a waste of money.
After this stuff fitted it's awesome for a fat car. That lot won't set you back much more than 3k
If you are in melbourne pm me and I will take u for a drive.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:53 PM

ok - pictures are working now (i hope)

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I wanted to match up the bolt heads with the fresh new paintwork on the block, heads and accessories. I know its quite likely that they will chip if you use a rattle gun or driver, but I'm hopeful that this is a better outcome than spraying them once they are on.

So I made up a little paint station in the garage.

I mounted a canvas painting drop sheet up against the back of one of the workbenches to protect the tools and the worktop. Then I grabbed some scrap treated pine sleeper offcuts and jumped on the drill press. I wanted the bolts to sit with the shaft and thread of the bolts protected so that only the heads got colour.

I used a 100w bulb in a desk lamp to help set the enamel and went through the same process as the engine itself. 2 coats of primer and then 2 coats of colour. 10 minute intervals and then 72 hrs to cure. Im, hopeful that will give it a really good bond.

I had all the best intentions in the world to stay super organised and to make sure I knew where everything came from. At some stage in the process - I did mix up a couple of accessory and engine mount bolts. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me later.

I also made a little holder for oversized bolts like the harmonic balance bolt. I love little mini projects like this.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Final update for today.........

Oh dear god. I'm in love

My xmas presents turned up from the US finally (all be it a little late). It looks better than I could of imagined and I'm so glad I picked it. I said in a previous post that I had ordered the black one. I changed my mind at the last second and went with the chrome to match the silver heads and offset the black valley cover.

Let me introduce you to Holley Sniper Intake, otherwise know as "you sexy bitch

[I went straight home and test mounted....

BIG 102mm port for 102mm Throttle body. Going up to 48lb/hr high impedance injectors as well, so that's a lot of juice and a lot of air. Hopefully with a nice cam and tune we get a big bang.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:18 AM

That intake is niiiiiiice!
Any impact on under bonnet clearance?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars