Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 PM

Name: Matt
hi jase, I just signed up to this forum and been following your build with interest, great work by the way. In regards to etch or epoxy you should coat it in epoxy with out a doubt. Epoxy is a much greater product once you apply it you are able to give it a block and it will show any highs or lows (dent) and it does have a very slight build to it so it will fill any very small dents. Once the epoxy is block you have the ability to wipe body filler over it and it sticking unlike etch, etch you have to sand back to bare metal as body filler will not take to etch. Doing it in etch just creates twice as much work and sanding it back to bare metal to do filler work just exposes the metal once again to moisture etc etc. With epoxy the metal is seal 100% of the time unless you rub though or grind a bit off the be able to weld and all so epoxy can get wet (within reason) unlike etch.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:51 PM

Check those doors now, it's a hard fight trying to return parts after they have been in your shed for 6 months and you find some "issues".

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 13-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Check those doors now, it's a hard fight trying to return parts after they have been in your shed for 6 months and you find some "issues".
Thanks Nev ... I probably should have mentioned in my post that I've already inspected them (just haven't "unboxed" them at home, so to speak).

Agree that it's important to ensure that everything is 'as expected' before leaving the store.
(It can even be hard to return something even 5 minutes after purchase at some places.)

The guys at 'East Coast Mustang & Camaro' have been really good with letting me open up everything in their store before I buy.

To my novice eye ... the doors look as good as can be expected.
Old 13-06-2017, 08:33 PM

Handbrake kit

Got some more parts in today.

This time, a smaller parcel from Summit Racing containing my parking brake 'kit'.

As already documented for this build, I'll be running Corvette C6 Z06 brakes.
The rears provide a 'drum-in-hat' parking brake assembly.

In addition to running non-standard brakes, I've also decided (out of personal preference) to get rid of the factory 'foot brake' and release mechanism.
Instead I'll be running a floor mounted handbrake.

There's a nice simple kit manufactured by Lokar which provides me with;
  1. Handbrake itself
  2. Boot and trim ring
  3. 'Warning' Switch
  4. Cable
  5. Clevis's to suit

Here's the handbrake itself:

Name:  IMG_8110.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  428.4 KB

The cable kit can be trimmed to suit the vehicle and has the correct threading to suit my KORE3 brackets:

Name:  IMG_8111.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  336.8 KB

The clevis's are specific to my rear brakes:

Name:  IMG_8106.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  359.0 KB

The switch is just a basic microswitch, but designed to mount to the handbrake neatly:

Name:  IMG_8107.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  345.0 KB

Oh ... and along with this order I decided to throw in another "bling" purchase.
Completely unrelated to the parking brake.

Since I'll be running some more modern looking headlights (and I've already got billet taillights) I picked out some billet trim rings from the Ring Brothers catalogue.

Name:  IMG_8113.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  362.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8112.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  394.5 KB
Old 13-06-2017, 11:09 PM

Name: Justin
The Lokar hand brake kit is a good upgrade, I've been running one for years with no issues
Old 18-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Day 25

Spent a couple of hours in the garage today ripping more old metal off the car.
Progress is slow, because I'm 'feeling my way' and learning as I go along ... but I'm having fun!

Decided to tackle the join between the quarter and the roof.

Name:  IMG_8115.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  306.8 KB

To get the factory lead out of the seam, I went to Bunnings and bought a cheap blow torch kit.

Name:  IMG_8116.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  384.1 KB

After putting on some safety goggles, filtered mask and some welding gloves I got stuck into it.
The lead melted out surprisingly easy and it wasn't long before I was able to get to the spot welds.

Name:  IMG_8118.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  330.6 KB

After hacking away this afternoon I've gotten rid of most of the panel.
On this side of the car, the outer wheelhouse was very rough (and I have a replacement already) so I simply cut the whole thing off.

Name:  IMG_8119.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  341.7 KB

Next step will be to cut the inner wheelhouse out and start the 'mini-tub' process ... followed by patching the boot floor.
Old 20-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Your chopping away a fair bit of metal there.
How are you maintaining the straightness / squareness of the body?

Old 21-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Your chopping away a fair bit of metal there.
How are you maintaining the straightness / squareness of the body?
That'll be my next step.
Up to this point, it's been a fairly safe process to hack bits away whilst sitting on the rotisserie.

However ... as I go further (from what I've researched) I'll need to do the following;
1. Do one side at a time
2. Ensure that the weight of the car is distributed across the normal suspension points
3. Add some bracing (depending on which area is being worked on).

For (2) ... I'll be dropping the rear of the car off the rotisserie and sitting it back on the original leaf spring rear end. The front is bolted to the rotisserie by the chassis mount points, so should be fine.

For (3) ... when I do the mini-tubs I'll weld a brace between the boot floor and the parcel tray, since this process will require temporary removal of the factory bracing.
Old 21-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Name: Luke
Looking good mate! really keen to see this one come together! some killer parts on this unit!

Just make sure you take 1000's of photos to the point you think its overkill.....

Nothing worse than getting to the re-assembly stage and realising that what you thought was too many actually wasn't enough
Old 22-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Looking good mate! really keen to see this one come together! some killer parts on this unit!

Just make sure you take 1000's of photos to the point you think its overkill.....

Nothing worse than getting to the re-assembly stage and realising that what you thought was too many actually wasn't enough
^ x2, you cannot take too many photos