Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2015, 10:50 PM

Name: Darren
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU367 View Post
join a club, then $180 a year for concessional rego.... not that much really
Ash, Do you mean to put it on club rego just during the time it is off the road during the build? That sounds like a good option but what's involved in going from full rego to club and back again. Any roadworthy certificate requirements?

Darren

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Name: Ash
no mate, a letter from the club stating you are a member, then when you want to go full rego just a letter from insurance saying you have paid back to full insurance and then back to full rego.

I can get you info on a club that has a 1 off $50 fee and then club rego from then on.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Name: Peter
From a Mexican's point of view Darren, keep the rego up if you're not doing a long term build.
It means you won't have to get a roadworthy. It depends on your build plans, if you're 'restoring to original' or modifying/upgrading.
Anything that requires certification like brakes, chassis, engine upgrades will have to be engineered then a roadworthy is needed.
[a stroker is usually ok because you're allowed to increase capacity by about 15%?]
It can be cheaper to pay rego than go through a whole new list of crap for a roadworthy???

I think Ash was hinting at going onto Club Reg, a limited permit that allows you to drive 90? days a year, cost $130 in Vic.
A club permit requires a safety inspection....Not a roadworthy.
Hope that helps mate, good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Name: Adam
2nd gens are becoming more and more popular these days, yours looks like it will be a good project.
As a side note there should hopefully be an actual marvel deadpool movie in the works with Ryan Reynolds as he played the character in the first wolverine movie, though it was pre red and black suit and they completely butchered it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 PM

Name: Tim
Hey Darren, im looking forward to seeing you in action!!! Give me yell if you need a hand doing anything. I can also help get you onto club rego with the qld chev club easily too, I know the inspection officer quite well and he would prob drop by your house to do it. CAnt wait to watch and learn too!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Name: Allan
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  75.1 KB

Nice...this is what i mean plans change......this is one filthy looking Camaro
Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyper View Post
Attachment 29950

Nice...this is what i mean plans change......this is one filthy looking Camaro
Stunning.
My experience has been that people are constantly coming up to the car and saying how they were never fond of Gen 2 Camaros until they see mine in the flesh. There's alot of complex curves and lines that can't be fully appreciated from photos.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Paul they are a really nice shaped car .....the stance of any car makes or breaks it..........when my car gets regoed, ill be looking into air bags
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks Al,

Yep, that's a fine example, but mine won't be quite as radical. I looked at Cortez silver as an option as I really like that colour if it is done properly, but can't get past the Cranberry red with black Z28 stripes. It just looks fast and sporty to me. I agree that the stance makes them.

I initially wanted a GTS 350 HQ Monaro coupe, but couldn't get a decent one for anything under $40k, and that was for one needing a rebuild. Anyway, a mate asked me what I like about them and I told him the long bonnet, short deck lid and most of all, the muscular rear quarters. He suggested I look at 2nd Gen Camaros, and whilst I had liked all Camaros, once I started looking, I fell in love the the 2nd gens. I love the wrap around kind of ****pit feel of the dash and interior and think they have a little more room than first gens. Don't get me wrong, I'd have a first gen Camaro in a heartbeat, but I prefer the 2nd gens.

Anyway, disassembly begins tomorrow, so I'll post some photos with my progress. I don't expect they'll be any different from any other disassembly photos listed on this site, but it will help me keep a track of what I did, and a bit of a photo log to look back on.

Darren
Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Name: Nathan
As a massive marvel fan (comics in general) I think your son has nailed it! Nice project mate. Def some sweet 2nd gens getting around & looks like you'll be adding to them
Old 06-01-2015, 09:40 PM

So it begins

OK, so started the tear down today. Spent around 5 hours pulling the front panels off, which I've never done before so I had a ball. Kept a journal, took lots of photos and catalogued them all, and have the parts stored away for stripping back later this week.

I was really pleased with what I have so far. No rust in the cowl panel thingys (sorry guys, don't know what they are actually called but the part behind the front guards in front of the doors) and only a little bit of rust in one of the front guards. Not bragging, as I know I've got rust in the rear quarters and trunk drop offs that need replacing.

Name:  Camaro Cowl.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  11.9 KB
Name:  Inside front guard 1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  13.6 KB
Name:  Rust inside front guard.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  13.2 KB

What I did find though was that whoever put the front end together last, used so many different types of bolts, I don't think there were two the same. The car also used to be white. I haven't actually decoded the trim tag yet to see what the factory colour was, but it doesn't matter, cranberry red it is with black Z stripes.

So this is where I got to today. Looking fwd to now starting at the rear and continuing the tear down.
Name:  As it sits.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  13.4 KB

Darren
Old 07-01-2015, 06:06 AM

Name: Roger
Full bolt kits available from most suppliers.

If at all possible, repair the drop offs, do not replace them. The repro ones are a terrible fit.

Looking forward to seeing another 2nd Gen get the treatment

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Thanks Roger. The drops offs are toast and are a botch job someone did previously. I'll just have to leRn how to make them fit.

Love what you're doing with yours by the way. Very nice.

Darren
Old 07-01-2015, 05:31 PM

Name: Brooke
And the fun begins. Let's see who finishes first! I now have an incentive to go harder.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:31 PM

I didnt have any problems with 69 drop offs