Go Back   US MUSCLE Ľ US Muscle Forum Ľ Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 25-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Name: Deano
Wow! What a thread! Everyone here says "we love pix" and man did you deliver! ;p Great to meet and see the beast on person over the wknd and look forward to more. Cheers.
'67 Camaro: RHD - Fresh 454 BBC (Forged 10.4:1, Eddy Alloy Heads, Isky 280 Mega) - Holley 830 Annular - RPM Airgap - MSD - 3" system - 2500 HD T400 - 9" TrueTrac 3.5 - 15" Autodrags... with a bit too much heartache to update HERE.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Name: Allan
Wow your right in to this hay......I bet you by the time you are finish you do a full body repaint ...top and bottom .....because you have the sickness that most of us have and there is no cure yet .....kept up the good work ...you'll fit right in here
Old 25-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Name: Dave
Thanks guys... & yes it is a sickness now, I find myself getting spanner withdrawal & looking for new things to do on the car now...

1969 Pontiac GTO - GM Weekend Toy
1972 Dodge Challenger Sixpack R/T Clone- Mopar Weekend Toy
1975 Ford XB Fairmont GS Coupe - Ford Weekend Toy
1975 Ford XB Falcon 500 Coupe - Undecided Project
4.2 Supercharged V8 RangeRover Sport - Daily driver
Old 25-08-2014, 11:28 PM

Name: Alan
Been here for nearly an hour ,.....
this aint a thread its a documentary, i love it, being a poor oldboy from the bush I take in the visual way better...
Its a credit to you,....im betting theres a panel n paint job in the near future.

1969 Camaro Z28
TUF69Z
AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 26-08-2014, 07:39 AM

There is a panel & paint job on the to-do list... But I'm a function over form kinda guy, so I want to get her mechanicals right first before worrying about the looks...

Also I have an other project on the go & that car is currently at the panel beaters & I don't want both of my toys off the road at the same time if I can help it..

Old 26-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Name: Lucky Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Been here for nearly an hour ,.....
this aint a thread its a documentary, i love it, being a poor oldboy from the bush I take in the visual way better...
Its a credit to you,....im betting theres a panel n paint job in the near future.
Agreed Alan worth the read !!!
Nice write up And super cool car !!!
Old 27-08-2014, 07:55 AM

Name: Peter
"I am by no means a mechanic & really haven’t got a clue what I’m doing here"
...... Liar !!
For a Non-Mechanic you've done a hell of a job Dave.
And you're a bit of a novelist too, great thread, great car.
Old 27-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Name: Caine
Epic thread. Took me about 2 hours to read it all while watching tele last night but was worth it. Very well documented upgrades
Old 27-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga350 View Post
"I am by no means a mechanic & really havenít got a clue what Iím doing here"
...... Liar !!
For a Non-Mechanic you've done a hell of a job Dave.
And you're a bit of a novelist too, great thread, great car.
Trust me there is a lot of me standing there staring at parts scratching my head before I pick up a spanner...

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable View Post
Epic thread. Took me about 2 hours to read it all while watching tele last night but was worth it. Very well documented upgrades
Thanks.. I was disapointed when I went looking for threads on folks who had done similar upgrades & couldn't find any real step by step detail.. So I decided to make some in case anyone else could learn from my progress & mistakes..

Old 29-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Name: Nathan
Sweet car mate. I'd love one of these or a cuda one day. Great write up you've done & even better work building it. I'll be following this one for updates
Old 24-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Well… I wish I had a big update of work done to the old girl, but I don’t really… I’ve been doing a stupid amount of travel for work & that combined with some B’days & a Wedding thrown in I have had little to no time to take the car apart, so I’ve just been driving the wheels off it every chance I get & aside from the front ride height having finally settled about a quarter of an inch too low now & the one of the steering bolts just slightly rubbing the header on full left lock all the mods to the car have been a big success… I have a couple of weeks leave coming up next month so I suspect that I’ll pull the engine & swap out the brakes then…

I bought a new toy for the garage, having the 4 poster is great… but it’s been a pain to get the wheels in the air whilst the car is on the hoist to get them off & as that will step one of operation swap the brakes I decided that a solution was needed … so now that problem is solved…

The last part of my big brake upgrade was picking the right size master cylinder for the job… there is some detail math that should be used for working this out taking into account the number of pistons front & rear, size of said pistons, pad size & what sort of pedal feel your after to work out which of the different bore & stroke master cylinder size you should get…. I opted to call the nice people at baer brakes in the US & as it’s their brake kit I simply had them work all that out for me. Now sadly Baer didn’t make any that I actually liked the look of… but Wilwood do make a nice one that I like that comes with an optional front/rear bias adjuster on a bracket that bolts nicely in place… so that was the model I was after. It came done to a choice of two for me a 15/16” bore & a 1” bore size… the 1” would have given a slightly harder pedal feel with a slightly shorter pedal length… so I went with the 15/16” bore in the end as I want my GF to be able to drive the car too

New Master

Adjustable front/rear valve

Bracket installed

The bracket is on the fender side of the master cylinder so I’m hoping that it fits in without touching or I will have to adjust the bracket slightly to get it to fit… but the engine will be out at that point so I’ll have lots of room to get in & work out how to fit it.

The other thing to come from my long chat with the guys at Baer was that I will really need 18” of vacuum to run these brakes… & at best my cam makes me 8”…. Now I have a vacuum tank fitted already but of course it can only store the max vacuum the cam can create.. so I ordered an electric vacuum pump for the car also… these are used on hybrid cars today to provide the vacuum for the brakes when the car is running on battery power.. so I’ve ordered a Hella unit that I will wire in & plumb in-line with the tank that way the tank will always have at least 20” of vacuum..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM

So I was out driving on the weekend & I ended up in a nice area close to the beach that had a LOT of speed humps & I’ve come to the conclusion that the header design that Hooker make for this car is just plain dumb… the headers on there now are smashed to hell anyway, but the new lower stance on the Hotchkis suspension is making it really bad…

So what’s really dumb in my mind is that the header actually runs underneath the steering arm, so it’s inches lower than it needs to be..

Now I had bought a shiny new set a while ago & I hadn’t really though this through.. as I’d just bought a new set of the same Hookers..

But now I’ve decided that I will not be putting these on the car as I will only end up with the same ground clearance issue & smashing shiny new headers isn’t something I want to do… so I did what I should have done in the first place which is some research & I found a few options that allow for tighter fitting headers that run above the steering..

The only issue with these headers is that you need to run the Mopar performance mini starter or they will foul, so I’ve ordered that too…

Also I had ordered the Hotchkis Quick Ratio Idler and Pitman Arm Kit upgrade for my steering to a quick, 12:1 ratio from the slower, factory 16:1 ratio… I’ve never been able to fit this as it fouls the headers, so a quick call into Hotchkis confirmed that they too are running unmodified Dougs headers on their E-Max Challenger so now I know I’ll be able to add that too

Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Name: Russ
Nice.

The Hotchkis route is how I wanted to go with my Challenger, but it was a numbers matching R/T, so I didn't want to **** with it.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Nice.

The Hotchkis route is how I wanted to go with my Challenger, but it was a numbers matching R/T, so I didn't want to **** with it.
Well, with the exception of the sub frame conectors... Everything is bolt on, with modifications to the car.. Very easy to put it all right back to stock

Old 29-10-2014, 10:10 AM

Ok, so I continue to be very time poor in the garage lately & with what little time I did have I’ve been working on mates cars who needed to borrow my hoist… so I’ve got so little done on this…. But I have a few hours Sat & all of Sunday this coming weekend to cut my fingers, bust my knuckles, drop spanners & say f&@k a lot… so looking forward to that…

Now what has happened is that my new shiny ceramic coated Dougs headers that run above the steering arms have arrived… & they look great..

You can clearly see the difference to the other set of headers that I had bought….

Also my Mopar performance mini starter turned up too…. It’s very compact & should allow for the installation of the Dougs headers without any fouling.. I think I’ll wrap some heat shielding on this when I install it

Now one of the things I’ve been doing whilst driving the car the last few months is trying to get the suspension setup the way I wanted it for handling without being spine snapping on the bumps & I found that I just could not get a good feel from the QA1 adjustable shocks that I fitted what must be 4 years ago now back in Dublin.. so I decided that since every suspension part on this car is the same as the Hoskitch E-Max challenger except the adjustable shocks perhaps the simple answer was to fit the exact same shocks that they run on their car… so more new shiny parts are here… these have 24 points of adjustment as opposed to the 12 on the QA1 shocks & they have been tuned by Fox for the E-Max Challenger… so hopefully that will make the difference I’m chasing..

The front shock is simply adjusted for firm/rebound with a knob on the top easily accessed from the engine bay

But the rear is adjusted by a knob on what I would have called the top of the shock & not from the body..

]

Now this is the exact opposite as to how the adjustments are made to the AQ1 shocks which have the adjuster on the body end of the shock..

So if I installed the new shocks in the same orientation then the adjuster knob will be tucked way up in the back of the car & not really accessible unless the car is up in the air like this..

I did a big of google research & I found a pic of the rear of the E-Max Challenger & it does indeed seem that they have the rear shocks mounted what I would have called upside-down…

So I think I’ll call them tonight & have a bit of a chat as to which way they should go in as there are no destructions to follow & they are very friendly & have happy to help with my stupid questions thus far…

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Oh & I did make one small step forward in next phase of this project to pull the engine out to fix the leak & replace the mounts, headers etc… whilst I had a mate here we did pull the bonnet off & bugger me is that thing heavy!! But not that that is done I am no longer at the mercy of needing to find a mate with some free time to help as I have all the tools I need to get the gearbox & engine out on my own… so until the weekend this is how she sits awaiting me to hit it with hammers…