Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 13-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Name: Andy
I had to cut out a bit more metal than I thought I would have to but I am nearly at a point where I can start putting it back on again. Well on that quarter any how
Name:  P1050264.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  P1050265.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  116.9 KB

Name:  P1050266.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  114.7 KB

70 Chevy Nova
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=10395

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 14-04-2013, 08:04 PM

I ordered some Argon\CO2 and a regulator today to get the welder switched over to gas from gasless. I need to order some ER70S-6 wire as it apparently flows better on older mildly contaminated metal. Anyone got any experience in this area?

70 Chevy Nova
Old 15-04-2013, 12:32 AM

Name: Justin
Good to see a thread on the Nova. Will be following this.
Old 18-04-2013, 07:46 PM

I received my gas and regulator from Bob the welder and setup the MIG. Its certainly a lot cleaner than gasless. Gasless leaves a mess like ARC as its really the same thing I guess. I am gonna need to practice a bit as I had the power up to high to start with but after a while I was getting the hang of spot\stitch welding.

I have decided its easier for me to keep the original body lines so I used the nibler for the first time and cut the quarter panel to suit the shape I will need. I will trim it to size and line it up so that I can butt weld it eventually. As I said I need some more practice first.

Oh and I set fire to the car with the grinding sparks. It was the crappy underfelt from the floor. I always keep a large watering can full in the shed for these types of occasions

Name:  P1050271.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  P1050272.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  P1050277.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  P1050278.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  105.6 KB

70 Chevy Nova
Old 18-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Name: Simon
Looking great Andy. How's the repro panel fit..?

Yep, gasless works but it is messier. I stuck with gasless for the work I'm doing at the moment but there's definately more clean up needed.

Keep it up.
Old 19-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Name: Justin
You have your work cut out for you mate!
Old 19-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz64Wagon View Post
Looking great Andy. How's the repro panel fit..?
Well there is around 50mm of the old panel left that the new one is sitting over at the moment but the edges seem to line up with the new outer fender and the new trunk drop off panel. Gonna be a while before I cut the Quarter to the rifght size as I need to replace the other metal in the inner fender. (and it scares me)

The panel feels like it fits the shape of the remaining body well which to tell the truth has suprised me a bit as I have heard a lot of horror stories...

More work on sunday by the sounds of the wifes plans.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenkoSC View Post
You have your work cut out for you mate!
Don't I know it.... I have patched both sides of my cowl on the HQ and plenty of other parts. Now its painted I can't see the repairs so I am very happy with that. This is a bigger scale but I do have repro panels for 90% of what needs replacing. The rest is underneath and the wheel wells so doesn't quite need the attention that the show panels need.

Street quality is the way I am heading. Its gonna be my daily driver hopefully if I can get EFI in there.

70 Chevy Nova
Old 19-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Name: Allan
Andy your going well, few tips.....don,t butt weld the quarter, because you really only have a skin, you need to leave an inch under your new panel of the old and start from the middle with your pins and work out ....same with welding it ,you start from the middle and work out evenly towards the front and back, the idear of the lip under your old panel is to stop it from it buckling...mate im only trying to help, but if you have no experience in this area i strongly recomend a panel beater as there is alot that can go wrong with this type of quarter replacement....yes you can tell me to pis. off.....i run out of gas last week, and bought some gasless wire and to me gasless welding is not welding....mate i welded my whole car up with bunnings wire and a $20 welder
Old 19-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyper View Post
Andy your going well, few tips.....don,t butt weld the quarter, because you really only have a skin, you need to leave an inch under your new panel of the old and start from the middle with your pins and work out ....same with welding it ,you start from the middle and work out evenly towards the front and back, the idear of the lip under your old panel is to stop it from it buckling...mate im only trying to help, but if you have no experience in this area i strongly recomend a panel beater as there is alot that can go wrong with this type of quarter replacement....
I bought a flanger and had it sent over with the car. I will probably go that direction but am still thinking it over. I hear what you are saying about the panel buckling. I also know a man that had his own resto shop for 20 years. He's the same guy that taught me how to use my spray gun when I painted my HQ. He knows a thing or 2

Plenty of metal on the under panels to practice on before I do the Quarter.

Thanks for the input its all appreciated.

70 Chevy Nova
Old 20-04-2013, 05:04 AM

Name: Lyndsay
Looks great mate, keep the updates coming.

Old 20-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Name: Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Nova View Post
I bought a flanger and had it sent over with the car. I will probably go that direction but am still thinking it over. I hear what you are saying about the panel buckling. I also know a man that had his own resto shop for 20 years. He's the same guy that taught me how to use my spray gun when I painted my HQ. He knows a thing or 2

Plenty of metal on the under panels to practice on before I do the Quarter.

Thanks for the input its all appreciated.
Andy to put a flange on the edge is the way to go, it holds the panel more rigid just take it slow and plenty of practice....mate don,t hesitate to ask questions.......when i came on here first up, i was told i ask alot of questions......how do you learn?

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Quote:
I received my gas and regulator from Bob the welder and setup the MIG. Its certainly a lot cleaner than gasless. Gasless leaves a mess like ARC as its really the same thing I guess. I am gonna need to practice a bit as I had the power up to high to start with but after a while I was getting the hang of spot\stitch welding.

I have decided its easier for me to keep the original body lines so I used the nibler for the first time and cut the quarter panel to suit the shape I will need. I will trim it to size and line it up so that I can butt weld it eventually. As I said I need some more practice first.

Oh and I set fire to the car with the grinding sparks. It was the crappy underfelt from the floor. I always keep a large watering can full in the shed for these types of occasions

Attachment 20092

Attachment 20093

Attachment 20094

Attachment 20095
i carn,t help myself sorry ....mate take that quarter glass out as it will be covered in welding sparks in the end......and mate that underfelt is a no no no when weldig as you have found out....but it can look out but smolder while you are out and 3hs later burst into flames
Old 20-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Attachment 20092

Attachment 20093

Attachment 20094

Attachment 20095
I noticed they were doing this exact job on Dream Car garage tv show during the week. (I think on the same model Nova too)
Might be worth a look if you can get a copy of the show.

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/sit...-nova-project/

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars

Last edited by Nev68; 20-04-2013 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: link added
Old 20-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
I noticed they were doing this exact job on Dream Car garage tv show during the week. (I think on the same model Nova too)
Might be worth a look if you can get a copy of the show.

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/sit...-nova-project/
Yeah I saw that. Not to keen on the flames but the car is solid. I spent a year in Houston for work 07\08 and this is my original inspiration. As you can see it has been in the works for a while.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...hair-revisited

70 Chevy Nova
Old 21-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah I saw that. Not to keen on the flames but the car is solid. I spent a year in Houston for work 07\08 and this is my original inspiration. As you can see it has been in the works for a while.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...hair-revisited
I agree the flames aren't for me either. Not on that car anyway
Good luck with the repairs / rebuild

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 24-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Finally!!

Finallly got back to the car after 8 months solid working on the house. Pulled the motor and box and used a fair bit of WD40 on the subframe bolts. There is some rust in the car so I am going to give them a spray each day for a week and then try to turn them. Snapped one on the HQ and it wasn't pretty.
Name:  P1060279.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  310.2 KB

Theres a few holes in the floor at the front but thats expected.
Name:  P1060276.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  259.7 KB
Name:  P1060277.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  249.0 KB

70 Chevy Nova