Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 22-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpawalky View Post
By the way, the impala looks sweet, sitting just right at the front.......what springs did you use or does it have drop spindles?
That's how I bought it. It's either stock height, or lowered springs - not drop spindles. They're 17" rallyes too, not 15", so that may change height perception a bit with where the wheel arch sits in relation to the wheels.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Name: Deano
Awesome Russ - Can't wait to see how this goes. Something so cool about starting with an ugly ducking (no offence) and giving it a complete new lease on life.

How will you do all the work in the single unit if can't push it in/out? (EDIT - Just looked at pic again and see you can open both doors OK. But still...)

Any pix of the inspiration you are using for the end goal? Cheers and have fun!!

Last edited by RAW454; 22-02-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Old 23-02-2013, 05:07 PM

No worries Deano. Ugly Duckling is very fitting for this thing. Pictures can't explain how bad it is. It's savable, but damn if it isn't something to laugh at when viewed up close.

Work space is tight, but most of what I want to do should be achievable there. My plans are to strip everything except the drivetrain and cab. By that time I hope to have a tow-bar on my Impala sorted so I can transport it over to the body shop. They can remove the cab, plus there I can remove the engine/trans/diff and take the frame to be blasted.

Got started today - Hood is off, most of the front grill, battery tray, headlights etc - but the rain put a stop to it. My arse got soaked!

I'm trying to do it piece by piece and not jump the gun. I don't wont to have bits from each end of the truck laying everywhere. I bought myself a little "organiser" from Bunnings to get started, and will head back tomorrow and get a few more. The idea is to separate everything and make a note of it. I have designated this box for the front - grill, lights etc - plus I'll get one for the body panels, one for the engine bay, one for the interior etc. Should help me keep track of what goes where, what needs to be replaced etc.

This is what I've started with:

I'll illustrate each box out the same, and list each compartments contents. A) Fan Cover, B) Hood Latch / Grill, C) Hood Latch / Hood ... and so on, plus mark each if they will need replacing.

I could have done more today but ran into a few things I overlooked. Need to bring a bucket/container down to drop what's in the radiator. I can let it go on the ground and wash it out, but that way I run the risk of water getting under the walls into the adjoining shed. Don't want to ruin anything they may have in there.

Need to go back with some WD40 or the like and give the bumper bolts a good soaking. Those things are on and good. The rust build up is amazing. I'm sure this thing sat outside on grass for a decade or two. Couple of bolt heads are rounded to the crap house as well. Will surely need to let an angle grinder attack a few places.

Other problem is I want to try and do everything in order. Front, engine bay, fenders, and so on. Easier for me to keep track of things that way and pay attention to what is what - rather than attack it willy-nilly.

Will take a bit of time, but I've given myself a January 1, 2014 completion date. We'll see how I go

Show Me How To Live

Old 24-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Had another whack at it today.

Drained the coolant and removed the radiator. Had to let it dribble out so I could control where it went. Used the case for my angle grinder as a back-up catcher

Got the wipers and cowl vent panel off. Doesn't look too bad inside.

Right side fender & inner fender removed. Inner fender is shot and needs to be replaced. Dodgy fibreglass repairs on the top. Shocking effort. Outer finder isn't too bad. Has some shifty repairs (surprise, surprise). Will wait until I get them blasted before I decide on corner patch panels or complete new fenders.

Radiator support is shot. More dodgy repairs on the right side, left side is almost gone. Will need to be replaced.

Still couldn't get the bumper nuts to budge. Soaked them again in WD40 and will leave them for a bit. Can't get the grill off either. Same thing. Bottom bolts are rusted on. I swear the rust has rust on the underside of this thing. Same goes for 2 bolts on the right fender. Bottom bolt to cab rusted on, and lower bolt joining fender to grill is rusted, but also rounded. Can't get anything even close to gripping it.

Couldn't get any further with that so I started inside the engine bay. Got the fan off, ignition coil bracket off, carby off. Got to eh intake manifold, all good until the 2 nuts holding it to the exhaust manifold - rounded! 12-point sockets would slip, and so did the open ended spanner.

Then gave up and drove home, only to discover I didn't shut the beer fridge door properly last night - only warm beers.

Right fender corner with previous owners attempt at patching. Entire area is non existent on the left fender.

Right inner fender with fibreglass dodginess.

... at least they tried to weld actual steel on the other side!

Bad repairs on Radiator Support.

That'll be it until next weekend, unless a get a couple of rain days between now & then.

Show Me How To Live

Old 24-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Name: Deano
I see a bulk supply of angle-grinder cutting discs in your future Russ Assuming haven't got a torch to try on some of stubborn (less-rounded) nuts? Either way, good to see a start - and a methodical one at that - is all progress
Old 24-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
I see a bulk supply of angle-grinder cutting discs in your future Russ Assuming haven't got a torch to try on some of stubborn (less-rounded) nuts?
Due to their location, torch will be the only way to go really. More tools to buy!

Show Me How To Live

Old 23-03-2013, 06:11 PM

No real update unfortunately. Have had a few busy weekends. Went for a drive and talked to a media blaster this morning. Have the cab & frame booked in for the 2nd week of April, so it's time for me to get cracking.

Bought myself a reciprocating saw today to get at that pesky grill-to-fender bolt.

Can't get the motor out where it is. The ground is sloping and a hoist won't be stable. Will have to get it towed to the blaster and get it done there after they lift the cab off.

Show Me How To Live

Old 23-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Name: Simon
Keep at it Russ.

I had a struggle today with an engine hoist, sloping sandy ground, a trailer and a pallet with a sbc and glide on it. One of those times when you wonder why we do it to ourselves.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Name: Justin
Have to love those bodgy US repairs...
Old 24-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenkoSC View Post
Have to love those bodgy US repairs...
... and they get even better. I still can't get to that single bolt that holds the grill to the fender. Here's the bugger in question.

To make matters worse, the fender and inner fender are welded together at the top.

I decided if I get everything else unbolted, I should be able to pull rad supoort, grill, left inner and outer fender all in one go. Not so much. On one side near the front frame mount, it gets stuck somehow. Will lift up an inch or 2, but there's something amongst these crappy welds that gets caught on something.

On top of that, I notice the fender side is stuck and it feels as though I've missed a bolt to the cab underneath somewhere. I go have a look and low & behold, amongst all the rust, bog and dodgy patches, I notice the bottom of the fender has been bonded to the cab. Good times!

Bit that sh*ts me is the grill to fender bolt. The grill is the only thing on the front end that doesn't need replacing. I'd usually bite the bullet and just cut/grind/saw through anything, but repro grill's sell for $350 a pop. I'd rather not hack up a perfectly usable piece. Think I'll just get the angle grinder and hack the fender off at that point.

Did manage to get a few things done though. Seats & fuel tank are out.

Will attack the dash and steering column next, then I'll have to buy some shelves so I can get all the junk off the rear tray to get that off. It's been a handy bench 'til now.

Show Me How To Live

Old 24-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Name: Paul
so is that grill to fender bolt rounded or rusted tight, if its rounded have you tried using a slightly smaller socket even in imperial and flogging it on, or if its rusted maybe even an impact driver, they have got me out of trouble a few times
Old 24-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Name: Kev
If above doesn't work get yourself an air impact chisel and you will be able to cut the head off the bolt and cut through the weld on the fender although an angle grinder will do the job of the weld.
Old 25-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chao6 View Post
so is that grill to fender bolt rounded or rusted tight, if its rounded have you tried using a slightly smaller socket even in imperial and flogging it on, or if its rusted maybe even an impact driver, they have got me out of trouble a few times
It's both. Rounded & rusted. Sprayed everything with some penetrating spray, and bought myself a small impact wrench which have worked wonders on everything else (how I never bought one sooner is beyond me. They're little rippers!). Problem with this one is it being rounded and in a crap location. Kev's idea of an air chisel might be my best bet without hacking up the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder View Post
If above doesn't work get yourself an air impact chisel and you will be able to cut the head off the bolt and cut through the weld on the fender although an angle grinder will do the job of the weld.
Air chisel sounds like a plan. Thanks for the suggestion.

Show Me How To Live

Old 30-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Good day today.

Firstly, stopped in a Bunnings and grabbed one of those boltless shelf things. Needed to get all the stuff I've removed, off of the tray, so I could remove the tray.

From this:

... to this:

Then I began on the tray. This is not the original tray. It was a PO's home-made effort, with 2 layers of 6"x1.5" timbers, 12 lengths per layer. Nailed together with a few screws here and there. Approx 20 nails per timber To make it easier to pry up, I grabbed the circular saw and cut the top layer into 3 pieces. Saved a lot of time.

... the nails removed from just the top layer:

Was going to head home after that, but decided to have a quick look at the pesky rounded bolt on the front fender and see if I had missed something - and I had. There was one more bolt on the back of the radiator support going into the outer grill/light surround piece. Moved that, and it allowed everything else to move more freely. Grabbed the chisel and hammer and smashed it between them to try and make some room for the reciprocating saw ...

30 seconds later ...

The fender is still attached by the smallest piece of metal down near the door where it was bogged together, so I come in from the other side with the chisel & hammer and just smash it out.

Now that I have access to the bumper bolts and everything under the bed, I covered every nut & bolt with penetrating lube to try and soften them up for tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the bumper off, and a couple things off the back.

Also, noticed this with my Diff. Has a hose coming out the top that goes to nowhere. Is this just a vent tube?

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the bumper off, and I'll have a crack at the dash & steering gear as well.

Due to be at the blasters in 9 days, wonder if I can make it in time

~

Show Me How To Live

Old 30-03-2013, 06:31 PM

Name: Paul
yea that hose would be a vent tube, never seen the point in them as what is stopping dust etc from getting into the diff.
anyway making good progress in the little space you have, have you thought about getting a bigger shed? imagine what you could get done then... lol