Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Name: Russ
Talking You're all a bad influence ... '67 Impala

Firstly, this entire thread will be pic heavy - those with a slow connection, be warned!

Always thought I was a Mopar man when it came to US Muscle, but sites like this put nasty ideas in ones head.

Since my Challenger still isn't here, and doesn't look like it will get here any time soon, I decided to indulge myself by spending every cent I had saved - on a Chev!

Went and had a look at a '67 Impala (Aus Assembled) this morning. Liked what I saw, gave him a deposit, and will be back to pick it up in a week or 2.

Photo's make it look worse than it is. The seller had slowly started to do a few things to it, and started stripping the paint on the roof & bootlid, as they, along with the hood, have small humidity bubbles from a previous owners respray.

It's all original sheet metal in very good nick. Very small amount of rust in 1 rear quarter, and small bubbles in front fender on opposite side. Everything else - Firewall, pillars, door jams, inner fenders, doors, sills, boot, parcel shelf, inner guards, floor, frame etc - all solid.

Interior is schmick and in fantastic condition for a 40+ year old car, with no work needed.

Mechanically it's spot on. Starts first attempt, and since the beginning of the year has pretty much had anything replaced that needed doing so. Will only need some minor work (window & door rubbers) and re-assembly of a few things (cowl vent, rear lights etc) for it to be roadworthy. Comes with almost everything needed.

Pretty stoked actually - I've looked at far worse examples over the past year, with higher asking prices.

So I guess I'll start an official Build Thread and document as much as I can as I go - although it will be more of a replenish than rebuild, with most work being farmed out to those that actually know what they're doing!

No major plans to change anything. Will be repainted White, and would prefer either Black or Light Blue interior, but it's in too good a condition to mess with at the moment. Only significant idea would be to import an actual '67 model dash to have mirrored to make a RHD version - they look far better than the '65 dashes.

Year: 1967
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala 4 Door Pillarless - RHD - Aus assembled.
Engine: 327
Trans: 2 SP Powerglide
Exterior: White
Interior: Tan

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...

Last edited by Russ; 15-10-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Name: Chris
Russ....you're welcome !!!

Great buy, looks pretty solid, will make one very cool cruiser
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM

hey is the square or round side mirrors standard on the 67 aussie delivered?

i've got round...
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Pretty sure round was standard. They've been on every non-modified '67 I've seen.

These ones are identical to the those on my HQ ute, so I'd say they're just "whatever fits" replacements.

Show Me How To Live

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Name: Kaz, but sometimes Mal
From one 67 pillarless owner to another, congratulations!!!! There are a few imps on this forums now. We just went "yachting" today. They are such a nice car to drive. I will enjoy watching her become a beauty again. In regards to the mirrors.. who knows.. I know my parents one had the square one back in the early 70s and I thought that was original.. maybe it was one of those factory things.. they just put on whatever they had at the time.. When I bought mine it had ugly 80's era black plastic ones, so we changed to the round ones.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 PM

my 67 firebird has square ones like your Impala Russ... haha. not sure if they are orignal.

funny...

i know what you mean about yachting
driving the boat back from Victoria was fun... with no centre console, leg room was sensational.

like riding a v8 bed.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Trans Am Oz - Just noticed your sig. Does this mean that this is you?

I remember seeing a pic of it on this forum, but didn't connect the dots. You have no idea how many times I've drooled over that page

... and going back over every image I have saved of RHD 67's, I stand corrected - half have round, half have square. Looking more & more like they just used whatever was on hand at the time. Maybe they just used one until they ran out of stock, then switched.

Show Me How To Live

Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Name: Kaz, but sometimes Mal
No major plans to change anything. Will be repainted White, and would prefer either Black or Light Blue interior, but it's in too good a condition to mess with at the moment. Only significant idea would be to import an actual '67 model dash to have mirrored to make a RHD version - they look far better than the '65 dashes.

That's the one thing that bugs me about these cars.Told Karen a few times that i wished they had the proper 67 dash... which ive heard from a few sources is the best looking of all the Impala dashes of that era
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up '67 dash ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans am Oz View Post
That's the one thing that bugs me about these cars.Told Karen a few times that i wished they had the proper 67 dash... which ive heard from a few sources is the best looking of all the Impala dashes of that era
Yep, the '67 dash looks great.

I jacked this pic off of ChevyTalk a while ago. Another aussie in the same predicament. Trying to find a '67 dash to import. Very hard to come by on their own. You almost need to buy a wreck/parts car to get one.

It's originally from someone that had the same idea - had one made for RHD.

Looks 1000 times better. The '65 dash makes it look like an old mans car!

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 07-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Added a smiley ... biyatches!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Congrats Russ you have seen the light

Nice looking ride and shouldn't take too much work.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 PM

Name: Steve
Well done Russ.
Old 13-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Talking

Impala gets picked up tomorrow ... woohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the disruption. I'm just a little excited.

Show Me How To Live

Old 14-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

Impala was picked up today. Excited is an understatement!

Almost everything that is needed is there for it. Now I just need to decide on how to proceed. Some minor body work & a paint job; buy some body/window rubbers, pop all the trim, rear window, lights & bumper back on, and it's ready for the road.

Drives perfectly, and everything on the inside works as it should.

Oh, a Glovebox insert. Need to find one of them..

Here she is loaded, and on the road for the 2 hour trip home.

... and here she'll sit for the next few months in a temporary home, whilst I save money to get her back on the road!

I know a cheap and nasty paint job is probably not the best option, but it will be intended as a daily driver, so show quality isn't needed/wanted - and the cheaper it is, the better chance I have of not having to sell the Challenger, which would be doubly awesome - a '74 HQ Ute for work duties, a '67 Impala for the Day to Day, and a '70 Challenger R/T for fun

Show Me How To Live

Old 22-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Thumbs up

OK ... so actual work on the Impala has officially begun.

Since this is the first time I've done this sort of work on a vehicle, I thought I'd start by keeping it simple by stripping the paint from 3 relatively easy pieces - the Hood, and the 2 rear corner thingamajigs ...

Started with the 2 smaller pieces but was unsure of which strip method was best to use, so I decided to do one each way. With a 20 minute wait time once you've applied the chemical stripper, I brushed it on one, and spent that wait time attacking the other with the stripper disc/angle grinder.

While the chemicals do their thing, the grinder went to work:

The grinder method is actually pretty good. Does create a lot of dust, but I was fortunate enough to be doing it outdoors with a constant breeze/wind, so it was never an issue.

By the time the paint was ready to strip from the chemical piece, this one was completely done:

Whilst it was small, it was an absolute piece of piss.

Onto the next piece, and a quick hack with a scraper removed some of it...

... then I said "this sucks" and just hit the rest of it with the grinder - 5 minutes later, it was done!

What wasn't completely removed by the chemical was still softened, allowing the grinder to make quick work of it, so both methods combined cuts down time.

Then I thought I'd apply that idea to the hood - much larger area, so anything to quicken things along is a bonus. Brushed about 3/4 of the hood with the chemical, and let it do its things whilst I started grinding away in the top corner.

After about 20 minutes I'd sanded a corner section, and stripped the loose junk from the rest of it ...

... then put the grinder to it:

After about an hour, it was done!

After doing it both ways, I would absolutely hate to strip a car with only the chemical gunk. Though in these photo's you'll see I didn't apply it properly. The areas I put it on nice and thick, after the 20 minutes every layer almost fell off, and actual scraping was minimal - so if you have to do it that way, don't be stingy - pile it on.

I'd highly recommend combining the 2. At the very least, the chemical softens it, so it requires less work with the grinder to get it off - this saves time, but also prolongs the life off the stripper disc, as it doesn't have as much to cut through.

Something to note - if you do do it this way, be sure to scrape off as much of the chemical gunk as you can before hitting it with the grinder. That **** stings like a bastard on your skin, and it flying around willy-nilly is not ideal!

Other good thing about the stripper disc method: With the material the discs are made out of (a kind of hardened soft rubber), if you're stupid enough to not wear gloves and actually have your fingers come into contact with it whilst in operation, all you'll get is a bit of scraped skin, rather than a massive slice or complete chopping off of said appendage - so that's a good thing - but I still recommend gloves!

I used bugger all chemical stripper, so 4 litres should be plenty for the entire exterior, and I only used 1 disc, which still has enough life left in it for a good 15-20 minutes - maybe. I have 2 discs left, so as long as I don't stuff something up, all I should need to buy is a few more discs.

All in all, total time for all 3 pieces - about an hour & a half.

... and it was cheap. Less than $200.

$95 for a 5" Hitachi grinder which came with a few grinding/cutting discs, and a tape measure (bargain!) for $95.

$30 for 3x 5" stripper discs (only used 1 so far)

$60 for a 4 Litre chemical stripper, 2 scrapers, 2 paint brushes, face mask and about 10 sheets of varying grit sand paper.

... Camera and glass of Rum & Coke at additional cost!

Went down to grab a front guard to do today but 2 bolts decided not to cooperate, and I didn't have my angle grinder with me, so I'll leave them and the bottom side of the bonnet & boot lid 'til next Saturday!

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 22-08-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Old 22-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Nice write up Russ, very informative and made me laugh. Good job mate!