Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Name: Andy
Holley Sniper Install

OK, so a few details.

Engine is a +.040 390 with slightly touched Edelbrock heads, RPM manifold, balanced etc etc. Cam is a Cam Research 590/590, 240/245@.050 on 110 LSA. Built about 20 years ago. Makes about 7" at idle. Have run various 750's & 800's over the years with the current being a 750HP DP. I had a 1/2" pick up in the tank already with a return line, bypass regulator and Holley blue pump.

An inline pump was never going to cut it as you still have the issue of uncovering the pick up. Not wanting to go to the trouble of an in tank pump I decided on a separate surge tank with built in pump. The Fitech Command centre is stupid & problematic and they most likely came out with this new one because of it.
http://fitechefi.com/products/40007/
RobbMc also makes a decent one but this just looked a bit sexier. Doing it this way allowed me to keep the entire fuel system intact from engine bay back. Less hassle & once I dump the noisy Holley blue I will install a quieter pump with lower pressure. That way I can keep a carb in the boot (trunk) and throw it on in an emergency.....maybe.

I was very disappointed when I received my Sniper unit from Jegs that it appeared to have been opened & several critical items were missing. Holley rectified this but it put back my install by a week & a half.

The Fitech surge tank can mount from the bottom or side. I chose to put it where my regulator was as that is where my two fuel lines come out also. I was concerned about noise mounting it on that flat panel so I cut two small bits of thin rubber to go between. Anyway the pump is very very quite when priming and there is no chance of hearing it with the engine running.

As you can see by the pics a stud pulled out of the manifold so that needed coiling. The coolant sensor is 3/8 npt so I put it where I had the gauge and moved the gauge up with a reducer. There are 3 fuel inlet choices on the sniper but I used the one at the rear because it is the lowest & I have a drop base air filter. There is but one outlet. It is recommended to keep high tension wires & coil away from the unit as much as possible to minimise interference so I made a temporary bracket for my coil to get it further away. I use resistor plugs for this reason also. I use a Crane XR3000 optical trigger in an old Mallory YL. This ran the standard Ford tach fine off the coil so I was hopeful it would be fine for the Sniper. It was.

So, hook up Sniper positive & negative straight to the battery, yellow wire to the coil neg, pink wire to switched 12v and plug in the coolant sensor. The main harness has a built in relay to control the fuel pump. This is a real time saver, so connected this up too.

The little red button next to the surge tank was something I put in ages ago to operate the carb pump when ignition on (or acc) so this was used to prime up the surge tank & check for leaks.

Turned on the unit & entered the parameters in the wizard on the HHC. Car fired up first turn. It would only just run by itself and was better with some throttle. The IAC is not set properly at this stage. Once it warmed up the unit went into learn and it idled around the mark set (900rpm). It was obvious free revving it in neutral that it was snappier. Took it around the block twice & definitely better throttle response.

It got late, dark & I was buggered. Glass of red was had & I was happy...so far. Still have lots of tidying up to do. I have put about 50 miles on it since then & it is great to drive. There are still cold & hot start issues but I will get to them. Seems to work pretty good for an engine with only 7". Yesterday I made a pcv valve with a fixed orifice to help with IAC tuning as I don't believe having two controlled variable vacuum leaks is a good thing. So I am taking the variability out of one.

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 20-11-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Name: Chris
awesome Andy I'm looking at one of these for the Buick
Old 20-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Name: Darren
Nice work.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Name: Sean
Another convert Andy!

Best thing I ever did to my car was convert it to EFI. I found that for cruise and acceleration the system tuned itself well, but it took a bit of manual tuning (computer) to get the idle nice, particularly with a lumpy, low vacuum engine.

Some of the manual parameters are only available via laptop. They aren't on the handheld controller. I'm unsure about the new Sniper, but I know the Terminator system could be firmware upgraded and connected to laptop via usb.

There's stacks and stacks of information on the Holley EFI forums pages. https://forums.holley.com/forumdispl...?13-Holley-EFI

11.015 @ 111mph
Old 20-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Hi Sean

Yes the sniper can connect to laptop via cable. I have downloaded the software but don't have a cable. I was hoping to move tunes around with the SD card in the HHC.

I joined the Holley forum & actually asked about this about 1 hour ago. Post has just popped up!

Sound like I might have to pick your brain.
Old 20-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Nice work Andy.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 22-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Nice work Andy.

I was playing with the same idea of putting EFI on my Chevelle, last year.

I remember asking about it on here, and I remember Steve the legend, saying for the amount time I drive it , there is no point. A good tuned carburetor will just do, it was good for 50 years ..why change

I did exactly that, left it on and tuned it well, never had an issue and non
of this computer tuning stuff to deal with.

I can see the benefits though, I am just happy with old school setup.

Nice work again.
Old 22-11-2017, 11:41 AM

For me the Buick daily driven, keeping the carby in tune is a pain in the arse. runs rish, then lean, needs a rebuild etc...evry 3 months I'm adjusting it or having to give it a clean. Right now I just did a rebuild 4 weeks ago and still haven't got it exactly right. Rich at idle, leans at WOT. same jets as before, same settings as before, just laying around but not perfect yet...EFI would save me tons of time
Old 22-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Name: Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE View Post
Hi Sean

Yes the sniper can connect to laptop via cable. I have downloaded the software but don't have a cable. I was hoping to move tunes around with the SD card in the HHC.

I joined the Holley forum & actually asked about this about 1 hour ago. Post has just popped up!

Sound like I might have to pick your brain.
happy to help mate. send me a PM when you're ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
For me the Buick daily driven, keeping the carby in tune is a pain in the arse. runs rish, then lean, needs a rebuild etc...evry 3 months I'm adjusting it or having to give it a clean. Right now I just did a rebuild 4 weeks ago and still haven't got it exactly right. Rich at idle, leans at WOT. same jets as before, same settings as before, just laying around but not perfect yet...EFI would save me tons of time
That's why I went EFI. I persevered for years with the carb. Bought an O2 sensor, spent $500 dyno tuning and it was still a pig. Once I installed the EFI system, it was instantly better response and idle than the carb and only got better through fine tuning. All respect to Steve, but there is a reason modern cars run EFI and not carbs

11.015 @ 111mph
Old 22-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks Sean. Got an answer on the forum so should be good to go.

I too bought a wideband meter & played with a couple of carbs. I have had about 5 carbs on this car over a 23 year period. They all drove very similar. Car ran good but being a hottie there are always issues. It needs to idle rich & then getting it to transition off idle & go leaner quickly is a challenge as you do most off your cruising around town on the transition circuit. You can tune carbs until the cows come home but there are some things you can do with efi that you just can't with a carb. Plus you are still subjected to todays highly volatile fuels designed for pressurised systems.

I still have a stock carb on my stock Windsor & it behaves itself very well. As it should considering the development Ford would have thrown at it.

Some of my reasons for going efi was easier hot starting, improved throttle response, less stinky, cleaner idle and hopefully much much improved economy. All of this resulting in me driving the car more.
Old 22-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Name: Darren
Interesting that the G-Surge is actually cheaper than the old Fuel Command Centre. What's the overall installed height including your attached fittings?
Old 22-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Cheaper because it doesn't have the crap in it that fails and you don't need. The g-surge is about 290mm high with fittings.

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 22-11-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 23-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post

Really? All of my American cars have been daily drivers for the past 36 years and I've almost never had to touch the carb - on any car.
Old 23-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Chris, I've been using the carb to band aid another issue, which I finally pulled my finger out and fixed 4 weeks ago. I had no timing tape and the timing tab was unsightable. Net result never timed properly and hence I've been constantly fiddling with the carb. I fixed that 4 weeks ago. New timing tape on balancer, new timing mark (home made). Now timed much better, but rich at idle and lean at WOT, but I haven't changed jets yet. I suspect now it's timed right, I need to rejet it
Old 23-11-2017, 07:59 PM

Name: Geoff
Chris Luxford,
What sort of carb? Holley? Something else is wrong if the carb needs a rebuild every 3 mths.

Good carbs: QJ, any Carter four barrel including the TQ & Edelbrocks should go for years without service, unless they are doing huge mileage.

I had a GTO here today with an Edel 600 carb on it that was surging just off idle. Owner had had it 'dyno' tuned to fix the problem & it came back running worse!! After adjusting the idle mixture screws, problem is 9/10ths fixed. Just unbelievable that today's mechanics cannot adjust idle screws. I will be getting the car back to check timing etc & get it running 10/10....