Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Russ;53560]For those of you with Photoshop, there is a fantastic add-on Filter called "Lucis Art" (don't think it has anything to do with George Lucas though).

Hey Russ,
where did you find that filter?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Steve - as Jason said bracketed exposure.
Thanks Chris, I understand what exposure bracketing is, but these are all exposure bracketed off the one picture in Photoshop right?
The Edge of Speed link I posted has pics that must have been done that way because there are people in them and they haven't moved between exposures.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Name: Jay
Steve I took these today, set the camera to AEB Automatic exposure bracketing, then set it to continuous shooting. When I was ready to take the shot I held the button in and heard the camera take three consecutive shots. This is what it came up with. There are also programs for creating different exposures from one shot for instances where there is movement. One such program is called Aperture.

Name:  IMG_2566.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_2567.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  87.7 KBName:  IMG_2568.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  96.0 KB

Last edited by jaywildone57; 09-02-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
The Edge of Speed link I posted has pics that must have been done that way because there are people in them and they haven't moved between exposures.
From what I've read, you can choose to eliminate ghosts.. ie the moving people... just taking them from the one frame.. keeping the main subject and backdrop across all frames.

Alternately, I am wondering how long it is between frames on the DSLRs, in that if it is set to do exposure bracketing.. is it taking 3+ shots consecutively, or concurrently.

Dodgy Bros. Customs
Always be yourself.. unless you can be Batman.. ALWAYS be Batman.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Hey Russ,
where did you find that filter?
It's actually a software plug-in rather than just a simple filter, which unfortunately means it isn't free - but you can find their website here: https://www.lucisart.com

LucisArt 3 (SE & ED) are the programs - if you're resourceful you should be able to find them without paying for them

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Name: Chris
jay is correct. From my basic understanding (my Dad did a lot of photography) AEB will take (usually) 3 shots (can set it to take more on more advanced DSLR's). They are all within milliseconds. Others will take them consecutively, well actually it just takes 1, and applies exposure filters to create 3 blend em and create a HDR image. The new iPhone 4 does this using an app called AutoHDR.

Using AEB is far better. You blend those 3 to get the HDR image, then using various software apps tone map or apply filters to get the various images.

I know people that layer tone mapped images for a whole variety of effects.

But as said I am a novice in this stuff, never been of huge interest to me, but do like some of the outputs
Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Name: Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
LucisArt 3 (SE & ED) are the programs - if you're resourceful you should be able to find them without paying for them
Cough Cough

Must give up women... Well more than 1 anyway.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:03 AM

I know exaclty what AEB is.. I worked in a camera shop/s for just under 10 years, so I am very familiar with the term. Generally, it's 1.5 stops under, correct, and 1.5 over but will depend on what the camara is programmed to do. Manually is as much or as little as you want.

What I am saying is you must be able to exposure bracket on the PC with ONE picture to get the same effect. For example, a drag car on it's way down the strip, where 3 actual photographs will very different and never layer.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I know exaclty what AEB is.. I worked in a camera shop/s for just under 10 years, so I am very familiar with the term. Generally, it's 1.5 stops under, correct, and 1.5 over but will depend on what the camara is programmed to do. Manually is as much or as little as you want.

What I am saying is you must be able to exposure bracket on the PC with ONE picture to get the same effect. For example, a drag car on it's way down the strip, where 3 actual photographs will very different and never layer.
Ah, so you know more about this than I do

How I did it from one shot using PC software is this.

Took one shot (lets call it normal)
Opened it in Pixelmator
Under exposed the shot and "saved as" under
then re-opened normal and over exposed it and saved as over
Opened Luminance imported the 3 photos from which it blends them to create a HDR

I actually did this a few times as Pixelmator allows you to play around with the amount of exposure you apply (under or over) on each pic..

Trial and error
Sorry for missing your question, hope this explains better....
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Name: Jason
Quote:

If you use photomatix Which is dedicated HDR software, you have the option of doing it from one photo or three and it allows you to adjust it to whatever you want before you blend it ( +1, +1.5, +2 etc.) then you can add a filter. The one I did on my car earlier in this thread was from one photo, then photomatix gave me -1.5, 0, +1.5, then blended them and applied the "grunge" filter. It is a bit overdone, but I was really just demonstrating what can be achieved with just one photo. from memory I think I may have taken that photo on my compact digital.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Been playing some more...

Summer Nats Pics

Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Working well there Nate. Looking really good.
Only critisism would be (lack of) color saturation.
The effect sure ads to the contrast.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Used an iPhone "AutoHDR" image and through it in Photomatix.

This is the result just one quick tone map on it.

Also played around with some layering in Pixelmator.

Might be hooked on this stuff....

Keeps me busy while on client conference calls.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Nate that Cuda and that VW look fantastic, the VW comes out awesome
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Wow this is fun... Can't wait until I can start playing with some pics of my car.

Here is Wombats:

Randoms

Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 AM

Awesome Nate! Love 'em.