Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWOG View Post
Now your talking my language go a couple hair dryers
Plenty of room for a couple of itty bitty turbos Not so sure about the intercooler and the related plumbing. Though I have seen a VZ Commodore with with forward mounted twins with 6" exhausts filling up each side of the engine bay, so there is hope.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Procharger = GAME OVER!!

Meh.....
Old 16-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Update:

Rear X member completed. Tunnel close up completed. Now for engine build up and exhaust.

Name:  6L90 RR Tunnel 1C.JPG
Views: 1028
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  6L90 from RR in Tunnel 1Ed.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  6L90 Front.JPG
Views: 1106
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  6L90 with RR XMem 2CC.JPG
Views: 1053
Size:  50.0 KB

Cheers.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=RSZ28;6116]Update:

Rear X member completed. Tunnel close up completed. Now for engine build up and exhaust.

This is looking good.
You must have some easy rego up your way.
We would never get a left hand drive 68 on the road with that motor in SA.
I don't know why though, in theory a standard Gen 3 or 4 is probably more environmentally friendly and economical.

Rgds
Nev
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Name: Dave
No, your right there Nev. Good old SA. I still cant understand why you can only modify if its been converted to RHD? Just doesnt make sense to me
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post

This is looking good.
You must have some easy rego up your way.
We would never get a left hand drive 68 on the road with that motor in SA.
I don't know why though, in theory a standard Gen 3 or 4 is probably more environmentally friendly and economical.

Rgds
Nev
Thanks for the comments guys.

I wouldn't call it easy rego, but it is realistic and still tough. There are standards (which reflect the national standards), and they are enforced.

You are dead right on the environmental impact Nev. There are a number of reasons for this conversion, all which make the car safer and cleaner.

It will comply with EuroIII emissions standards, be E85 capable, get 30-35 mpg on the highway, be quiet (compliant with dual mode system), take about 75kg off the front end which improves braking and durability, as well as a being a better balanced car dynamically with a more rearward centre of gravity.

One of the contributors (we all need flaky reasons that work with the ministry of finance right!) was the fuel vapor emissions. Never gave a thought to carbed cars back in the late 60's/early 70's.

It is stunning how much they just sit in the garage and fume. Which when you have the garage as part of the house, is really noticeable. I had to put glad wrap over the carb to stop the whole house reeking of petrol. (which I forgot to take off a couple times talk about auto choke!)

And when it was started you had to let the garage air for 15 minutes to clear it out.

Also had a workmate that had a 60's VW. That was 10X worse again. I swear if you lit a match next to the car, it would have exploded. Compared to when you gas your car at the petrol station, a normal bowser has nothing on his car for fumes.

Cheers y'all

Last edited by RSZ28; 09-08-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old 15-09-2008, 08:17 AM

It's breathing....

quick update.......after an intense few weeks (months) work, with numerous delays for this and that, the LS engine fired up in the weekend.

The last few weeks saw the front subframe wheeled under and bolted up for the last time, exhaust system built, high pressure fuel system including SS tank..finalised and tested. EFI harness installed, radiator installed after being modified to relocate the inlet and outlet and to reduce their size a little. (the TIG being on the blink got in the way of that for a while, but now working AOK and turning out beautiful aluminium work.)

She fired up within about 10 secs as the fuel made it through from the tank into the injection manifolds up front and idled nicely. Oil pressure was good at 40psi (produces 30psi on the starter motor alone), engine quiet (i was hoping for some piston slap with the forged slugs, but these are slightly different alloy to regular forged pistons and go in about a thou tighter than normal.)

dont know if I mentioned it before, but some time back I made the leap to an LS7 7 litre Corvette engine, vs the originally intended 6L L76/L98 LS engine.

This was built up from a genuine LS7 block, forged crank, rods & pistons. Factory these engines turn out 505HP SAE, and about 545 regular HP. This one is detuned a little (at least initially), but am sure the power will still be adequate.....

Still to mount up the fans and run the cooling system under pressure, and checking for oil leaks from the sectioned oil pan.

Apols.....pics to follow....just have not had a chance to get them together and post.
Old 15-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Name: Chris
Ian,

congrats that is awesome progress and you must be really happy to hear it sing...

Not only do we want pics...we need audio as well !!!
Old 16-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post

congrats that is awesome progress and you must be really happy to hear it sing...

Not only do we want pics...we need audio as well !!!
Yes very happy to hear the right noise!

I'll get to the audio, but it may be disappointing. I have gone the more quiet route as the fact the house shook and the windows rattled before was not seen in good light by the other half, or the neighbours.

Shot taken just after the engine was installed, not yet neatened up, and with the fenders and hood just screwed on:

Small shot:
Name:  LS7 in 68 Camaro First ShotC.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  36.4 KB

Larger:

Cheers!

Last edited by RSZ28; 16-09-2008 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSZ28 View Post
Yes very happy to hear the right noise!

I'll get to the audio, but it may be disappointing. I have gone the more quiet route as the fact the house shook and the windows rattled before was not seen in good light by the other half, or the neighbours.

Shot taken just after the engine was installed, not yet neatened up, and with the fenders and hood just screwed on:

Small shot:
Attachment 904

Larger:

Cheers!

Any more photos with the engine bay neatened up?
Do you have to do any instrument changes or can you get original instruments working with this conversion?

Nev
Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Any more photos with the engine bay neatened up?
Do you have to do any instrument changes or can you get original instruments working with this conversion?

Nev
HI Nev,

For instruments, so far I am running a nifty little device called a Dashdaq (pix) which plugs into the diagnostic port of the GM computer and gives access to over 800 parameters, main ones of which are speedo, tacho, oil, temp. If it was just for those I would not have got it, but it gives full logging and diagnostic capability, plus connection of things like broadband O2 sensors for fine tuning mixtures etc, as well as every GM specific parameter you can think of.

It also does Fords, Subarus, Chrysler, Toyota, Mazda, basically any car with a late model OBD diagnostic port.

I kinda like the regular Camaro speedo, plus it has the odometer (Dashdaq will do this too, but) so will build a little device to drive that which converts the pulse output from the ECM, to a motor that drives the regular speedo. (wasn't that easy to say. ). Or maybe look at a speedo out of a late model Commodore dash, which will drive directly from the ECM.

The fuel guage works ok with the DSE tank and sender, though the Dashdaq will do that too, so maybe the Dashdaq can go in the fuel guage space.

Another under bonnet pic. Not complete, More work to do, but much more complete than the last pic. At least in these it is driving. So far have done almost 200km and the power is, well, scary at times. It gets up and goes!

The car now weighs around 110kg less than the big block, and was 1410kg with about 60L of fuel, so dry it is maybe 1350-1370kg.

Shot of dash. Dashdaq is up high on windscreen. ECM currently located in glovebox for ease of access. Glovebox lid is removed. Some tidy up to get done in here the dash/footwell area. New dash pad is waiting to be installed.
Name:  Camaro Dash 1.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  163.0 KB

The Dashdaq. Currently showing temp, speed, tacho. Has about 10 screens with up to 12 gauges per screen (digital format too), which can be assigned to any parameter of 100's. Also can graph and log and read out and clear diagnostic codes.
Name:  Camaro Dash DD 1.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  55.1 KB

Under the bonnet (hood....).
Name:  Camaro Under Bonnet 1.JPG
Views: 1261
Size:  170.9 KB

Still a little more neatening up to do with wiring and fuel lines, and maybe some slick engine covers, but at least we are on the road....."road testing".

Last edited by RSZ28; 09-10-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Looking great there Ian

Meh.....
Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Name: Dave
Ian that is amazing. I love it! Its a credit to you being able to nut all that stuff out. Unreal
Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Name: Mitch
This is going to be insane..... I love your work!

I'm starting to kick myself for giving my mate my GenIII LS1 engine to put in his GTS R replica. But I spose at that time I wasn't looking at getting a Camaro, it was only a pipe dream then..

Nice job Ian.

Mitch
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks Guys,

Really, really appreciate the kind words. I wouldn't for a minute say this was an easy project. Over the years I have done many, many car projects.

From building custom extractors for V8 Toranas, putting together 9" 4 link rear suspensions, putting together tailshafts, building turbo installations on 4's, 6's, 8's and bikes, exhaust systems, fuel injection, even building a nitrous installation from scratch (before there were off the shelf kits), and this was the hardest project to date. Period!

BUT.......it was not the LS installation, which is are very straightforward, even relatively easy, it was the 6 speed auto which was the challenge, and took the bulk of the work to fit in. Which in part is due to me being so finicky about getting things right. I mean.....~7 trial fits of the subframe with engine and trans! Maybe a bit over the top.

Knucklehead me, in Australia of all places, was the first goose to do this in a gen1 Camaro. Anywhere! No one had completed one in the US either. A lot of interest from the US, and I have helped a few people out over there with advice now with shoehorning these 6 speed autos in. Even shipped trans oil pans over there, as they cant get the shallow version yet. Popular Hot Rodding was very interested and put the car in its under construction area a couple issues after Mr Luxford's fire breather.

There is a few A6's under way now. One in Adelaide too. We are very adventurous and capable downunder!! There is a beautiful 69 SS Camaro in California which will be in PHR in January with an LS7 dry sump and 6L90 six speed auto project. Now that my car is running, and his 69 is in PHR in Jan, he has the get up and go to finish it and get it on the road too. Great stuff!

(FYI - anyone reading, please let me know if you have good shots and we can line up PHR. They are after material, and there is some really good stuff being done on this forum. Very good stuff! Sir Geo's, Nev's, Kurt's, Muggz's, Mr Luxford's, Paul's and all the other's projects which are hard work dyed in the wool restos, are world class!)

The LS installations are "known science" these days. There are a couple different mount kits, I use ATS because of the fore/aft and low down positioning-and they are beautifully made, which enable the LS to be a bolt in conversion. With the right parts brought together, these conversions can be done reasonably quickly. The T56 and 4L60/65E transmissions are well proven too. Now maybe there will be more A6's on the road too!

At the end of the day, glad I did it! It "hauls ass" believe me. A 1400kg car with a 427 is just plain scary fast. And that's detuned. Nice!

Now just need to get the body and paint done, and some real wheels........

Cheers all!

Last edited by RSZ28; 09-10-2008 at 08:27 AM..