Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM

68 Camaro LSX Swap

Starting an LSX swap into my 68 very soon. 6L Gen IV Holden motor. Will keep you all posted on progress with pics during the project. Have heard a lot of these have gone into Mustangs and Cobras, so now a Camaro. Aiming eventually for a pro touring look.

At present the sub frame is out for a clean and coat along with control arms, radiator support, and maybe the inner fenders.

Cheers all.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Name: Chris
We need pics along the way....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM

With the price of those things and the amount of HP per $$ its a hard swap to resist!

Meh.....
Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
We need pics along the way....
Absolutely. And pictures ye all shall have. Should have the mounts in a couple weeks so the trial fit up can start. Sub frame etc should be back from paint by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T
With the price of those things and the amount of HP per $$ its a hard swap to resist!
Sure is hard to resist.....and 100kg or more less than the BB on the front end.

Cheers...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 PM

A couple pics as promised.

Sub frame, control arms, radiator support, inner fenders cleaned and ready to go off to the sandblast and 2 pack guy. Dropped them Thursday, went back to inspect the welds on the subframe on Friday. All ok. No dud welds. No cracks. Pick up Monday / Tuesday.

Name:  DSCF2472.JPG
Views: 1736
Size:  181.3 KB

6L Gen IV GM motor and 4 speed auto patiently ready & waiting to take their place in the sun once the subframe is back and the ATS mounts, F Body pan, etc., turn up in about a week.

Name:  DSCF2540.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  188.3 KBOK.

More to follow.....

Last edited by RSZ28; 08-02-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Inserted pix.....
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 AM

This seriously gets me thinking.... I should throw an LS1 in mine... you can even get the manifold, carby and ignition control module so you can run a carby setup..... now that would be bad ass with a 150HP plate under the carb !!! and cost effective HP

More pics when you progress please

Meh.....

Last edited by EAT-30T; 12-02-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T View Post
This seriously gets me thinking.... I should throw an LS1 in mine... you can even get the manifold, carby and ignition control module so you can run a carby setup..... now that would be bad ass with a 150HP plate under the carb !!! and cost effective HP

More pics when you progress please
Yep...more pics soon. Got the front end etc back from the clean and coat yesterday. I have more insight now into the difference between industrial sand blasters and coaters, and shops that are experienced in doing auto stuff. It is a reasonable finish, but laid on a little heavy with a coarse gun so it does not have that perfectly smooth appearance...maybe a good powder coat may have been better. All a Learning Experience.

GM Performance Parts has a new catalog just released. Lots of LSX goodies listed there as well as BBC and SBC. Very comprehensive. Helps take the confusion out of all the LSX options and combinations...not dial up friendly though....30MB.

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Pix attached....Some progress with the 6litre L76 and 4L65E trans into the 68 Camaro. I know everyone will prolly say just get headers, but the only glitch with this so far has been that the stock exhaust manifolds dont fit and the alternator is similar. Maybe with a few mods they might...the heat shields touch the engine mounts...but it looks tight. Everything else has ample clearance.

Now I need to get the oil pan clearanced for the steering. And start thinking about what type of headers I will either build, or buy, & figure out how to get the alternator in. It currently just touches the x member, but from others I have seen the alternator should fit down low with the same bracketry. Maybe I just need to spin the backing plate around.

Not shown is the radiator/radiator support fitted. The radiator is a largish two row aluminium piece. The standard VZ commodore top hose just fits, but the bottom hose will take some work.

Name:  Eng and Trans in X Member S.JPG
Views: 1889
Size:  194.4 KB

Name:  Bolted up S.JPG
Views: 1564
Size:  192.8 KB

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Headers...heat shields.....who cares....I want to know where the twin turbos are going ???????

Front end came up nice and clean, and engine looks great sitting in there, you must be pretty pleased
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm shutting this thread down.... its bad for my health

Just kidding... f*ck that gets me excited!

Meh.....
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Headers...heat shields.....who cares....I want to know where the twin turbos are going ???????

Front end came up nice and clean, and engine looks great sitting in there, you must be pretty pleased
Heh heh heh....plenty of room each side for turbos to nestle down between the oil pan and sub frame rails.....straight out of the heads down into the turbines...similar to GenTT from LS1 Turbo setup. Biggest challenge is where the intercooler might fit...and after that....how to stop it...

And yes very happy with the way it has come together so far. The front end etc came up reasonably well. Replaced all the control arm bushes and ball joints. Having the front end set up to wheel around and slide under the body makes it easy to trial fit etc. The steering is not in, but the steering arms are tied to the control arms to keep the wheels locked straight so they dont flip flop all over the place when wheeling around. The springs arent in either.

Gotta clean up the firewall now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T View Post
I'm shutting this thread down.... its bad for my health

Just kidding... f*ck that gets me excited!
Sorry bout that. It'll be very exciting to have it running some time on the near future....though I dont know that it would get near Mr Luxford's mountain motor weapon. That'll be something to behold...see it, hear it, feel it...shake the earth....

HAve a good weekend y'all...

Last edited by RSZ28; 07-03-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM

I've gone and done it now....

Always really wanted to go with an A6 for this LSX conversion. Settled on the 4L65E as the 6L80's were rare as rocking horse doo doo, or very expensive...like $6k at the friendly holden dealer.

Well....an A6 came up. 6L90 which is the HD version of the 6L80.

337kw power rating, 720NM input torque rating. 1200NM output torque rating.

Its on the way. Will it fit? It's gonna be tight. The answer to that question comes very soon......

It appears from many enquiries I have made that this conversion has not been done in a Gen1 Camaro. It was attempted recently on a 66 GTO on V8TV. They revised the objectives when it hung a little too low. The 66 Poncho does not have much of a tunnel. Needs major cut work fitting a T56. Fingers x'd the Camaro tunnel will need a lot less, or even no mods.

4L65E on the block.

Picture of the 6L90 mutha....

Name:  6L90.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  197.8 KB
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Awesome project. Just remember that while LSX are cheap HP up front, every extra HP is substantially dearer than SBC or BBC.

The LS1 in my 34 has custom brackets to swap accessories around. The idler pulleys mean the brackets don't have to be overly fancy to work.

Hope the pic below gives you a few idea.

cheers
Surly
Old 13-03-2008, 09:07 AM

This thing is gonna be a weapon.... with everyday reliability..

Unreal..

Meh.....
Old 13-03-2008, 11:32 AM

I've only read a little about those gearboxes....stunning.....you gunna race this thing ?