Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 14-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Major issue on vehicle imports now on

from another site.. experienced importer of vehicles... to do with vehicles currently staged to come in.....

Australian Customs and Quarantine,have Banned all items that may contain Asbestos, from entering Australia, that includes, Cars, Disc Brake kits, replacement parts... anything a Total Ban. They are saying No exemptions ?
Apparently some one in WA who has been shipping cars back to Australia , has had his Container seized and Classics Checked out finding Asbestos Brake Linings, Apparently there is a Article in Street Machine Mag recently. Scary stuff the article written says Customs had someone remove the Wheels Brakes tectonic check.
The importer claims they Damaged his Vehicles and Hit him with fines and Costs of 15 grand before release ?.. I have held the loading and shipping of my container due to be loaded from Monday. The Shipping Line is telling their Customers to find some way to prove no Asbestos, is in the Vehicles Brakes, Gaskets, Heat Shields etc.

Before shipping any older cars to Australia a simple Letter from the Seller will not be accepted for Our Customs if they decide to random pick any container for a check out. A certificate from a Aussie recognized Laboratory overseas Maybe accepted.

So what happens now ? We have our Customs clearance Agent in Australia, trying to find a Solution or obtain exemptions for Classic Vehicles being shipped into Australia. Until we get a ruling that vehicles restored will not be disassembled or partly disassembled after arrival I Will not be Loading and shipping my customers cars.

If we have Customers telling me , they willing to pay for any Fines or Costs that Australian Customs may levy Unless they provide a G'Tee they will cover all costs if any, including any additional Storage charges after arrival in Australia before release of their Vehicles lncluding any possible Damage During any Asbestos Checks.
I can not believe some idiot in Canberra has imposed the Total Ban on anything Asbestos entering Australia.
Everyone needs to sit pat until we get some Type of exemption for older Vehicles.

Anybody had this issue raised at point of import of late??

Last edited by OldIndian; 16-05-2017 at 12:30 AM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 14-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Name: Stoney
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=16968
Old 19-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Yes that came into effect not long ago.

It's all about luck , there is many things that slip through.

I work in this field, anything I can help with let me know.

Happy to help any members.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Name: Darren
You won't get an exemption on this, you will need some form of certification like you do for A/C refrigerant. Best option would be to remove brake pads before shipping and the clutch as well if it is a manual car. Beyond that it is going to get difficult if they start looking for gaskets and the like. Asbestos testing itself is not that expensive, but you will need to get the testing done by an accredited laboratory before you ship the car. That's my take on it anyway.
Old 20-05-2017, 12:13 AM

Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
You won't get an exemption on this, you will need some form of certification like you do for A/C refrigerant.
You would think so, but the last couple of cars I have imported that had A/C came through with nothing to certify and gas still in the system.

Australia's Mopar Community Online.

www.hemi6pack.com
Old 20-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Yep, customs can't check everything so it's pretty easy for stuff to slip through, you just don't want to be one of the few random ones that they do go through like a dose of salt.

Easiest option is to just remove the parts in question before shipping the car, of course you then have to deal with securing a car for transport that doesn't have any brakes although I'm sure any decent shipping company wouldn't be relying on the vehicle brakes anyway.
Old 20-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Name: Stoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Easiest option is to just remove the parts in question before shipping the car, of course you then have to deal with securing a car for transport that doesn't have any brakes
If you arrange for the brake pads, clutch etc to be removed in the USA, not much more effort to replace them at the same time with new asbestos-free parts and keep receipts to prove it on arrival here.
Old 20-05-2017, 02:35 PM

The problem is that you need evidence that the particular batch of parts now installed in your car is asbestos free and showing that level of traceability may prove difficult. So it probably easier if these parts are just not on the car at all as it eliminates all doubt. Remove the calipers, brake drums, exhaust system, transmission, throw all gaskets and linings in the bin and put the rest of the bits in the boot to reinstall when it gets here.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 20-05-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Old 27-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Name: ian
you can blame the dick wit unions for starting this crap...http://www.asu.asn.au/news/categorie...st-be-enforced
Old 29-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar central View Post
you can blame the dick wit unions for starting this crap...http://www.asu.asn.au/news/categorie...st-be-enforced
Blame the unions for trying to minimise the import of a known cancer causing substance?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 30-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Name: Mark
Lot of should, would, could being said about this. Until you see a test case where someone has had to deal with it I wouldn't jump the gun. I am yet to hear anyone say they have a personal import held up. Those I know a guy who knows a guy stories I would never believe and as for the media, well............... they love a beat up.
Old 30-05-2017, 10:44 PM

I'm guessing the rules are primarily aimed at new car imports from places like China and India, plenty of cases of that happening. Trouble is private imports of older vehicles get caught up in the same net. Doesn't help that you can still buy pads in the US that contain Asbestos as well.

Old 26-06-2017, 07:08 PM

I heard a story on the weekend about someone who has recently imported a Mustang (GT350?) and asbestos was detected and the car was "cut up" to find the source of the asbestos, (apparently the car is now in multiple pieces) and then received a $14K bill for the privilege.
I've only heard this second hand but I was also told that a few importers have ceased bringing cars in until all this is sorted out.

Anyone heard anything about this?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Name: Geoff
Nev,

If that is true, I hope somebody sues the bastards for destroying another persons property. Much as I hate lawyers, I would be happy to make a donation to fight the case. [ Did you hear about the crim who burgled the lawyer's office? He went in with $500, came out with nothing....]
Old 28-06-2017, 12:05 PM

Name: Jim
I was talking to a guy on facebook and he said if u go with a reputable importer u should have no problems.

Last edited by Floating HotRod; 28-06-2017 at 08:41 PM..