Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Pete

I took it upon myself to tell Joey to go ahead and ship the car way back in the game even without the approval to give it a head start on consolidation as there's not much going to Adelaide...everyone ships to Melbourne so they have em shipped there, then drive over to pick em up

Will be in Adelaide from the 10th if you wanna catch up for a beer?

Matt

Shermatt International Florida
Quality Exporters of Classic Cars
Shipped Right, Done Right....WORLDWIDE
USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE
https://www.facebook.com/shermatt.america/photos_albums

www.shermatt.com

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Name: Darko
Pete,

Mine took 3 months to get here to Adelaide. The container left LA, went to Singapore, changed ships, went down the west coast of Australia, stopped at Fremantle, sailed straight passed Adelaide, went to Melbourne, then on its way back stopped in Adelaide! Longest 3 months of my life.
Old 25-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Name: Mark
Hey Rusty STD Front spindals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyB View Post
Howdy all,
I know this is a bit long but bear with me…

I've learnt shedloads from many of you Guys on this forum, so I thought I'd share my story so far, with the hope that others will benefit & gain confidence / learn from my mistakes when seeking to import their own piece of US Muscle Car Heaven.

It's been a testing period & I've gone through a huge learning curve, but with lots of work & good advice from Matt & Sheri Clarke of Shermatt International, my dream of owning/driving my own 1965 Chev Impala Supersport is close to a reality.

In December I decided to ask Matt & Sheri to locate & purchase a suitable 65 Impala Supersport. So the emails with pics of many 65's started coming. Some stock, some modified, some with matching numbers, some with much bonus rust.

Tip# 1: Pics of cars on the net can look fantastic.... don't believe them!

Tip# 2: This site is very handy, lots of links to 65/66 Resources;
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/243822/

Tip# 3: Living in SA, we don’t enjoy the same flexibility as other states, when it comes to our cars so the car had to be pretty much stock or relatively easy to change to stock to satisfy our friends at TransportSA. Pays to check the Code of Practice doc and others on the TransportSA website to know exactly what your constraints are. Took me a while but after reading these along with 67cammy's thread of the Today Tonight episode highlighting the corvette with those dangerous blue pinstripes, and Alp003's thread on Jaf's Christmas Cruise! I finally had a pretty good idea what I was facing.

Tip#4: Don't start assessing cars via email & when you've got important international calls to make/receive, and, you've taken your family for the annual beachside holiday, and, that beach has crappy mobile phone coverage ! Pass the valium please....

Time passed, we got back from Wallaroo and after many emails/conversations, I finally (& very nervously) asked Matt & Sheri to inspect a second car in San Francisco. See pics and the inspection video completed by Matt.

The car is a genuine 65 SS;
• 327 factory 4 speed,
• factory tacho and gauges,
• new dash pad and head liner
• Very good interior,
• re-chromed front and rear bumpers and guards,
• new front screen,
• new front suspension with 2"drop spindles and coils and front and rear Hotchkis sway bar and panhard bar,
• Front disc brakes
• 17" torque thrust wheels with BF Goodrich tyres.
• Ordinary paint
• rust in the front/rear floor pan (the guy included the new replacement floor pans)

So, we decided the car was the one. Matt weaved his magic and the deal was done. So now my car sits in Gardena, California awaiting Import Approval, and I’m walkin around with a cheesy grin on my face….

I’d recommend Matt & Sheri to anyone who’s looking to do this. Their experience, patience & advice was VERY much appreciated.

I’ll add to this as things progress, but I’d appreciate anyone’s comments on returning the standard spindles to the car…. I don’t want to put drums back on the front, along with the springs, stock wheels, but this seems the only option for SA Historic Rego…. Any advice appreciated…..

Cheers,
Pete

PS: forgot to add the link to Matt's inspection;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfAezk54uKw
Hey Rusty i converted my 65SS with drop spindals & disc brakes so i have all the STD gear if you need to convert back for approval ? shoot me a message & ill contact you if you need them

Cheers Mark
Old 26-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermatt View Post
Pete

I took it upon myself to tell Joey to go ahead and ship the car way back in the game even without the approval to give it a head start on consolidation as there's not much going to Adelaide...everyone ships to Melbourne so they have em shipped there, then drive over to pick em up

Will be in Adelaide from the 10th if you wanna catch up for a beer?

Matt
Thanks Matt, in hindsight perhaps I should have left it going to Melbourne.... Ah well, I'll keep gazing at the pics for another few weeks.

Give me a ring when you've got a spare mo and we'll head down to the Rezz for a few beers and a chat.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Guy View Post
Pete,

Mine took 3 months to get here to Adelaide. The container left LA, went to Singapore, changed ships, went down the west coast of Australia, stopped at Fremantle, sailed straight passed Adelaide, went to Melbourne, then on its way back stopped in Adelaide! Longest 3 months of my life.
Holy Sh!t Darko !

Not sure that my mid life crisis heart will bare a 3 month wait !

It wont happen, it wont happen, it wont happen....
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markc65ss View Post
Hey Rusty i converted my 65SS with drop spindals & disc brakes so i have all the STD gear if you need to convert back for approval ? shoot me a message & ill contact you if you need them

Cheers Mark
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the headsup on the Std setup. It freaks me a bit that I might have to downgrade the brakes to get her registered.....!

I've got to speak to a few people when she gets here, so i'll see how that all goes.

Thanks again & cheers,

Pete
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 PM

OK, time for an update.... and a good one.

After waiting for 2 weeks for an update from Schumachers, I jumped onto their online tracking site and found the 'Bill of Ladding'.... it felt freakin excellent to see the departure date listed and the container number she would be travelling in.

So, Last Friday (30th of March) my 65 sailed from Long Beach on the OOCL cargo freighter Ningbo headed for Kaoshing, Taiwan arriving on the 15th of April. Once there she'll transfer (shudder), to another cargo freighter, the Hong Kong Express, and head for Singapore arriving on the 23rd. Another transfer (shudder), onto the OOCL New Zealand and on to Adelaide arriving on the 8th of May.

Fourteen freakin days to sail from Singapore to Adelaide !!!!

Anyways..... she's a comin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oocl-Ningbo-105278.jpg (145.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Bill of Ladding.jpg (41.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Name: Greg
Congrats.

Greg
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Name: JI
Quote:
OK, time for an update.... and a good one.

After waiting for 2 weeks for an update from Schumachers, I jumped onto their online tracking site and found the 'Bill of Ladding'.... it felt freakin excellent to see the departure date listed and the container number she would be travelling in.

So, Last Friday (30th of March) my 65 sailed from Long Beach on the OOCL cargo freighter Ningbo headed for Kaoshing, Taiwan arriving on the 15th of April. Once there she'll transfer (shudder), to another cargo freighter, the Hong Kong Express, and head for Singapore arriving on the 23rd. Another transfer (shudder), onto the OOCL New Zealand and on to Adelaide arriving on the 8th of May.

Fourteen freakin days to sail from Singapore to Adelaide !!!!

Anyways..... she's a comin
Its funny i see hundreds of these docs throughout the year as i manage imports for a furniture company, it would be nice to see them with a car on there instead of furniture.

Well done on the purchase.
Old 20-04-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compar View Post
Its funny i see hundreds of these docs throughout the year as i manage imports for a furniture company, it would be nice to see them with a car on there instead of furniture.

Well done on the purchase.
Thanks Johnny, hey could be a new line of business for you, classic muscle as furniture.... Lookin forward to my armchair ride
Old 20-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Johnny, hey could be a new line of business for you, classic muscle as furniture.... Lookin forward to my armchair ride
There will definitely be a new line of business of for me soon but it won't involve any furniture.....its a good idea though.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:22 PM

So, yesterday my 65 hopped ships in Koashing and now is cruising out of Taiwanese waters towards Hong Kong, Shekou (China) & finally Singapore on the 24th before jumping ships again for the final leg to Fremantle & Melbourne. Then a train or truck ride here to Adelaide.... please let it be train....

In case you're interested, here's the site i've used to track the container;
http://www.track-trace.com/container

A week or so ago, I got notification from Jennie @ Freightnet in Melbourne to say that Symons & Clark here in Adelaide will handle things at this end. Not being sure of the process of picking up the container, unloading, customs & quarantine checks before pickup, I wrote back today & asked for her advice. Jennie got straight back to me and suggested I should get two clearance quotes, i'm thinking thats customs????

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with Symons & Clark, and anything that I should know...?

On a side note, my better half and I met Matt & Sheri from Shermatt for some drinks and stories last Sunday Night. It was cool to meet them after sooooo many calls and emails ohhh so long ago..... (it was only January). We met a stack of great people, all at different stages of the process. It was a really good night, only too short (being a sunday, and I had an exam the next day :-( ) the ciders were going down well, and the stories getting better and better.

Among the group were a couple who's car is either sharing the same container as mine, or at least the same ship! As the arrival dates were very close.... Anyways, a great night, and a great way to make new friends. If anyone from the night is on here PM me, I'd like to stay in touch. Thanks for inviting us M&S.

Well thats it for now.... we're finishing having the drive re-paved and this weekend will see the shed just about gutted with heaps of stuff heading for some charities then the dust and crap being hosed out.

Two weeks and four days till touchdown........

Last edited by RustyB; 20-04-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Old 21-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Hey Pete

Isn't Freightnet doing the clearance for you? It doesn't make much sense that they would want you to get another quote if they are already doing this service for you unless they are handing over the clearance and internal shipping to S&C.

Generally your shipping agent is responsible for picking up of container, unloading, customs and quarantine.
Old 21-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compar View Post
Hey Pete

Isn't Freightnet doing the clearance for you? It doesn't make much sense that they would want you to get another quote if they are already doing this service for you unless they are handing over the clearance and internal shipping to S&C.

Generally your shipping agent is responsible for picking up of container, unloading, customs and quarantine.
Exactly right. But she suggested I get these quotes.... maybe to prep me $$$ :-O

Jennie did say in the note she would handle it all.... I think I'll ring her on Monday to see what it is i'm missing.....
Old 29-04-2012, 02:58 AM

Name: Lyndsay
Not long now mate, you must be super excited!!
Old 30-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Name: Darko
Quote:
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with Symons & Clark, and anything that I should know...?
I picked up my Dodge Charger from them....

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you be there as they unload the container. After 3 months on the water, my car had a flat battery and one of the rear tyres was flat. To get it out of the container, they used a forklift. The tynes caught onto the park brake bracket and half ripped it off the car, and caved in the fuel tank. Unfortunatley, these weren't picked up until the car was off loaded at home (600kms away). The guys were a little rough. I wasn't too fussed about it as those items were coming off the car anyway, but just a heads up for those cars not needing any work!