Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Managed to get the steering rack in on Friday. Bead blasted the front corner lamp brackets and fitted them up. Fitted the 3 core radiator and ran all the trans lines. Threw in the drive shaft however we have decided to fit a new uni joint.

Painted the inspection plate and trans sump and we did manage to get the hood on aswell

Mike spent a little time on the exhaust on Friday but should have that finished today.

Richard from Qld came down on Sunday to have a look at his X code coupe (he also owns a green 68 “S” code converts back in OZ) He was very impressed with Maddy. He spent more time looking at that than his own car

Then we rode the 48 down to Clearwater Beach for the rest of the day.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Got the front seats started…what a bitch they were with that new foam. Even though they MAY look good in pics, I have to pull em down again. They’re just not sitting right for me. Got Inga to give me hand cutting all the foam and padding as it’s a pain in the arse and too time consuming for me.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

I used the original wire from the seats as it was in good condition but it’s a pain in the ar5e to wrap from the base. What I do is cut the centre of the seat cover but I cut the wire a little longer so it over laps into the other side. Roughly were the pliers are in the photo. When ever your fitting new seat foam and trim. I always spray the lot down with silicone….it makes it very maneuverable when trying to pull tight over corners that would normally gain friction and grab.

A word of warning though.

When using “HOG RINGS” to do your interior, some spots can be quite difficult to get too. (68 and 69 front seats are the worst) I would advise not to get too carried away as they’re quite sharp and you can punch a hole through your finger without even thinking about it….and ….you look kind of stupid walking across a workshop with a seat base stapled to your finger….easiest remedy in this case….slice your finger with a fresh/clean razor blade from the side…..tyring to pull it out with pliers kinda hurts.

After completing a minor finger surgery, I chose to carefully throw the hog ring pliers into a deep dark corner of the workshop and push forward with Mike with the exhaust. Made a small repair to the brake line tab on the diff. Shelby chose to clean up the workshop by strategically

Got back into the seats later in the day after I spent a few minutes looking for the hog ring pliers that some one had put in the corner of the workshop.  Had to use the original backing foam for the front seats that I glued with some 3M spray glue. Mike kept dinken around with the front springs. The ride height was just ugly looking.

Shelby continued to molest the cardboard boxes

Shermatt International Florida
Quality Exporters of Classic Cars
Shipped Right, Done Right....WORLDWIDE
USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE
https://www.facebook.com/shermatt.america/photos_albums

www.shermatt.com

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 13-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Got cranking on the engine.

Richard from QLD came over a few days back and was extremely nice enough to donate a brand new FORD 4 barrel carby gasket… Very nice of him if you ask me. We actually went through a heap of boxes that he had ordered and there was a 68 390 fan shroud that was broken from NPD. He said he would contact NPD and they replaced the one that was broken….So Maddy scored a new fan shroud aswell….with a few repair mods 

Fitted a new uni joint on the drive shaft and ran the rest of the exhaust. Lined the top up and fitted the rear chrome

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Got stuck into the back windows and blasted some final parts for the engine. Im going to be so god damn happy one Ive finished blasting all the bits…I think these are the last, but theres sure to be a few more.

Rear windows and the front window alighnmnet took pretty well all day with the both us at it. What a pain. Blasted the fan and made a few repairs. Kinda silly but had a few dents and nicks. Hit it with a hamer and dolly for a bit and linished up the edges. Believe it or not but 2-3 hours later, it came up a treat. Got stuck into rebuilding the shifter. Yep…had to blast it. Alan key was threaded and the chrome looked like snot anyway, so I drilled it out so we could replace it with a new one.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Fitted up most of the engine side of things today. Managed to get the new altenator fitted up without the Fog pump. Fan shroad was repaired and fitted, upper and lower radiator hoses fitted. All the pulleys fitted up and were just waiting on the new 4 barrel carb. Tuesday night it goes down for the new top and should have that back by Saturday or Monday.

Getting extremely close now. Cant wait to blow the dust of Maddy and give it a wash for the first time completed. Its been a long road….its been time consuming…and its been expensive…its been frustrating

Although John has only paid for Mike’s time on the project in the last 2-3 weeks…I want to thank him for that as it was never agreed from the beginning but it has certainly pushed it across the line. He has sincerely been a champ through out the whole 2 year process. Nothing has been spared throughout this entire build and John has been …..”one of the most extremely patient fella’s, that I can say…that Sheri and myself have ever met”.

I will say this…Good things come to those that wait John. And wait you have…Maddy is superb…all Maddy’s are!
(not being bias that my eldest is Maddy) 

Spent all day Monday and Tuesday putting the final little bit and pieces on the car. Fitted up the side mirrors while Mike fitted the wiper switch and wired up the rest of the under dash and ran all the heater controls. The original heater bezal was just horrible and new one was going to hurt anyones budget.

Good Ol Sherm from Sunsate, searched for an hour of one that he had hidden away. After a small treasure hunt and $40 later, we now had an original in awesome condition minus a one small chip of paint on the lower side. Pictured below, side by side, old and new

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 13-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Mike decided to rape the dash out of my ute for some spare screws…that was nice of him

Just when I thought all the sand blasting was over, I ended up blasting the side panels, the T-bar shifter and the fan.

After stripping the shifter down and blasting it, I had it painted then cleaned out the centre of the shifter with a bucket load of carby clean. Got all the grit and dirt out of it and pushed the lever over a hundred times continuing to spray carb cleaner down the guts until it was like brand new and moving extremely easy and free. Top up with WD40, few more pushes then dumped some white lithium grease down the guts for good measure.

Cleaned and tested the shift light, fitted that and gave the shaft a bit of a clean with some steel wool to take out some pitty rust dots. Fitted the new bezal and T Bar shifter and there ya have it. Allthough its not something you think is anything to write about, it took me 2 hours dinkin with it.

Mike continued with the under dash and helped me with putting all the engine together with the final bits. Just waiting on the carby that’s on order and I still need a few otherbits and pieces. Still trying to hunt down a factory correct air cleaner for the car.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Car hit a speed bump on Tuesday. The guy that’s doing the top, doesn’t want it if its not running so its not going to get there until then.

Then I went to get the rear side rests only to find that there all broken. Something that’s pretty common. Umm’d and Rrrrr’d about new ones and decided to atleast have a crack at repairing them despite how long that takes. They make replacements but apparently there shi7. See how much we can get done over the next few days.

Had to get the front lamps sorted as they weren’t done when the car was painted. Thought that last painter had done such a good job  that I would have a crack at it myself.

It’s the metallic that scares me. But, face your fears and give it a crack

Mike went on to align the exhaust while I attended to the interior panels that I chased up. Took a few extra pics for Scott as he was wondering how they fit up as his car didn’t have any when it arrived. I hope this helps Scott.

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 13-09-2011, 11:50 PM

Finally got the exhaust all straight and the centre re-inforcement plate fitted. (John, please note I have used second hand bolts on this and they mixed heads….would like new ones that match but no time to get to a fastener joint as were going ape shi7 on the car…want it running by today)

The prebent exhaust fit quite nice but was a little long in the ar5e end. I marked it out and grabbed my “cool as” pipe cutter and cut them back. For those that have never used em, I thought I would take a few pics and one of the tool in 2 different positions. It cuts 1” to 3” pipe nicely but rusty exhausts can sometimes be a pain.

Just when you think all the blasting was done, we find some more.

Finally the long awaited carby rolled up. Hand delivered from Sherm as we were busting his ba11s for days for it. We prepped all the engine ready and and started to get the old 390 to fire up. Should, hopefully by the end of the day…have it running…that’s my goal.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Thought I would share a easy way to fit those globes in the rear back up lamps that always a pain in the…

Some might know this but for those that don’t….here it is

Stick the globe bulb in the end of some heater hose. Push the globe into the back up lamp, give a slight push…and then twist…and WHALAH!!

My next post, I am hoping will be a video.

Something that Mike, myself, Sheri and especially John have been waiting for.

Will make Johns Saturday morning I believe

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Had a productive day today but achieved half of what we wanted.
Another parts run that wasted an hour only to come back and fill the engine with water and see the water pump leaking from the backing plate. As tight as it was, it still needed to be tighter. After we had tightened it, there were no more leaks. We wait until its 100% finished before we flush the water and replace with coolant.

Spent another 3 hours chasing spark until finally we have these 2 videos as promised to John.

Have a nice day John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr70_rsKgMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEWf8zt4q4

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Been a few weeks since an update as we have had a few set backs with the convertible top. Most of the parts were missing but luckily we had the man on the job, Lance from “Lances tops” in New Port Richey.

Lance is also a mustang junkie and also a member of the same mustang as us…..oh yeah….he’s also Sheris brother in-law….I suppose he would be my brother in-law aswell. He runs a newer mustang that he attends practically every show in Florida….takes 2-3 trophys at every event. After dumping a bucket load at his car, he now boasts 645Hp at the wheels..yes….AT THE WHEELS….the car is off its face

Anyway, back to Maddy.we loaded the car and headed to New Port Richy.

Lance cleaned out the rear bow and filled it with duraglass and made up a few clips to hold the bow pads. Hes had it 3 weeks and finally I receive some pics today. He was even nice enough to send some pics of the process as he did it

Havent seen it yet but will be picking it up sometime tomorrow. Hopefully he doesn’t slog me to much for the additional stuff he did. I ended up getting him to finish those rear side panels as I just couldn’t do it…properly anyway.

Spend a few more days on the car and she should be done…..F#@K I hope so. The top looks awesome in the pics, hopefully the same in person. Hope you all like the colour combo we chose as the original roof was Black

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 13-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Finally got the car picked up this afternoon. Lance has done a fantastic job on the roof. Everything is PERFECT. While I was in his office I noticed that he had a Café racer poster on his wall. It has nothing to do with cars but more the older English bikes. It’s a TV series filmed around the corner from our office. Apparently he does all there trim work for the show

Anyway, back to the verts

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Spent Tuesday stripping down the passenger seat again, despite what the Chiropractor said. Wasn’t meant to be doing anything that would put stress on my back but how hard can a seat be….right? After twisting all the hogg rings off and stripping the seat down I was about done but I wanted to atleast see it through till the end. Get it blasted, in primer and paint before I get to the Chiropractor…..(I hate pullin hogg rings)

Got the seat frames stripped and took the frames and runners over to Sherm’s at Sunstate Mustang to give em a blast. Had to replace both of the runners as I couldn’t be stuffed fixing the original ones. A quick blast and some brake parts cleaner to clean all the baked grease and god knows what else caught in the tracks and they were as good as new.

Managed to get them in primer and painted before I left for the Chiro so they can dry over night. Hopefully I can get to them tomorrow.

Wednesday I went in and got stuck into the seat. Spent all day re-triming and fitting the new foam and covers. The base was done first but didn’t want to stress the old back by stretching the cover so I left that till last while I left it in the sun to soften up a bit.

Top part of the seat was a lot easier than the base. Without having to put it in the sun, it covered really well. I came back to the base and even being in the sun for 3 hours, the bi7ch just wouldn’t pull over properly (even with silicone spray on the foam) so I pulled it tight as I could and through some hogg rings in place so I can leave it in the sun whilst its stretched into position. (closer to where I want it)

Went down there again today (Thursday) to do a final fit and re-assemble the seat but I went to the Chiro this morning and he did that whole CRACK CRACK CRACK stuff and after that I couldn’t move again……Thought those buggers were meant to fix the problem!!

Either way, I left it in the sun for a few more hours and then brought it back to the bench for another day. Couple of days in the sun isn’t gonna hurt it until the backs all good again to get back to it. The 4th picture is how it looks without it being hogg ringed into place for stretching.

The last 2 pics are the base as good as I could get it temporarily until it stretches.

Few pics below from yesterday

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Been slowly chipping away at the old girl with a bad back but making progress. Left the seat base in the sun for almost a day before I pulled out all the temporary hogg rings and gave it the best I had. I managed to get it pretty tight but one corner (underneath) isn’t the way I wanted it but your not going to see that…still pi55es me off though.

Bolted the seat back together, centre punched the holes in the back, fitted the back seat panel and gave the plastic covers a clean with some thinners and a small brass wire brush to get some old overspray off and out of the grain. They came up practically new. Fitted them then threw on the seat tracks…..lubed them up with a tonne of white spray lithium grease and through it in the front of the car. All bolted up and the car looked sensational.

I had to take out the whole back seat and side panels as the rear windows were being a pain in the ar5e. Spent close to 4 hours on the F@#KING things and gave up. Ended up taking the whole thing out twice. Cut the back of my hands up…extremely frustrating…..Its now a job for Monday.

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 13-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Took Justang’s advice and cleaned all the blue wax off the tyres using carb cleaner. The stuff works a treat. Allthough I started by just cleaning the letters then when I stood back I realized it was over the entire tyre so I had to clean the entire thing then come back to the letters and give them a separate wipe to get a crisp white letter again. When you clean the whole tyre it also spreads black over the lettering….Thanks for the tip Justin

Ran all the new wiring for the turn signals in the hood and chased down some new flanged nuts to bolt the vents down only to find that that ballbag painter didn’t paint the edges properly so I have to unbolt them and respray them.

Fitted the 1 piece cross brace from the firewall to the shock towers….god I hate doing them but this one practically fell into place. A little bit of tweaking and had to jack the car from the centre brace to take the weight of the shock towers as normal but over all I managed to do it just under an hour.

Sherm finally dropped off my long awaited GT badge for the fuel cap. Went to put it on thinking it would be a 2 second job only to realize I had to break down the entire cap again (door only) just to fit it. I go to put on the press washers on only to find they don’t even fit….2 second job turns into 30 minutes….Welcome to the world of restoration.

So…it gets better. I get the new badge that goes on the brushed alloy part above the dash. The 3M tape is double sided and you need to peel both sides before you apply it. Fair enough. Bit a dinkin around and finally get the tape on the back of the badge ready to go on. I fit it perfectly and as soon as I sit back and look at it…it clicks to me…..I hadn’t taken the protective plastic of the brushed alloy.

I managed to get the badge off and peel some of the protective plastic off so I could fit the badge. All good now

Had been waiting for a power steering bracket that John had ordered on ebay a while back and had been sitting on his shelf for some time, so seeing as I was having no luck with thso FN rear windows and my back wasn’t on its way just yet, I figured I would hook up all the power steering and fit the pump.

Managed to get all the brackets in the right place only to give the pump a quick spin and it was grabbing in some spots….So that shi7 canned that idea. Last thing I want is the power steering giving us grief so I had a chat to Sherm and for a whole $65 I could put a brand new one on. (hope you don’t mind John)

Started on the side badges and didn’t have the measurements handy so I thought I would go on the forum and ask if someone could do the measurements on a GT side badge but as soon as I got to the computer I realized all you buggers were in bed and they’ve now got this thing called “GOOGLE”…very handy as I managed to find this site with exactly what I needed. Thought I would throw it up incase anyone else need 65-70 badge measurements but I need this link on Monday anyway as I haven’t done it yet.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...lettering.html

Sherm at Sunstate is going to give a hand on Monday/Tuesday to get the rear windows sorted and help me with the front window alignment. Once that’s done I could button up the entire interior.

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 14-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Name: Darren
Hi Matt & Sheri .

WOW is the first word that comes to mind on your resto . It was a very interesting read with a few handy tips as well . Congratulations on your build and also taking out all those cool trophies.

I'm also a customer of yours from a few months back , you inspected , purchased and helped me import my 68 Vette from Portland Oregon . If you remember I purchased the car with that little fibreglass damage on the front clip. Well I'm happy to say that that now has been repaired as well as strengthened in a few other areas and has been completely resprayed in a new coat of metallic silver . My repairer has had the car just short of 6 months , in fact Iv'e just returned from Geelong where I took a drive to inspect the car , the car has an excellent finish and was told I could take it home this weekend..WOO HOO ..also sounds like you could have done with his expertise over there.

Anyway once I have it back together I'll take a shot and return to your testimonial page which I've been meaning to do . Keep up the fantastic work..

http://rides.webshots.com/album/580231951pNCuDw

Last edited by RATATAK; 14-09-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Old 22-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Didn’t realize that its been so long since I updated this. For all in the know, the car is currently in LA in consolidation awaiting a vessel for Melbourne Australia. I didn’t get a chance to finish it 100% as John wanted it for the December holidays so he has his work cut out for him when it gets there. (have fun with the windows John)

Anyway, there is a tonne of photo’s that I loaded to John’s photo bucket of all the stages of where I got the car to. Allthough its complete in the last photo, there is still a pile of work to be done. For everyone that didn’t know, an editor from a mustang magazine over here was following this thread and had planned to do a shoot on the car once it was finished but time constraints on the build got in the way. Bit of a shame due to the hard work into the car aswell as it would have been cool for John to not even have his car yet but its available on the shelves in a magazine.

We’ll sort something out John. You just take care of the rest.

Anyway, here’s a few random pics from October until current

The caution decal actually doesn’t go there on a 68 from factory. If it was put on, it was done at a dealership

Loaded John’s first trophy ( aheap of original parts) and a complete collection of Mustang Monthly for god know how many years that Sherm at Sunstate gave me. Thought John could use them

Even found one that had Johns name on it (John’s Mustang)

Threw in a dodgy lookin galaxie centre consol just to give John somewhere to balance his beer until he gets an original 68 centre consol

THE END.

Im sure John will add to this thread as there is still a bucket load of work to be done. The paint is my biggest concern. As you all know I wasn’t happy twice with the painter and then he packed shop and split town. We got most of the orange peel out but never got around to doing the hood so that needs to be wet sanded and polished to match the rest of the car. Even though Thirsty390 when he was here didn’t notice anything with the paint….I knew it was there

I will throw up a list for John of the window list I had going so he always knows where it is and what else needs to be done when I get a chance.

Enjoy your car John. I think after working on it for 3 solid days you will appreciate what is really involved in getting an old car restored. It isn’t a 1 week overhaulin show

And…if Im down in Melbourne in Jan….I will be sure to spend a few days with you helping finish it off (something I really wanted to achive) 

Matt & Sheri

USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE

www.shermatt.com
Old 23-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Name: Terry
How the hell did I miss this thread? Great stuff Matt. Hope to catch you guys in Sydney next month for a beer.

Old 23-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Name: Deano
Brilliant. Thanks heaps for sharing Matt & congrats!
'67 Camaro: RHD - Fresh 454 BBC (Forged 10.4:1, Eddy Alloy Heads, Isky 280 Mega) - Holley 830 Annular - RPM Airgap - MSD - 3" system - 2500 HD T400 - 9" TrueTrac 3.5 - 15" Autodrags... with a bit too much heartache to update HERE.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Name: Andy
Mmmm...........full of FE goodness!
Old 23-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Name: SPARX
Send a message via Skype™ to camaro_1967rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE View Post
Mmmm...........full of FE goodness!
Maybe someone can help on these engine terms. I have had Clevelands, Windors, but never an FE Engine, I have seen them, and heard them, so why are they better than the other items?

Did they use the 427 FE as a race engine?

Paul
Old 24-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Name: Andy
Hi camaro_1967rs

Not saying they are better than the rest (well maybe I am ). FE's ran from 1958 up until late 70's (if you count FT's). The most famous variations being the 427 which powered the Shelby AC Cobra and LeMans winning GT40's and the 428 Cobra Jet Mustang package. It was available in sizes ranging from 332 to 428 and just about everything in between. It powered pony, mid size and full size cars, boats (Chris Craft OE), irrigation pumps and trucks. The combination of heads, blocks & manifolds is extrodinary and difficult to get a handle on. The 427 was available with low, medium, high riser (race only) or tunnel port (race only) heads. Also had the exotic SOHC heads squeezed out by NASCAR. They also formed the basis for the first Nitro funny car engines. It is one of Fords most successful and famous racing engines.

Distiguishing features are fully skirted blocks allowing cross bolted mains, pushrods travelling through manifold, shaft mounted rockers and fully floating pistons.

The aftermarket long ignored the FE (partly due to the large variety of factory hot rod parts available) and was kept alive by die hard supporters. Even with todays aftermarket support it is usually cheaper and easier to get more horsepower from a 460 or even small block stroker base.

BUT, there is just something special about the FE, it has a sound and character all its own that just hooks you. And once your hooked......................you end up writing dribble like this!

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 24-11-2011 at 08:48 AM..