Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Name: Gavin
Hi Ian,

Awesome job! I just finished reading this thread from start to end and its been great. Congratulations on the work, to start this build back then without the help of the aftermarket jugernaut in the USA and to complete one of the first swaps is a amazing feat. Please keep posting progress as you continue your build. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Gavin

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Just read this tread from start to finish.. excellent job Ian, I have an LS6 and T56 in my 69, but I cant take the credit for the swap asit was done in the states.

I have a question for you regarding your cats.. Have you changed them out for some hiflow puppies or still standard?? The reason I am asking is that mine is currently cat less and at this stage I am not sure if I am going to have to fit them for rego in perth.. The rules are a bit un clear on this with the engine swap - some say if the engine came with them they should be fitted, and others as its a Oct 68 build that it dosent, as its pre ADR.. confused hell yeah!

Congrates on a great build mate and you have me sold on the Dashdaq.

Cheers,

lyndsay
Old 29-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
Hi Ian,

Awesome job! I just finished reading this thread from start to end and its been great. Congratulations on the work, to start this build back then without the help of the aftermarket jugernaut in the USA and to complete one of the first swaps is a amazing feat. Please keep posting progress as you continue your build. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Gavin
Thanks Gavin, appreciate the compliments and the encouragement!

Cheers!
Old 29-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Lyndsay,
Don't know if you have the same rules as we have in SA but I am fairly sure that the exhaust must be updated if you put in a modern engine.
Sometimes I think the rules / laws are deliberately vague.
So it makes it hard when you are trying to do the right thing and everyone you talk to has a different definition or understanding of the rule in question.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...ss_4gvm_01.pdf

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 29-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
Just read this tread from start to finish.. excellent job Ian, I have an LS6 and T56 in my 69, but I cant take the credit for the swap asit was done in the states.

I have a question for you regarding your cats.. Have you changed them out for some hiflow puppies or still standard?? The reason I am asking is that mine is currently cat less and at this stage I am not sure if I am going to have to fit them for rego in perth.. The rules are a bit un clear on this with the engine swap - some say if the engine came with them they should be fitted, and others as its a Oct 68 build that it dosent, as its pre ADR.. confused hell yeah!

Congrates on a great build mate and you have me sold on the Dashdaq.

Cheers,

lyndsay
Thanks for the compliments Lyndsay. Good to see someone else out there that's gone down the LS route .

Some pics in order? Or have I missed them somewhere else?

Re the cats, there was no hard requirement for them. It seems to depend state to state. There does seem to be some interpretations applied that follow the line of "if the engine had it then you need to fit it", but that was not the case in NSW when I called and asked. Though I do know of engineers on some projects that specify them.

At the end of the day the car is cleaner and my conscience clear . At around 8l/100k on the freeway, it doesnt suck much gas either. Bumper to bumper is a different matter . Though still around 14-18.

That said, I do have a couple bends and the flanges there to knock up a set of cat replacements to see what the effect is in terms of power and noise level, and make sure it will run as well as possible for the strip when I get the posi done.

A mate who is an avid tuner and racer has indicated that his cats when removed for the track gave an extra 50kw (or was it HP) at the rear wheels. That was with a good cam, good intake and a largish exhaust system plus 4:1's.

So I guess if the WA rego dept has a tech line, worth calling them and asking to see what their spin on the federal need not to have them. The feds leave it to the states to apply, so see how you go.

Cheers!
Old 29-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Shots with period wheels vs the old steels :)

Finally got out early one sunday morning and took a few shots with the 15 x 8 Rallye wheels with trims. Looks vastly improved over the 14 x 7 steels.

Name:  Quarter View 1 NP.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  RR Right NP-1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  79.8 KB

Cheers.
Old 29-08-2009, 11:13 PM

are these the rims your stickin' with? looks good with these. Its got the 'badpenny' look in ya avatar!
or is it ???
Gav
Old 29-08-2009, 11:40 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Those 15's look waaaay better, stance is sweet

Ian / Nev, that's just what a thought regarding the cats.. I'm just going to suck and see. I was planning a new 3in staino system for the new blower, so ill get some cats fitted then, if they don't pass it first up I'll just have to get the new system put in earlier.

I think the XR seats are sweet, going the same way myself, well at this stage anyway, I'm always changing my bloody mind.

Couple of pics if you missed it all taken in the states, I only had it for one day before having to go back to work.. oh the torment..

Name:  DSC02459.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  DSC02521.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  DSC02457.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  61.9 KB
Old 30-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-69Z View Post
are these the rims your stickin' with? looks good with these. Its got the 'badpenny' look in ya avatar!
or is it ???
Gav
That is the real "Bad Penny" in the avatar! To guide me in my quest!

For now the rallye wheels will stay. They look good and are period. Would like something similar to Penny, but at USD$1200 each plus shipping, will skip that for now.

There are similar spoke style wheels readily available, but they have late model metric bolt pitch circles, so may get to re-drill the pattern at some point after I figure out what needs to be done for them to fit as the late model offsets see much larger backspacing.
Old 30-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
Those 15's look waaaay better, stance is sweet

Ian / Nev, that's just what a thought regarding the cats.. I'm just going to suck and see. I was planning a new 3in staino system for the new blower, so ill get some cats fitted then, if they don't pass it first up I'll just have to get the new system put in earlier.

I think the XR seats are sweet, going the same way myself, well at this stage anyway, I'm always changing my bloody mind.

Couple of pics if you missed it all taken in the states, I only had it for one day before having to go back to work.. oh the torment..

Attachment 2809

Attachment 2810

Attachment 2811
Nice Lyndsay! Another LS convert on the forum! And with AC no less. That's "cool".
Old 25-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Wow 2+ years since I last posted above and a shade over 3 years since the engine first growled in anger. Time flies. Now over 12000km on the clock and frequently driven around Sydney and out of Sydney. Going well. Put some Ford ute buckets in a while back. Now me and the passengers dont slide off on turns from the stockers.

Cheers.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSZ28 View Post
Wow 2+ years since I last posted above and a shade over 3 years since the engine first growled in anger. Time flies. Now over 12000km on the clock and frequently driven around Sydney and out of Sydney. Going well. Put some Ford ute buckets in a while back. Now me and the passengers dont slide off on turns from the stockers.

Cheers.
Photos?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-09-2011, 08:48 PM

And pix ye shall have.

From the side
Name:  CamaroSeats1A.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  121.4 KB

Runners bolted to the original Camaro seat mount holes. Had to cut a few inches out of the centre of the seat frame and make some adaptor brackets up for the rear mounts.
Name:  CamaroSeats2A.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  110.9 KB

Comfy fit on the side. This seat is electric, just need to get butt in gear and connect up some buttons etc and its push button up and down. Also need to finish trimming and installing the side flashing to cover up a few things like the bare steel seat frame/hinge.
Name:  CamaroSeats3A.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  121.6 KB

Front view
Name:  CamaroSeats4A.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  110.5 KB

Old 26-09-2011, 10:36 PM

Name: Disco
loving how the car looks stock from the outside but a beast underneath. i have to ask how does the 6L90 go? have you made it full manual? what did you end up doing with the cross member to get it to fit.
Old 27-09-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS502 View Post
loving how the car looks stock from the outside but a beast underneath. i have to ask how does the 6L90 go? have you made it full manual? what did you end up doing with the cross member to get it to fit.
Yah sleeper is good .

6L90 runs fine. Love it. It can either be full auto or full manual. Select manual position and press one of the tap up/down buttons and you are in full manual.

Do you mean the rear cross member? I fab'd it up to mount in the stock holes/place but it runs straight across and is extra stiff as this trans weighs a shade over 100kg.