Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 22-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Name: Rowan
Hey Russ, my first car was a 66 belair and i did the same thing 25 years ago, much to the discust of my dad with all the crap on the garage floor and parts everywhere! Good write up looking forward to next bit of work.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-08-2010, 08:15 PM

hey once you have finished taking all the paint off do you hit it with some primer straight away?
Old 22-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Name: Russ
Nah not yet. I wasn't sure about that.

My thinking is that primer would make me stripping it redundant, as it would have to be stripped back to bare metal again before it can be painted, since things will have to be fixed/filled etc.

Yes/no? I dunno!

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 23-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Name: Mitch
Nice work Russ. Gotta be a happy man with that score!! How many miles on the clock mate?
Old 23-08-2010, 05:33 PM

I actually have no idea. Suppose I should check that out aye? haha

Show Me How To Live

Old 23-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Name: Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I actually have no idea. Suppose I should check that out aye? haha
Wouldn't think it would have a great deal considering the condition of the interior etc.
Old 28-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Little bit more done today. Didn't have much time and couldn't get started until after midday, so I only managed to get the boot-lid done:

Didn't take any "before"shots, but working the curved area down, there was a lot of body-filler. Can't bee seen too well in this shot, but the entire back stretch looks like someone went to town with a hammer or something. Lot's of dents, and much bigger towards the centre. This entire back panel was covered to round it out. 1/4" think in some places.

... and the bonnet-pin partially done. Will leave paint-stripper on it overnight to attack the hard to get bits with sandpaper tomorrow.

Only a small piece, I know, but with my limited space, the smaller pieces are definitely something I should be doing. Very interested in buying one of those small sand-blasting cabinets too ... will look into that!

..until next time (which might be tomorrow) ...

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 29-08-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Not much done this week.

Rained all day yesterday, and the wind has been howling ever since, which resulted in a blackout since 6 this morning.

So I decided to do some basic CSI work and bag & tag some bits & pieces.

Only tools I had with me was a Leatherman, Phillips-Head screwie, and one of those window winder removal tool thingamajigs. Managed to get the passenger-side rear door off. (rear doors attached with screws, whilst the front doors use bolts). Drivers side was too hard with the small screwdriver I had.

Removed the trim as well. I have Mercedes parts on mine

Took the trim off all 4 doors, with 2 - front passenger and rear drivers-side - that will need replacing.

The door latch wouldn't come off on one, so I had to rip it out. Winder removal tool thingy was dodgy and very flexible. Would just bend rather than work properly to pop off the winders and one was way too stubborn.

... and the other one was already trashed. Attached to itself with wire

Slowly taking bits off and noticing the body & paint work in all the nooks & crannies is still in very good nick:

And since I like pics, here's a few more:

Trunk full of junk: Trim pieces, lights etc.

... and a back-seat with rear windscreen and a bunch of trim pieces:

Next weekend I'll hope to have the other rear door out, with both windows & mechanisms removed so the paint can be stripped.

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 05-09-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 PM

its a long road Russ. but it will feel like a blink when its done... mine took 12 months but that flew... she'll be a beauty when she's done

Gav
Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Just plodding along for now.

I was contemplating selling the Challenger to fund this - but now I've decided to try and keep both, so I'd say it would be close to 6 months at the least before I could afford to even pretend to consider getting this painted. 12 months would probably be more realistic.

Having said that, the longer I take, the more time I have to strip & fiddle with things, so I wouldn't be surprised if my "strip what body panels can be removed and just give the entire outside a repaint" idea blows out to something much more.

Just gonna have to take my time and conquer as much of the smaller stuff as I can, myself - which means I'll probably invest in a small sand-blasting cabinet sooner or later - and then I might teach myself, or get taught by someone in the know, how to weld.

... and then having that will probably lead to me doing more stupid sh*t

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 05-09-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 15-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Lightbulb

Bit of an update.

Dropped the bonnet, boot-lid, cowl panel & quarter extensions off at the body-shop last week for a quick make-over and a splash of Mt. Druitt Metallic.

Picked them up today. They look & feel great.

... then took the rest of the car down there to give them a look-over, get me a guesstimate, then book in a time to begin giving the rest of the exterior the same treatment.

Decided to video the epic journey!

Will be dropping it off in 2 weeks to get started.

Show Me How To Live

Old 15-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Name: Nate
Nice to see the some progress mate.

Love the Vid... I bet even in bits you love being behind the wheel.

Must give up women... Well more than 1 anyway.
Old 18-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
aw shame hey for next time, an old rag is a much better tool for those clips. you tuck it in under the handle and drag it in the direction the clip is facing. the rag grabs and pulls it out. 20 second job.

its actuallyl quite fun, im looking at all the bits that are the same between yours and mine we have the exact same dash! in fact i also have seen the same dash on a 63. i will bet fischer didnt bother making any different ones and just slapped them all with our cheap plastic style.

i painted mine in a nice 2k cream, and stuck a couple of chrome guages in, makes the dash really come alive. so maybe if you cant find the one you want, just hit it with some colour.

also you gotta be reallllllly careful if you are using the grinder/flapper on panels. i stretched one of my doors using it. got a couple of spots too hot while taking the paint off and it stared oil-canning. took a while the shrink it back again too.

but yeah, keep up the good work

Last edited by ari666; 18-10-2010 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: did a smiley face by accident, was meant to be unhappy face. lol
Old 18-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Yeah it is a shame. It was the only panel that was busted. Rest of the trim was tip-top.

Thanks for the clip tip. I'll give it a try, as that "special tool" I got is nearly useless.

They used that dash in the RHD's up until '69. With only here and South Africa (if I'm not mistaken) being their RHD exports, I don't think the production numbers warranted re-tooling a different RHD dash each year.

I've gotten into talks with another aussie '67 owner who wants to do the same with the dash. He has a mate going to the US and will bring one back with him. He's going to have the dash frame converted, then also have a few made up in fibreglass - as long as it happens, I'll be getting one from him. Fingers crossed.

The other plan is remove the current speedo panel, buy the '67 style gauges and custom fit them - maybe!

Show Me How To Live

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up

OK ... little more done this weekend.

Couple weeks ago I had removed & stripped the rear doors, so they were put back on:

Front doors & guards are now off. Busted the corner blackouts to get to access to 2 screws on each side. Wouldn't have needed to, except I couldn't remove the covers without taking off the bumper, but with my limited space & tools on hand, it was easier to just leave the bumper on for now.

It's all good though as I planned on replacing them with actual corner lens/lights.

Of all the nooks & crannies to get to, the only thing that was a pain in the arse was removing the aerial. Thought I'd try and save it instead of just cutting the wire, but you know how it goes - got it right down to the last turn of the wrench, and the wire pulled out. Bastard!

Ever tried reversing a yacht into a tight space with no side mirrors? Good times!

... and front doors have now been stripped:

Next week I'll have the front guards stripped, then all I need is to put them all back on, and drop the car at the body-shop to get the rest done and everything in 2pak primer.

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 07-11-2010 at 01:25 PM..