Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Name: Brendan
Sparky's 65 Impala Build

Hi Guys,

Im Sparky, and I have just joined the site. Im at the start of a build and I wanted to introduce you to Lucille, my 65 Impala 2 door hardtop project car.

I picked her up in Phoenix Arizona, and she has just arrived at the storage warehouse in LA. Will be loaded onto the container ship next week and will arrive here in Sydney mid - late January.

The vision is a Restomod to create a weekend warrior. Im going to shoehorn a LS1 and 4l60e into her. Convert to disc brakes, coilovers, mild cam and intake upgrade.

Ive already bought the LS1 from a Maloo up in QLD, and have been tearing it down over the last 2 weeks.

Im going to want lots and lots of help, as this is going to be a bit of a stretch of my skillset - but im willing to give it a red hot go.

If you are interested, I have set up a blog to keep track of my progress in more detail - but Ill try and cross post most stuff in here.
http://www.sparkys65impala.com

Wish me luck

Last edited by sparky; 10-12-2016 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: images not working

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Name: Chris
Brendan. Welcome. Looking forward to watching the build. None of your pics work though
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Brendan. Welcome. Looking forward to watching the build. None of your pics work though
Im just changed the hosting across to different site - so hopefully the pics are working now
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Name: Russ
Welcome to the forum.

Forum member Octane has just got a LS running in his 65 Impala. I'm also in the process of putting one in my 67 Impala.

Best of luck. The more pics, the better

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Welcome mate. Look forward to seeing the build.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:54 PM

Can I draw on your collective experience for what to expect from the company that is importing the car for me.

I picked a group in Melbourne purely based on my web search and their price (and a good feeling I got from the bloke on the phone). They are called Classic USA imports.

Im just getting a little bit nervous that he is giving me really vague updates.

The bloke is terrible communicator - only responds to every 3rd email and I really want some definitive information on when it is due to actually get loaded on a boat. It has been at their warehouse in LA for about a week now.

Has anyone dealt with these guys? and if not - is this pretty normal?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:16 PM

hmmmm - i just tried to post and it didn't seem to work. Let me try again.....

Can I draw on your collective experience with car importers. Im a little worried about the lack of detailed communication from the guys that I have put on, and I wanted to know if thats normal or if I should be worried.

I am using Classic USA imports (just found them online, good price and the guy was really good on the phone - so went with my gut). After an initial burst of communication, the bloke has been pretty slack with replies and seems to only give me really broad answers.

They organised the pick up of the car from me (from phoenix and the shipping to LA) and it is now sitting in their warehouse in LA. It has been there for about a week.

I have asked what happens next, and he just said "we will book the container and it gets shipped". I asked him how do I pay them, and he said "you will get an invoice"

Detailed responses aren't really his speciality by the looks of things.

So does this all sound pretty normal? has any one dealt with them before?
Am I getting stressed for no reason?

Thanks boys
Old 12-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
hmmmm - i just tried to post and it didn't seem to work. Let me try again.....

Can I draw on your collective experience with car importers. Im a little worried about the lack of detailed communication from the guys that I have put on, and I wanted to know if thats normal or if I should be worried.

I am using Classic USA imports (just found them online, good price and the guy was really good on the phone - so went with my gut). After an initial burst of communication, the bloke has been pretty slack with replies and seems to only give me really broad answers.

They organised the pick up of the car from me (from phoenix and the shipping to LA) and it is now sitting in their warehouse in LA. It has been there for about a week.

I have asked what happens next, and he just said "we will book the container and it gets shipped". I asked him how do I pay them, and he said "you will get an invoice"

Detailed responses aren't really his speciality by the looks of things.

So does this all sound pretty normal? has any one dealt with them before?
Am I getting stressed for no reason?

Thanks boys
So you probably don't want to hear my story as its probably the "worst-case"scenario (my car ended up in the middle of the LA Port disputes which was the main cause of my pain) but if there is any advice I can provide it is too quickly accept the "Worst-case" timeline as your plan and in the case that it happens quicker then just count yourself as one of the lucky ones.

My experience was quite frustrating for the same reasons you have noted above however I was the importer (I didn't use a broker), generally nothing happens fast with an import and be ready to accept responses like "the car didn't make the shipment or the car wasn't loaded as planned"

Its also worth adding that America and Australia have very different definitions of the words "Quickly, Priority, Urgency and Communication". The positive thing to take away is that its normal for it to take weeks to get a car on a boat and the communication is generally "average".

On that note, when it comes to communicating my advice is to whack $30 credit on Skype, stay up late and get on the phone once or twice a week when you are looking for updates. Its also worth doing a bit of web research on your importer and if you feel things are heading south then increase the heat fast so you can act on it quickly if needed.

At the end of the day, despite the pain and the delays my car arrived in untouched condition so it was worth it in the end!

Hope this helps and provides a bit of comfort, I know its a nerve racking process
Old 12-12-2016, 02:32 PM

Name: Darren
Hi Brendan welcome to the forum.

This may set your mind at ease and it's a thread from this forum.

I take it that this is the same guy.

http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=12303
Old 12-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks boys - I ended up seeing that thread after I posted.

I'm pretty sure that it's just first time importers nerves. The bloke probably gets fed up with answering the same questions over and over again.

Everything has run the way that it should have so far, I was just making sure that I hadn't picked a dodgy company by accident. All the other feedback looks like they are great at what they do - just a bit quiet on the old communication front.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

On other news - my 4l60e trans is getting shipped up from Melbourne today. Should be here next week - I'll post some pics when it gets in.
Old 16-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Hey - has anyone got any recommendations for engine mount gear and cross-members for the LS Swap??

I stumbled across a company called BRP Hotrods in Georgia USA. Looks like they do specific kits made specifically for dropping a LSX into a 65 impala (well that's one of many many kits they make). I've watched a couple of YouTube videos with guys using their gear and it looks really really impressive - I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience?

It looks like they make heaps of stuff specific for the swap, so if they are any good - I might end up getting quite a few things from them.
Old 16-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Name: Philip
Brendon

Im doing the exact conversion over the Christmas break on the same vehicle.

All the goodies arrived yesterday so its just in time for Xmas. I purchased the conversion kit from LSx, opened a few of the boxes and the mounts, crossmember etc look very well made and very well labeled so it is almost impossible to mount anything upside down or on the wrong side, I also purchased the Headman Headers of them which held up the entire order as there was a 3 week delay due to supply.
No doubt i about a month I will be able to give my verdict on fitment.

VW Golf R
Toyota Hilux
Old 16-12-2016, 07:54 PM

Chur bro

Happy to compare notes. You are going to be well ahead of me - I dont get the car until after xmas. It has only just been loaded into the container in LA - so most likely end Jan.

Shame you arent local - we could have swapped parts and split shipping costs etc.
Old 16-12-2016, 08:54 PM

Name: Rowan
Welcome, I look forward to the build, from the limited picks does not look like much rust in it. Have you decided on an exterior colour?
Old 17-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L88racer View Post
Welcome, I look forward to the build, from the limited picks does not look like much rust in it. Have you decided on an exterior colour?
Ill put up a heap of more pics when she arrives. I got a call from Luke at classic US imports on Thursday, and he told me that the container was all loaded and on the dock ready for pick up. By today, she is probably on the boat and potentially on the way already.

The plan is to go for a dark gunmetal grey or a metallic charcoal. Im also going to either go for a satin finish instead of the chrome or black out all the chrome.

Thats the house of Kolor Galaxy Gray

Or the same colour in fine, with a little less black in the base.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Oh - and according to "Saul" (the guy in Phoenix that sold me the car) there is only a little surface rust. Nothing requiring actual repair.

There is a dent on the passenger side door and there are some booger welds in the trunk that need to be smoothed out and cleaned up - but apart from that it should be in really good shape. I bought it without seeing it, and can only go off the conversations that we had and the photos that he sent - but given the price, the risk wasn't too high so I went for it.