Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22-10-2016, 11:27 PM

Name: Russ
Tanks Inc PA-4 - In-tank fuel pump install for LS swap

So ... I've put 6.0L (L76) into my '67 Impala.

LS swaps, or even carb-to-EFI conversions, are becoming a lot more appealing to a lot of folks, yet there's not a lot of posts on the subject here ... so I thought I'd do I a quick run-through of the direction I took when it came to upgrading the fuel system.

I was adamant about running an external pump simply because it initially seemed like the easier option, but then I considered the costs of all the extra AN fittings required: fuel line to pre-filter, pre-filter to outlet hose, outlet hose to pump, pump to hose, hose to post filter, post filter to remaining fuel line - then I still had to modify the tank for a return line, and the fittings needed for the return line. That's easily $200+ in fittings, and that's not taking into account the cost of the pump and filters.

I looked at the cost of the Tank Inc PA-4 in-tank system, and considering I had to remove the old tank to do a repair, it became the wiser choice. Costs difference was acceptable, and I get the benefit of an internal reservoir.

Tanks Inc PA-4 - Pumps 250 litres per hour. Good for 630hp. More than enough for my stock L76.

With the tank out, I removed the paint so I could do a repair.

The tank has always had a slight weeping leak from the base of the filler neck, so I had that area soldered, and the tank dipped to clean the inside.

Once cleaned, I hit it with some Eastwood Tank Tone. The stuff looks good. Also did the tank straps.

Now onto the pump install. I chose the front left corner. Deepest part of the pan, with the biggest flat spot.

Marked and drilled the main and mounting holes ...

Minimal hammer & dolly work required for the ring to sit flat

FYI for any '67 GM B-Body owner. The minimal tank depth for this Tanks Inc kit is 6". My Impala tank in this spot is right at 6.5". Just enough

... then had the ring tack-welded in place

Action shot!

Got the pump and reservoir kit cut to length and assembled.

As you can see, not a lot of room between the pump outlet and barbed fitting. This is why there's a 6" minimum tank depth.

Everything is in, buttoned up, and ready to install.

Top of tank prepped for fitment. Used Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket to seal the gasket to both the base of the pump housing, and the top of the tank.

Outlets sit 20mm above the highest point of the tank. I purchased some 3M adhesive back rubber strips to help keep this part from contacting the floor of the vehicle. Tanks Inc do sell a section that can be welded in to give you clearance, but with my tank being this shallow, it wouldn't have helped due to the minimum required depth for this particular kit.

All complete!

Here's a shot of the inside. It sits about 2mm off the floor. When I measured and cut, I didn't allow for the thickness of the gasket. Shouldn't be an issue.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 23-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Name: Chris
great post Russ...I've been looking at the Aeromotive Phantom in-Tank for when I EFI convert the Buick
Old 23-10-2016, 12:07 PM

Yeah I looked at the Phantom setup, and really liked it, but at twice the price of the Tanks Inc gear, I couldn't justify it.

The Phantom does allow for a shallower tank though. I think minimum requirement is 5.5".

Show Me How To Live

Old 23-10-2016, 05:35 PM

Name: Vic
Thanks for posting Russ.

I love PRIUS drivers, they are saving all that petrol for me to use in my V8's :
Old 24-10-2016, 06:38 PM

Good stuff, I hope I can become one of the LS conversion crowd one day.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 25-10-2016, 03:46 AM

Name: Philip
Great detailed writeup but unfortunately 2 weeks too late as I have already ordered the complete LS Tank. Just about to embark on the same LS Conversion on my 65 Impala so am waiting for all motor and mods all to arrive from the states, hopefully it will be installed and cruising prior to Christmas. Where are you thinking of mounting the ECM and Control Harness , can it be mounted up under the dash?
VW Golf R
Toyota Hilux
Old 25-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicamaro View Post
Great detailed writeup but unfortunately 2 weeks too late as I have already ordered the complete LS Tank. Just about to embark on the same LS Conversion on my 65 Impala so am waiting for all motor and mods all to arrive from the states, hopefully it will be installed and cruising prior to Christmas. Where are you thinking of mounting the ECM and Control Harness , can it be mounted up under the dash?
I would have bought one of their pre-made EFI-ready tanks, but, as with almost everything aftermarket for the full-size, they stop at 1966.

The only problem I had with my swap so far is exhaust manifolds, but that's because mine is RHD. You can get sets for LHD that will fit.

I'll be doing a full write-up soon, what works, what didn't, direct-fit parts that aren't, etc. Probably have it up by the weekend.

Show Me How To Live

Old 26-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Name: stuart
Just put the aeromotive phantom in mine great kit easy to assemble.Works a treat no surging even at very low fuel level.
Old 26-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
Just put the aeromotive phantom in mine great kit easy to assemble.Works a treat no surging even at very low fuel level.
Yeah I really liked their kit, but it was too expensive. I've been unemployed for 3 months, so I need to pinch pennies at every possible turn.

Will be a while before mines driving, but by all accounts this Tanks Inc kit is solid. Yet to hear of troubles.

Show Me How To Live

Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM

Name: Mike
I've had the aeromotive stealth in the Pontiac no issues.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Name: Steve
Nice work Russ. That Tank Tone looks like a great finish..
Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Nice work Russ. That Tank Tone looks like a great finish..
Cheers.

The photos make the Tank Tone look better than it is. It's not bad stuff, but I had to paint it outdoors in the wind. Nowhere near as good coverage as it should have gotten.

Wouldn't mind giving the tank another hit before it gets installed.

Show Me How To Live

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM

Name: Darren
Im in the same boat mate, just started an ls swap the lost job, missus, house the lot.
Thanks for the write up, i was gunna do the complete tanks inc swap in my nova but this looks like a cheaper option for me
Old 25-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Just thought I'd posdt an update for those considering this swap.

The supplied pump in this kit - a Walbro GSS-340 - is loud as f*ck. I can hear the pump from 30 metres away, even with the car running.

The tank has only been 1/4 full, so it may quieten with a full tank, but still - very loud. Be warned.

Show Me How To Live

Old 25-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Name: Chris
Can't be as bad as my Carter right under the passenger footwell, I can hear that over cranking Highway to Hell, but thanks for the heads up....I'm still going the phantom