Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 29-09-2016, 06:10 PM

Name: Darren
Quote:
The worry about running harnesses without a cage is that if some how it ended up on it's roof, the harness doesn't allow for the torso and head to move sideways and that won't end well.
Interesting that you mention this as I have read than in some of the club level racing codes in the states they won't let you run a harness without a roll bar for that exact reason. Once you do take it to the cage and bar level, it's probably a good time to start thinking about some type of HANS device too.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-09-2016, 06:58 PM

Name: Justin
Anyone heard any feedback on the RideTech Tiger bolt-in cages? Could be a good alternative
Old 29-09-2016, 07:52 PM

I like your positive attitude (not sure I would be so positive )
Good luck with your bigger and better rebuild.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 29-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 69 View Post
Anyone heard any feedback on the RideTech Tiger bolt-in cages? Could be a good alternative
They are not recognized by any sanctioning body, here or in the States.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Interesting that you mention this as I have read than in some of the club level racing codes in the states they won't let you run a harness without a roll bar for that exact reason. Once you do take it to the cage and bar level, it's probably a good time to start thinking about some type of HANS device too.
Yep, I have one.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:09 PM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonner View Post
They are not recognized by any sanctioning body, here or in the States.
Damn! I just cut the cage out of mine as it was a weld in job and wasn't the best quality....I was also looking at the Ridetech Tigercages as they look like a top unit but pointless if they aren't recognised.... I just checked their site and under Sanctioning body certified they state "Pending - In progress" so may be worth dropping them an email

My only advice is that you first need to decide "what is the cars primary purpose" and then go from there, I took the cage out of mine as it basically rendered the backseats useless and also meant I couldn't fit lap sash belts in, but the main purpose of my car is to get it out and drive it on the street with the kids, at cruises etc, and will make the odd racing appearance, however if your looking to go full race spec just make sure you fully research where the rules cross over between DoT and the relevant certifying body as a lot of the time they are completely opposing rules as I learnt in a previous build. :\

With the cage, my only advice here is to go with a bolt in cage so you can always get it out, the welded in one was a serious b!tch to get out

Last edited by zappa; 01-10-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Damn! I just cut the cage out of mine as it was a weld in job and wasn't the best quality....I was also looking at the Ridetech Tigercages as they look like a top unit but pointless if they aren't recognised.... I just checked their site and under Sanctioning body certified they state "Pending - In progress" so may be worth dropping them an email

My only advice is that you first need to decide "what is the cars primary purpose" and then go from there, I took the cage out of mine as it basically rendered the backseats useless and also meant I couldn't fit lap sash belts in, but the main purpose of my car is to get it out and drive it on the street with the kids, at cruises etc, and will make the odd racing appearance, however if your looking to go full race spec just make sure you fully research where the rules cross over between DoT and the relevant certifying body as a lot of the time they are completely opposing rules as I learnt in a previous build. :\

With the cage, my only advice here is to go with a bolt in cage so you can always get it out, the welded in one was a serious b!tch to get out
That has been pending since they introduced it.

If you are going to track a car, you need a cage! A situation is more likely to happen to somebody with little experience and a accident won't discriminate between someone who tracks all the time versus on the odd occasion, it's just bloody dangerous.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonner View Post
That has been pending since they introduced it.

If you are going to track a car, you need a cage! A situation is more likely to happen to somebody with little experience and a accident won't discriminate between someone who tracks all the time versus on the odd occasion, it's just bloody dangerous.
I totally agree Greg, unfortunately having crashed a car or two I also wouldn't race without one however I think it's also about finding a balance between the street + track so you don't end up with a car that will cop a sticker once and require massive change before it can be relicensed hence I'm looking at a bolt in for mine....are u aware of any bolt-ins that are certified?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 AM

Name: graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
I totally agree Greg, unfortunately having crashed a car or two I also wouldn't race without one however I think it's also about finding a balance between the street + track so you don't end up with a car that will cop a sticker once and require massive change before it can be relicensed hence I'm looking at a bolt in for mine....are u aware of any bolt-ins that are certified?
bad luck bending the car Sean.
I found this on the andra site, it might help some people...

http://www.andra.com.au/technical/bu...available.html
1967 Pontiac Firebird-home built 470 Pontiac-turbo 400-3500 conv-9inch 3:55 - 11:06 @ 125:10 mph.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Only spotted this the other week and it sucks to see what has happened. Most people would walk away from it for a good while. Looking forward to the rebuild, will be following this one.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 PM

Name: Paul
These guys do all sorts of kits. Surely they fabricate a cage for any car.
http://www.agi-precision.com.au/roll-cages/
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 PM

Man that sucks Sean. Glad it didn't spin you round for a hit in the rear too.

Just remember with regards to putting a cage in, you will have to run padding every time you drive it without a helmet. Hit your head on the cage in a crash on the street and your as good as dead. I want to be able to go cruising with family and friends etc and can't do that with a cage.

I originally wanted to do track/hillclimb etc with mine when it's finished but not really that interested anymore. Personally I think a dedicated track car is the way to go. Have all the safety you want with no compromise.

Just my 2 cents. Tell me to bugger off if you like!!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM

Name: Chris
Sorry to see Sean, if you need any help or any parts that I might have, give me a call

Cheers Chris

"It's not a hobby, it's an addiction"
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Name: Sean
Good discussion about cages guys. From what's been said here, I'm most likely I'll put a back-half in with removal side-bars. To be decided whether it's going to be weld-in or bolt-in. Will need to read some ASSA and ANDRA spec info. If I have to remove the rear seat, then I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 HQ View Post
Just remember with regards to putting a cage in, you will have to run padding every time you drive it without a helmet. Hit your head on the cage in a crash on the street and your as good as dead. I want to be able to go cruising with family and friends etc and can't do that with a cage.

I originally wanted to do track/hillclimb etc with mine when it's finished but not really that interested anymore. Personally I think a dedicated track car is the way to go. Have all the safety you want with no compromise.

Just my 2 cents. Tell me to bugger off if you like!!
Luke

I think a dedicated track car would make sense if I had the space to store. My other problem with a dedicated track car is the need for a tow car and trailer, neither of which I have at the moment. When you're only doing 6 or so events a year, it makes the events even more costly. I've driven my car to and from every race event I've competed in... except not driving home last week

Like any build, there are going to be compromises. I want to build a car that I can cruise in every weekend and do a handful of circuit and drag events in each year. If I have to remove the rear seat for this to happen, so be it. I drive my car on my own 90% of the time(I definitely have friends, trust me), so not going to lose a lot by removing the rear seat.

My $.02 is that there is no point spending big $ on suspension, brakes and wheel and tyres that are never going to be used in anger. I haven't got a wild, blown LS powered Corolla to flog around for fun though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68cmaro View Post
Sorry to see Sean, if you need any help or any parts that I might have, give me a call

Cheers Chris
Thanks Chris. Will be in touch over the next couple of months. Still need to do a full assessment on the car to figure out what I need, but at this stage it looks like fenders forward is all cactus...apart from my chevy badge which survived

11.015 @ 111mph
Old 03-10-2016, 01:58 PM

Worst nightmare.

Do you know Justin from Awol over there? He may be able to help with the Speedtech Subframe. I have a swaybar here for their subframe if you need to save a little $$. Technically they still own it as they sent me the wrong one, but it may help in your plight.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joverell View Post
Do you know Justin from Awol over there? He may be able to help with the Speedtech Subframe. I have a swaybar here for their subframe if you need to save a little $$. Technically they still own it as they sent me the wrong one, but it may help in your plight.
He knows me well, , Sean's always been a great supporter of ApocaLaps, not to mention a great guy all round, so when the time to rebuild comes we (AWOL) will walk the extra mile to help out where possible