Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Name: Rodney
I am still not entirely sure what is going on, I went racing yesterday between 12:30 and 2:00 pm yesterday with the GCMCA and we had a very strong headwind that made it very interesting in the deep end moving the car around. I ran a best time of 12.0 and a fastest run @ 114Mph. Quite happy with it under the conditions it ran. I would have liked to stay for the test and tune last night as I am positive it would of had a high 11 in it again but my alternator is not charging when the car is at operating temperature which I discovered late yesterday afternoon and driving the 100 klm trip home with the lights on I very much doubt I would have got home as I flattened 1 battery on the trip up and racing (I brought a spare brand new fully charged battery with me as the in laws have the Century battery agency).

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

http://youtu.be/z681Khb6E_c
Some idea of the headwind here
and in car footage here.

http://youtu.be/WcwzDv8hnAA

Last edited by 69ISH; 04-09-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Name: Steve
Any of the symptoms rearing their heads again?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Any of the symptoms rearing their heads again?
One of the runs I edited out the burnout, I couldn't keep it running after the burnout and stalled it on the line with black smoke pouring out of the shaker and every burnout had a massive flat spot when getting on it, basically had to feather the accelerator.
If you watch the run that I had the white commodore fly past me down the deep end it was missing towards the top of 1st gear, now this only happened on 2 runs and I feel that my battery may have been getting low on charge which could have caused this, alternator is not charging once it gets to operating temperature but I took a spare battery with me.
I am positive my tacho is out as well I had quicker times changing at around 5200 rpm than at 5500 rpm and previously I would change at 6200 rpm.
I have noticed that when changing gear the revs would still be just under 5000 rpm just after the upshift where it use to be around 4000 rpm.

The stall converter was for the 347 I had in there which when at around 80 kph and you stood on it, it would flare to 3300 rpm approx but with the 408 it would flare to 4000 rpm approx.
Old 15-10-2016, 04:24 PM

I can not workout what the issue is.
With my Quickfuel Blackdiamond 830
I have run a hose directly from mechanical pump to pick up.
I have temporarily fitted a electric fuel pump at the front of the car and used a lawn mower fuel can to draw fuel from eliminating fuel hose/lines and pick up (Not road tested just brought revs up in garage until aerates). I have had 2 mechanical pimps and 1 electric pump. I have removed all fuel filters. I have a regulator which I have tried varying pressures from 4 Psi to 7 Psi. I have changed the needle and seats from .130" to .150" on mechanical pump.

and

I have also tried using a 650 Holley,750 Speed Demon, 750 Holley on the mechanical pumps and they have aerated as well.

I think it comes better and then try another pull and it all goes to **** again. Once the revs get above 5000 rpm it just starts aerating and the more revs the more it aerates then it spits fuel out of the vent tubes sends the carby rich and it dies in the ass. 5400 rpm is the max I can seem to rev it to.
any ideas before I burn it.
Old 15-10-2016, 04:43 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ISH View Post
I can not workout what the issue is.
With my Quickfuel Blackdiamond 830
I have run a hose directly from mechanical pump to pick up.
I have temporarily fitted a electric fuel pump at the front of the car and used a lawn mower fuel can to draw fuel from eliminating fuel hose/lines and pick up (Not road tested just brought revs up in garage until aerates). I have had 2 mechanical pimps and 1 electric pump. I have removed all fuel filters. I have a regulator which I have tried varying pressures from 4 Psi to 7 Psi. I have changed the needle and seats from .130" to .150" on mechanical pump.

and

I have also tried using a 650 Holley,750 Speed Demon, 750 Holley on the mechanical pumps and they have aerated as well.

I think it comes better and then try another pull and it all goes to **** again. Once the revs get above 5000 rpm it just starts aerating and the more revs the more it aerates then it spits fuel out of the vent tubes sends the carby rich and it dies in the ass. 5400 rpm is the max I can seem to rev it to.
any ideas before I burn it.
It's Demons, get it exorcised
Old 15-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Name: shane
I will repeat this just one more time

I had very similar problems with mine, I had a reg and gauge but had fuel p1ssing out of the vent tubes, I thought it was a faulty reg, so changed that and ignored advise to run a return line
fitting a new reg didn't fix the issue and I had a problem that ended up causing a big engine fire due to fuel pouring out of vent tubes
after I had my car repaired I fitted a return line and the problem is now 100% fixed

I hope you too don't learn the hard way
Old 17-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffer View Post
I will repeat this just one more time

I had very similar problems with mine, I had a reg and gauge but had fuel p1ssing out of the vent tubes, I thought it was a faulty reg, so changed that and ignored advise to run a return line
fitting a new reg didn't fix the issue and I had a problem that ended up causing a big engine fire due to fuel pouring out of vent tubes
after I had my car repaired I fitted a return line and the problem is now 100% fixed

I hope you too don't learn the hard way

I have put it all back together with the mechanical pump, standard holley regulator but left the larger needle and seats and will be changing gear at 5000rpm until I can get it sorted. I am going to place for a set of these bottom feed needle and seats.
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=576
Old 18-10-2016, 04:36 PM

I stuffed up the link to the needle and seats was meant to be this one. They are a bottom feed needle and seat which are meant to drastically reduce aeration, I have not yet ordered as I am waiting on a response on their shipping cost as it is $98US on the website which seems excessive for a pair of needle and seats.
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=578
Old 18-10-2016, 05:34 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
I stuffed up the link to the needle and seats was meant to be this one. They are a bottom feed needle and seat which are meant to drastically reduce aeration, I have not yet ordered as I am waiting on a response on their shipping cost as it is $98US on the website which seems excessive for a pair of needle and seats.
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=578
They're good to deal with and should back to you pretty quick, probably cost you around $30-35. Maybe order other gear from them, then at least you get more for your postage dollar
Old 19-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Name: Roger
To back up Guffer's advice we had another BBC, big cube, strong HP with what sounds like similar symptoms. After lots of fiddling with carb and fuel regs etc, finally fixed it with return line system, with reg after carb. No problem since and found another 60+ hp on latest dyno run. I have attached a pic off web how it is set up. There are lots of guys using this system that have fixed issues.

Name:  FuelFlowDiagram02a1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  48.9 KB

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 19-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ls1 View Post
To back up Guffer's advice we had another BBC, big cube, strong HP with what sounds like similar symptoms. After lots of fiddling with carb and fuel regs etc, finally fixed it with return line system, with reg after carb. No problem since and found another 60+ hp on latest dyno run. I have attached a pic off web how it is set up. There are lots of guys using this system that have fixed issues.

Attachment 33508
Ok, you have me intrigued, how does this differentiate besides requiring a different style of regulator again from having the regulator before the carby if they both regulate 6 psi at the carby?
Old 19-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Name: Phil
It's the difference between pressure and volume the way I see it. Return line allows excess volume of fuel somewhere to go other than thru carby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If in doubt, go flat out.
Old 19-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's the difference between pressure and volume the way I see it. Return line allows excess volume of fuel somewhere to go other than thru carby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand running a return line as I already tried that but I don't understand the reasoning in placing the regulator after the Carby rather than the usual positioning before the Carby.
Old 19-10-2016, 02:00 PM

Name: Roger
Quote:
Ok, you have me intrigued, how does this differentiate besides requiring a different style of regulator again from having the regulator before the carby if they both regulate 6 psi at the carby?
My understanding is that
A) you have cooler fuel at carb as there is no deadhead to hold fuel and let it heat. The fuel just continues to circulate.
B) it always has 6 psi (or whatever you set reg to) at carb, as the reg will just release fuel to return. The reg doesn't control fuel pressure after it leaves reg, so who knows what you have between reg and needle if reg is in front of carb, all you know is you have 6 psi at reg. Hope that makes sense.

It took me awhile to get, but I've seen it in action and it works.

Here are some older links that may help explain
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198291

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed