Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Efi

I know a few of you already have rero fit EFi and I would really like to go down this path one day.
Just reading an article on all the "new" EFI kits available now.

I thought this table was pretty good to show a comparison of the systems available.

http://image.superchevy.com/f/102114...-breakdown.jpg

Here's a link to the article;
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-market-today/

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 30-03-2016, 05:28 PM

Name: Paul
Would love to go EFI but hard to justify the cost. By the time you do the pump, plumbing and EFI you would be close to $3500-$4000 AU$.
Its getting up there.
Old 30-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Name: Phil
I think that's why the FITech system with the additional "command centre" looks attractive.

Phil

If in doubt, go flat out.
Old 31-03-2016, 11:56 PM

Name: Kris
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDZ-28 View Post
Would love to go EFI but hard to justify the cost. By the time you do the pump, plumbing and EFI you would be close to $3500-$4000 AU$.
Its getting up there.
In parts or parts + labour?

I can tell you it can be done for ~$2k in parts if you're willing to get your hands dirty and learn the ins/out of it all and tune it yourself.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Name: Andy
I had started my own EFI project by making my own throttle body. Time and now the advent of the cheaper units from Fitech and the soon to be Holley offering have stalled the project.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Still be nice to use something you made yourself.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisr View Post
In parts or parts + labour?

I can tell you it can be done for ~$2k in parts if you're willing to get your hands dirty and learn the ins/out of it all and tune it yourself.
maybe . I recently fitted up a Holley Terminator system , that kit is US2000 alone . Let alone fuel system . Customer bought a new tank set up with internal pump for efi , not sure of cost . But it is a 1957 Corvette . Plus you need all lines and AN fittings plus regulator .
Now looking at Summit all the EFI conversion kits are this sort of price and upwards . And few have the fuel system at this price . You also may need to modify your tank , more cost .
I want to fit a good system with room to grow and good backup .
your results may vary .

Tex
Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Name: Darren
Fitech certainly sets a new price benchmark, but looking at it with Tex's comments in mind, you would want at least the Power Adder 600 model. I've been thinking about the Go Street 400 model based on the close to carburettor price and current thoughts of running it on a relatively mild 318 Mopar engine, probably ideal for this but maybe a bit limiting if any future upgrades came into play.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 AM

Name: Denton
I have the Holley terminator system and it can get expensive but I went down the do it once route with PTFE lines, etc. I also just watched a video where a company in the states replaced the stock Terminator injectors with bigger injectors and additional fuel delivery capacity to stretch well beyond the 600Hp range. Laptop tuned through the Holley ECU. Fitech looks interesting but I'll probably go the Holley Sniper package on the Roadrunners 383.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Name: Neil
I don't know if going injection is that much more expensive than the traditional carby route? especially on an engine making descent horse power. if you add up the cost of a brand new carby, fuel log, regulator, fuel pump ect. it doesn't take long to add up, then add the cost of the extra jets, gaskets and power valves that you need to tune the carb to the engine I think the cost difference would be very little. the big disadvantage with the EFI systems is you have to buy everything at once while most carby systems you can upgrade bits one at a time, helping hide the true cost.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Name: Sean
the trigger for me going to EFI was when I spent $400 on a dyno tuning session with the carb and it didn't make any improvements. Not saying that a carb wouldn't work in my application, but I wasn't willing to keep handing over money until I found a tuner who could sort it all out.

I ended up spending about $2500 on my fuel system, including teflon lined braided lines. Fuel system definitely needs to be considered in the cost.

Am I glad i went EFI? Yes

11.015 @ 111mph
Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booah View Post
I have the Holley terminator system and it can get expensive but I went down the do it once route with PTFE lines, etc. I also just watched a video where a company in the states replaced the stock Terminator injectors with bigger injectors and additional fuel delivery capacity to stretch well beyond the 600Hp range. Laptop tuned through the Holley ECU. Fitech looks interesting but I'll probably go the Holley Sniper package on the Roadrunners 383.
Booah , that is why i went Terminator . You only need to upgrade injectors and maybe pump . The ecu is happy to run it . As it is not many are going to have north of 600hp so not a big worry .The sniper is interesting , no remote e c u to mount is the only gain . But i do worry about too many items integrated together . Sometimes you have to replace all the unit if it has a partial failure .
For me i am happy with my carb 😉 . But i do race it .
KISS principal for me

Tex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151208_120938.jpg (181.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by tex013; 02-04-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Old 04-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Name: Peter
I can't be sure what I plan to do once this old 327 kicks up its heels and carks it...if it ever does. But if it does, I would have to rethink whether I want to whack a later model efi Ford in there or stay with Chevy. If I change the engine, either way, it's gonna have efi. It is just that the little 327 sits in that Ford engine bay so beautifully!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
I can't be sure what I plan to do once this old 327 kicks up its heels and carks it...if it ever does. But if it does, I would have to rethink whether I want to whack a later model efi Ford in there or stay with Chevy. If I change the engine, either way, it's gonna have efi. It is just that the little 327 sits in that Ford engine bay so beautifully!
Definately x2. If the engine dies will be replacing it with a later model ford engine. Bring on the wrecked mustangs I can see a coyote in my future.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 AM

Name: Darren
I've been thinking about the prospect of using something like the Fitech system across multiple vehicles, I have a couple of weekend toys so if you had the fuel systems sorted and an O2 senor in each vehicle then you could plug and play, maybe with the help of a couple of saved tunes that could be interchanged.