Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 25-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Name: Allan
Mate these nova's are just camaro's ha. here I go again, a knotted wire wheel in a drill will rip most of that scale up and than a flapper wheel in an angle grinder Then you can see what you have, then Por15 metal ready the finished job

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyper View Post
Mate these nova's are just camaro's ha. here I go again, a knotted wire wheel in a drill will rip most of that scale up and than a flapper wheel in an angle grinder Then you can see what you have, then Por15 metal ready the finished job
Thanks Allan. I am going to ask you a lot of questions over the next couple of months if you are up for it? Thanks

I just bought a Bossweld Treo welder and set it up yesterday for MIG. Its not the best brand but I must say that the performance is smooth. I tested it doing a little stitching and it performed very well.

70 Chevy Nova
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=10395

Last edited by 70Nova; 25-12-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Old 25-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Used a cutting wheel to put a 1mm gap in a piece of scrap and tried the stitch. I think I just need to up the gas rate a little, other than that I would be pleased with this on the hidden panels. What should my gas be set at for MIG? I have Argon\CO2 mix.

Name:  P1060422.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  293.3 KB

70 Chevy Nova
Old 25-12-2013, 06:19 PM

I run gas at 10 it's not unusual with a gap to go from side to side to fill the gap with weld if the power controll is 1 to 5 set it on 2 and wire on 2 if it spits. It's the wire speed move it back or forward until it sounds smooth with a crisp crack. It's real hard to explain it mate. I see nothing wrong with what you have done on that panel
Old 25-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Name: Ash
Gas looks fine mate. In all honestly, if i were you I would set it as low as you can get it as it is bloody expensive and you really don't need it full bore anyway.

As for the gap, well, some may say differently, but I would butt the panels together instead if having a gap. If you are inexperienced then you will chuck more heat in than necessary chasing that gap and end up buckling your panels.

As I said, others may say different, but try butting the panels up and then weld, you will notice a difference.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Another trick I have learnt over the years when tacking thin sections is to lay the torch as flat as you can and run the wire over the top of it if you know what I mean......

This way the wire hits one edge and as it melts if catches the other edge and providing a flatter and more consistent tack area.
Old 26-12-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU367 View Post
Gas looks fine mate. In all honestly, if i were you I would set it as low as you can get it as it is bloody expensive and you really don't need it full bore anyway.

As for the gap, well, some may say differently, but I would butt the panels together instead if having a gap. If you are inexperienced then you will chuck more heat in than necessary chasing that gap and end up buckling your panels.

As I said, others may say different, but try butting the panels up and then weld, you will notice a difference.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Another trick I have learnt over the years when tacking thin sections is to lay the torch as flat as you can and run the wire over the top of it if you know what I mean......

This way the wire hits one edge and as it melts if catches the other edge and providing a flatter and more consistent tack area.
Ash is right In all honesty I myself set my gas till I can just hear it but I wanted to tell you what the experts say. But you can experiment. If you need a gap then ok but as Ash says when welding body steel together I also butt it up close together

Last edited by skyper; 26-12-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Old 26-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyper View Post
Ash is right In all honesty I myself set my gas till I can just hear it but I wanted to tell you what the experts say. But you can experiment. If you need a gap then ok but as Ash says when welding body steel together I also butt it up close together
Ok, so if I butt them together I just need to make sure that I get enough penertration through the joint. I have a couple of sheets of .95 Zinc coated so I will cut some small pieces and have a bit of a practice.

Please keep the info coming as I go. Been a long time (25 years) since I finished my engineering apprentceship. Only really Arc welded 4mm steel since then, apart from blowing the crap out of everything with a cheap chinese MIG.

Ash, do you mind me asking what area of Brisbane you are located in?

70 Chevy Nova
Old 26-12-2013, 07:51 PM

OH!! Didn't even realise you were a brissie boy.

I am northside, I live near Strathpine. What about you mate?

Btw, won't take much to get peno on .9 stuff man. Butt it togetherr and see how you go. Also, turn your gas down for economy.
Old 26-12-2013, 10:04 PM

West side, Anstead.

Did I see that you had a Camaro in one of the build threads?

70 Chevy Nova
Old 27-12-2013, 12:20 AM

Yeah mate, I have a 67.

Not sure where anstead is, will look it up.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 AM

Name: Tim
Hey 70Nova, great seeing this thread and you continuing the work....keep posting!! I am also a Nova nut and have a restomod '68, look forward to seeing this thing on the road eventually!!! And hooking up for a cruise!!! I'm North Brissy based....
Old 27-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Slowly getting there. Built a table top today to bash stuff against and mount my vice on. Used the new welder and gasless for this.

The welder is a Bossweld Treo that comes in at ~$1000. Jeez its great to use a quality tool instead of the old Chinese POS I used to have.

Still got a bit of practice for the light body stuff by the looks of it!!!

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  149.1 KB
Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  92.5 KB
Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  105.5 KB
Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  141.8 KB
Name:  photo 8.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  130.2 KB

70 Chevy Nova
Old 28-05-2014, 01:56 AM

Name: Tim
Good to see you moving along again....!!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Got a bit done today. Jeez these old girls don't let their secrets up easily huh? Everything was well and truly stuck and needed lots of grunt to get them moving. Still gotta get the frame off but nearly at a point where it can be blasted to reveal more horrors! Used a good deal of WD40 on the frame bolts.

Pasenger footwell. I have a patch panel coming for this and the firewall extension
Name:  P1060988.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  304.5 KB

Drivers footwell. Ditto as last
Name:  P1060989.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  306.9 KB

Rear of truck. Will patch once blasted
Name:  P1060991.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  270.4 KB

Front of trunk. I have new wheel wells for this so will get a good look when I do them
Name:  P1060992.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  334.9 KB

This is the same both sides
Name:  P1060993.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  310.3 KB

Underneath doesnt seem to bad but will know after blasting
Name:  P1060998.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  312.3 KB

Dam I'm tired

70 Chevy Nova

Last edited by 70Nova; 11-08-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 AM

Name: RUSS
Blasting will sort the good , the bad, and the down right ugly...
Good luck