Go Back   US MUSCLE Regional Events Australian Capital Territory
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Summernats 2014

I went, I won't be back.

It was better a few years ago, well by better I mean the cars were of a higher standard. Today, just row after row of glorified taxi's.

The cars cruising the circuit went pretty much like this,

Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Falcon,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Torana,
Chev,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Buick,
Sigma,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Some random hot rod,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,

There you have it, if you didn't go, I pretty much summed it up for you.

On the way out passed a really nice SLR Torana with a stoved in front, probably from getting too excited on the cruise, then passed a Commodore with similar damage on the Hume and a Cortina likewise damaged.

If you are amongst that 5% of decent, car loving enthusiasts that do the right thing then the rest of this post does not apply to you.

The entire event, which is apparently trying to clean up its act is still basically a meeting place for the country's waste that our toilets reject. I saw chicks in back of utes during the cruise on the main drag surrounded by the general public, getting growled out by some blokes, slappers with their tits out as they cruised past mum and dads with kids, security telling, at the top of their voices cars to 'slow down you stupid c*nt!" while family's walk past.

Its just disgraceful and not even worth you taking your car there because you'll actually feel dirty just walking around, not to mention the dust that will get everywhere. The fool organisers set up the show and shine beside the outdoor gymkhana event and every car was covered in dust, same same for the Sunday club day.

I had my niece and her boyfriend up from melbourne to see the Nats for the first time, their response;

-everyone is rude,
-there's no shade,
-the staff don't know what's going on,
-Easter Nats ****s all over it and we won't be back.

This was the coolest thing there...

[IMG][/IMG]
So long Summernats!

Last edited by 69Superbad; 05-01-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Name: Craig
I can understand what u are saying, it is a magnet to both ends of the spectrum of humanity, the best and worst. If the balance is wrong it can be a sad place.

Have been to the event and it's pre cursor for 30 year.

It has gone up and down over the years but I was feeling a bit tired of it all at the end of Saturday and did not go back today.

I did not spend too much time on the loop of cruise cars as it can be both fun and a real pain dependant on the time of day.

The fun for me is the reaction of people to the cars in the main arena, both car and non car people. Agree re the dust, spent an hour this morning cleaning the engine bay of dirt and dust. The rest I will tackle soon.

Here are the shots I took >>>>> http://s240.photobucket.com/user/fiv...mernats%202014
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 PM

I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of cars that were just pieces of sh/t, just real crap that I would have thought you'd be too embarrassed to show in public. Plus a great many cars looked like they just come from mums garage.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM

Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Superbad View Post
I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of cars that were just pieces of sh/t, just real crap that I would have thought you'd be too embarrassed to show in public. Plus a great many cars looked like they just come from mums garage.
That's what I thought about the quality of some of the cars in the Thursday Supercruise......wtf?? There were some nice ones, but........the quality of some of em left you wondering.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Name: Andrew
Yeah, I went for the last few years and gave it a miss this year. It is a Holden Dunnydore extravaganza and it bored me to tears last year.. There are better events around!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Name: Mcgee
It will never be as good as it was in the 90s to around 05... those days are gone unfortunately.
I agree with everything above.
I particularly love the vn-vt commodores' 3.8s with un painted fiberglass SS kits with trolley handle rear wings and miss matched 15 inch wheels
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG*66 View Post
It will never be as good as it was in the 90s to around 05... those days are gone unfortunately.
I agree with everything above.
I particularly love the vn-vt commodores' 3.8s with un painted fiberglass SS kits with trolley handle rear wings and miss matched 15 inch wheels
Yeah but you should see the sik skids they cut in the burbs at night I think Chic Henry saw the writing on the wall.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Name: Jase
Send a message via MSN to chevval
and nek minnit....., I went 3 yrs ago with my family and certainly won't be returning anytime soon nor would I take the car down either....I could just go to kingston/woodridge on friday night for free and find the same quality...sik brah!!!!

Last edited by chevval; 06-01-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I went, I won't be back.

It was better a few years ago, well by better I mean the cars were of a higher standard. Today, just row after row of glorified taxi's.

The cars cruising the circuit went pretty much like this,

Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Falcon,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Torana,
Torana,
Chev,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Buick,
Sigma,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Some random hot rod,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,
Commodore,

There you have it, if you didn't go, I pretty much summed it up for you.

On the way out passed a really nice SLR Torana with a stoved in front, probably from getting too excited on the cruise, then passed a Commodore with similar damage on the Hume and a Cortina likewise damaged.

If you are amongst that 5% of decent, car loving enthusiasts that do the right thing then the rest of this post does not apply to you.

The entire event, which is apparently trying to clean up its act is still basically a meeting place for the country's waste that our toilets reject. I saw chicks in back of utes during the cruise on the main drag surrounded by the general public, getting growled out by some blokes, slappers with their tits out as they cruised past mum and dads with kids, security telling, at the top of their voices cars to 'slow down you stupid c*nt!" while family's walk past.

Its just disgraceful and not even worth you taking your car there because you'll actually feel dirty just walking around, not to mention the dust that will get everywhere. The fool organisers set up the show and shine beside the outdoor gymkhana event and every car was covered in dust, same same for the Sunday club day.

I had my niece and her boyfriend up from melbourne to see the Nats for the first time, their response;

-everyone is rude,
-there's no shade,
-the staff don't know what's going on,
-Easter Nats ****s all over it and we won't be back.

This was the coolest thing there...

[IMG][/IMG]
So long Summernats!
Why don't you voice those complaints where it might do some good. Contact the summernats main office, speak to an organiser. You're from Canberra, just go down there and speak out. I did it years ago, when chic ran the show and we got some redress on an issue we had. If no one makes a complaint, they're none the wiser and then they claim it was such a success.

If it were me, I'd go in the morning, best time Friday or Saturday and then get the hell out if Dallas by around midday. The crowds haven't formed around the place in the mornings also and you get a good look at the top 60 cars as well as the trade stands, before the pavilions fill up with punters.

The sort of ****e you're referring to starts to happen letter in the afternoons, once the grog and sunshine has well and truley taken hold of the morons.

Having said that, I'm disappointed in the whole shebang. It's got the potential to be so good, but just falls apart each year, mainly because of the ******** element and the sale of grog and it seems to concentrate around the Tuff Street area.

Talking to a mate today, and he tells me the car that took out Grand Champion, drove down from the central coast, entered the event, won the main prize, then drove it home on the Sunday . Not a trailer in sight.........that's what Street machine means. Good on him.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Name: Alan
A few images I took at Summernats
heres the link
http://aaa-photography.smugmug.com/C...1478&k=wPsCcvb

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Complain personally....hmm. Reckon they'd give a flying F? Trust me, the event gets bagged out by us locals every year, the organisers know its unpopular, even amongst the car enthusiast community (different community here than elsewhere tho). The event belongs in some outback sh/thole that needs the money and can cope with the angst.

I spoke to the AFP officer in charge of policing the event tho and he tells me the current owner is likely to sell it off soon as he's made his money out of it and that Chic saw the writing on the wall and got out while he could. Summernats keeps asking for a Friday night cruise down Northbourne Ave, AFP keeps saying no because the crowd/drivers can't be trusted.

It's just a matter of time, all it will take is one more serious incident and it is gone.

I'd like to see them cut out the burnout comp, driving skills, street circuits (tuff street) and booze and just limit it to Show and Shine, Horsepower heroes, Audio comp and trade stands.

The bogans would soon leave and the event would have a future.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Complain personally....hmm. Reckon they'd give a flying F? Trust me, the event gets bagged out by us locals every year, the organisers know its unpopular, even amongst the car enthusiast community (different community here than elsewhere tho). The event belongs in some outback sh/thole that needs the money and can cope with the angst.

I spoke to the AFP officer in charge of policing the event tho and he tells me the current owner is likely to sell it off soon as he's made his money out of it and that Chic saw the writing on the wall and got out while he could. Summernats keeps asking for a Friday night cruise down Northbourne Ave, AFP keeps saying no because the crowd/drivers can't be trusted.

It's just a matter of time, all it will take is one more serious incident and it is gone.

I'd like to see them cut out the burnout comp, driving skills, street circuits (tuff street) and booze and just limit it to Show and Shine, Horsepower heroes, Audio comp and trade stands.

The bogans would soon leave and the event would have a future.
Ha ha, you know, it makes me laugh every time I see the event advertised. The whole focus seems to be on the burnouts! You mean there's actually a car show and trade stands on as well? Lol
Been the problem for years, the sale of alcohol. It'll never be stopped cos it brings too much money to the organiser and vendors.
I live in Canberra also and I realise it gets bagged out by the local car enthusiasts, but never to the management. People only ever talk amongst themselves about how 5hite it is.
If you've got a genuine gripe about seeing that woman getting growled out in the back of the ute on the cruise route, or the way the security performed their duties.........go and tell the organizers. They're probably sitting there patting themselves on the back for a job well done on the family friendly Summernats, none the wiser for what the punters are up to.....
If no one complains.........nothing can change.
I reckon it'd be a great event held somewhere like eastern creek and then we could have the old street machine nationals back in town, like the good old days!
Old 14-01-2014, 12:53 AM

Name: Alan
Street Machine Nationals are to be held in again this year in Wagga in August,
the promoter is determined that it will be a great event ,..BOOZE FREE.

Wagga's half way between Sydney & Melbourne sounds like a good car event with no booze or idiots .
Why dont we make a weekend of it

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 14-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Name: Scott
I am no wowser but agree with you blokes. The grog kills it. If you cant go to a carshow for the cars and have fun appreciating peoples time and money spent on their cars then no point in going. If you just want to get on the grog then you should have a bottle-o or pub close to where you live, go there and drool over your VN commodore and demand to see your own defacto's tits.

Summernats does not interest me so wont be going, but certainly wont be taking my two young fellas to it either. I will take them to an alcohol free family friendly event
Old 14-01-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
I am no wowser but agree with you blokes. The grog kills it. If you cant go to a carshow for the cars and have fun appreciating peoples time and money spent on their cars then no point in going. If you just want to get on the grog then you should have a bottle-o or pub close to where you live, go there and drool over your VN commodore and demand to see your own defacto's tits.

Summernats does not interest me so wont be going, but certainly wont be taking my two young fellas to it either. I will take them to an alcohol free family friendly event
Not to mention the cars that get trashed during the show. I saw three as I was leaving, all in the space of about an hour. If that's any indication, there must be a few dozen cars seriously damaged during the course of a typical summernats. I bet they don't all hit barriers during the burnout comp, how many plow into some unsuspecting punters pride and joy? How much are our Shannons premiums pumped up by these fools?