Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Name: Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RKSIDE View Post
Such good reading, thanks guys.

Too many responses to reply to so I'll try summarise up a bit.

No BBC as I don't want an anchor at the front. I'm enjoying being able to turn the car .
Chasing around 450-500hp and after some reading last night I realise that's the limit of a cast crank (SBC), I don't like the thought of being at the limit and ceiling of performance (for future upgrades) So I guess forged is the go if taking the SBC route (bugger, more $$$).
I don't drive to work in it, but I still love that I can currently jump in, start it right up and make it to my destination, no matter the weather. So that's up on my priority list.
Also up on the priority is kicking a Mustang off it's Apocalaps perch.
Visually I know the LS is the least attractive, but this is on the lower end of my concerns. It's not a show car and I'd much prefer driving than cleaning.

I'll check with Adam about the tunnel as he did the commo driveline conversion and from memory he didn't have to change accessories or tunnel, I think.
I found a slip yoke conversion for the TR6060 but it's $2k! I would hope the drive shaft be cheaper than that.

Twin turbos? Hopefully one day.. Before we all go electric (I just vomited a little)

Any tips on what to consider with the chev blocks themselves? 400 have water issues? standard GM blocks have enough wall? etc.
Cast aftermarket Cranks are good for 500hp. You'll have a fairly wild (read cammed) 383 to produce more than that. Probably only $500 extra for an entry level forged crank (1500hp). You'll light the rear tyres in the first 3 gears with 500hp anyway, so not sure if you'll really need (you might want) more than that.

Stock block is fine for that HP level.

You'll get more HP per $ with an SBC with an LS

11.015 @ 111mph

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 28-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
No BBC as I don't want an anchor at the front.
Even you Chev guys thinks Chev engines are boat anchors...
Old 28-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Name: Scotty
I just recently sold off my old motor. It was a standard GM 4 bolt 400 block, bored 30 over & ran a standard GM cast 400 crankshaft.
This motor was built in the late 90's & never gave me an issue with overheating or breaking the cast crank. Put the right radiator in it & don't put cheap chinese rubbish in it & you wont have a problem.
I did change the heads, cam & intake a few years back for a set of off the shelf AFR195 heads, Super Victor intake manifold & a hydraulic roller cam.
This was a fairly low budget engine.
As far as weekend toys go I think I would drive my car more than most guys & I would drive that car anywhere. I never touched that engine for years & years apart from servicing it & it got its fair share of running down the strip & for what it was surprised a lot of people as it ran low 11's as it got driven on the street & did not even have to open the bonnet at the track.

A well built small block will put a smile on your face.
Old 28-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Name: shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnevista View Post
Not all
Old 28-06-2017, 06:15 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnevista View Post
Nice Oldsmobile in your avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffer View Post
Not all
UGH
Old 28-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Name: Steve
Roger Penske and many others raced cast iron block and head 302s weighing 575lbs in a 69 Z28 Camaro back in the day, and they turned corners pretty damn good.

So, a BBC with alum heads weighing 610lb -just 35lbs or 16Kgs more, makes it a boat anchor?
Old 28-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Roger Penske and many others raced cast iron block and head 302s weighing 575lbs in a 69 Z28 Camaro back in the day, and they turned corners pretty damn good.

So, a BBC with alum heads weighing 610lb -just 35lbs or 16Kgs more, makes it a boat anchor?
Big Block Chev engines, helping you keep your front wheels on the ground since 1958
Old 28-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Name: Chris
Let's settle this once and for all...Blondes, Brunette or Redheads ??
Old 28-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Let's settle this once and for all...Blondes, Brunette or Redheads ??
Brunettes of course silly
Old 28-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 69 View Post
Budget should never get in the way of car emotion ... the LSA at the show got you thinking huh??
I won't lie it did get me thinking

If your going SBC + chasing 400-500 rwhp thats achievable on a budget...(do you have one yet?)

Theres a million ways to to attack this and its personal choice really, for that kind of HP you don't really need to stroke it but you could if thats your preference.....personally I would do something like a forged crank, decent set of I/H beam rods & pistons (target comp of 10.5:1 - 11:1), they don't need to be over the top but plan for future, plenty of options from a bunch of brands, another option is to look at a vendor package which includes all of the above, most manufacturers do them (e.g; SCAT do a decent kit for around $2600 AUD https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sca-1-40610bi )

Top end, I would look at a decent set of ally heads, good valve setup with RR, single plane manifold (are you going carb or EFI?), and a mid-range solid cam from Crow or Crane....Theres a bunch of similar package options for the top-end as well e.g; Brodix do a track package which includes heads, manifold, all gaskets, studs etc, Trickflow & Edelbrock do them as well..

Again just my approach, theres a bunch of ways to slice it
Old 28-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Name: Denton

Wannabe
Old 28-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post

Didn't they all smoke and sunbath in oil back then too?

But yeah I didn't mean to disrespect anyone's love for a good ol BBC. I'm talking more autocross type of turns, so it wouldn't make sense to pay extra dollars for less agility.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booah View Post
Wannabe
We all know who the real king is...
Old 28-06-2017, 08:32 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Didn't they all smoke and sunbath in oil back then too?

But yeah I didn't mean to disrespect anyone's love for a good ol BBC. I'm talking more autocross type of turns, so it wouldn't make sense to pay extra dollars for less agility...
A pound still weighed a pound back then too, and I'm sure those extra BB cubes would easily take care of the +35lbs out of the corners and down the straight aways.. Not that I am all of a sudden changing my mind about a BBC (still would before any LS) But think about an alum headed 427 SBC.
Lighter and you're gonna need those cubes.
Old 28-06-2017, 08:33 PM

http://www.shafiroff.com/chevy-crate...realstreet.php
This is a bargain

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 28-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
427 SBC, now we're talking. I'm writing the parts list down.

anyone care to tell me what to expect to pay for a bore and hone?

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

if money wasn't an option..

http:/....440 SBC

anyway.. back to reality..