Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Name: Marc
Fuel system advice

Hey fellow revheads,

I am looking into going EFI on my 502, but need to sort out fuel system first.

My question is whether i can run an EFI in-tank fuel pump through to a carb style bypass regulator to my carby until i get the EFI system sorted?

I am having to do this in steps due to $$$$ and i am fabricating a new fuel tank and running all new braided lines to and back from engine bay, so that will come first.

Cheers.....

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Name: Justin
Hi Marc

I'm in the process of doing exactly this with a 502. I'm running a ricks tank with in tank pump through -8 aluminium lines to a bypass regulator - Aeromotive #13204 with another return -8 line back to the tank. I'm setting this up to go fuel injection once I get the car on the road. Fuel pressure from the pump will run at around 50psi from memory, so I'll be checking for leaks pretty regularly I think.

If you're using Aeromotive stuff, here is a good resource. You want the top one, 'Stealth 340 Dual feed carb return'.

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/stealthdiagrams/
Old 29-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Cheers for the quick reply Justin.

I am going to be running mostly Holley stuff but good to know that a normal low pressure bypass reg should be ok.
Old 29-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Name: Sean
I've got my old EFI (aeromotive stealth) fuel tank with EFI in-tank pump lying around if you want it Marc? Suits a 69 camaro.
I'm going to a fuel cell with my build, so no need for it.

I ran the stealth tank initially with a carby, then switched to EFI. Works fine as long as you use the right regulator for each application. The in-tank pump is 10 times quieter than any external and runs cooler.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I've got my old EFI (aeromotive stealth) fuel tank with EFI in-tank pump lying around if you want it Marc? Suits a 69 camaro.
I'm going to a fuel cell with my build, so no need for it.

I ran the stealth tank initially with a carby, then switched to EFI. Works fine as long as you use the right regulator for each application. The in-tank pump is 10 times quieter than any external and runs cooler.
Old 29-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Thanks sean, have sent u a PM
Old 29-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Name: Darren
The only thing that might catch you out is the size of and or any restrictions in the return line. I had an issue where there was an issue in the return line and the regulator couldn't regulate the pressure low enough. If the return line is the same size as the supply line you should be fine.

Some newer return-less systems might have the regulator at the tank. I solved my problem by running two regulators and two fuel returns, one at the tank and another in the engine bay, but that was a pretty unique system that had to work with some late model OE parts.