Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Name: Chris
Electrical question

For the electric wizards....let me say up front that for me electrical stuff is a bit of a black art. It makes my head hurt.

OK the Buick dash lights keep blowing the fuse.

The circuit appears relatively straight forward. Basically from dash to fuse block, from fuse block to switch.

the switch is stuffed I have a new one on the way from the US. It has a resostat to dim the lights. That is shot and is basically making poor often no connection. The wire has to be wiggled to make connection.

But I could wiggle it and get the lights to work, now as soon as I wiggle it, bam, blown fuse. I have no idea how to find the short, the wire is all inside the loom. No other isses with any circuit, everything else works perfectly. My question therefore is, is it just the switch, is that causing the issue, or is there a short somewhere. I don't think it's the switch, it's all self contained, so not sure how that could be shorting out.

Thoughts.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 AM

Name: Steve
From what you are saying about the dodgy switch, I'm pretty sure you will find the short there. Replace it and see.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:31 AM

OK, it's due in next week. Meanwhile I'll get back to fixing the heater...should have done it in summer. But last weekend I decided time to do it...it's only been 4 years
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 PM

Name: Geoff
Yes, I would replace the switch first to see if it is the culprit. The dimmer portion of the switch is a variable resistor made of nichrome resistance wire, usually wound on a porcelain or ceramic 'donut'. A wiper passes over the winding to give the appropriate amount of dimming. After a lot of use, the wire can get rubbed through by the wiper & break, so the loose end of this wire might be touching the switch frame, causing a short.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Yeah thanks Geoff that's exactly it. The coiled wire. But I know it's not shorting from the resistor wire but it has come away from the ceramic so it's definitely stuffed
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM

OK new switch arrived. Installed, put in new 5am fuse. Hit the lights, bam, fuse blows. instantly. So it's not the switch.

So now I am at a loss. What would be causing this. It's literally the instrument panel lights only. The ones that cast a white light on the instrument panel. All other panel lights (indicators, oil, gen light etc) all work perfectly. Just the instrument lights. Loom is all wrapped in tape from factory. it lietrally goes from switch to fuse blow to instrument panel, so very little wire and I cannot see anywhere where it is shorting out.

I'm now starting to suspect the fuse block may be the problem. Is it shorting ?

Any thoughts before I hand it over to a real expert.....
Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Name: Frank
Can you get a circuit diagram to make sure there is nothing else in the circuit ? For example you might be dimming a light in the footwell or similar place that isn't there and that is your short.

Otherwise see Andy at Somerville Elec - good guy and old school.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Good idea Frank I have reviewed to diagram before but only tracking wires to panel will review again. Thanks for heads up on Andy
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Name: Kev
Chris check your tail light and number plate lights as you may have an issue there, usually when dash lights are not working neither are the tail lights, also make sure that it only needs a 5amp and not 10 or 15 for that circuit. You may have a crook globe shorting to earth. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Kev. I've checked all other lights front and rear. All working fine. Fuse is 5amp. Says so both on fuse block and in manual
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 PM

Name: Kev
Can you unplug each globe one at a time and test to see if one is an issue otherwise I would look for a loose connection which could be shorting, just re reading your first post try looking at where you are wriggling the wires to see if there is a loose connection.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Name: Jim
Did you check the wiring to your interior lamps?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM

I checked what I could Jim. It goes into the loom, but what I could check I did. All good.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Name: Steve
If you are able to pull all of the globes on that circuit, see where it's grounding with a multi-meter.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Ha ha, Steve you say that like you think I know what I'm doing....multi-meter. I'm OK with one, not great. Here's my problem. From what I can tell in the circuit diagram there are only 9 bulbs on that circuit. 6 of those are the twist in ones that twist into the printed circuit board of the dash. I'm not sure how I would test that with a MM