Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Name: Darren
That could well be an option, I'd probably have to sticky tape it to the dash since none of my traditional gauges other than the tacho work anyway.

I had a quick look at the Holley digital dash but at US$800 just for the display it's a bit rich for me.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
That could well be an option, I'd probably have to sticky tape it to the dash since none of my traditional gauges other than the tacho work anyway.

I had a quick look at the Holley digital dash but at US$800 just for the display it's a bit rich for me.
There's some pretty good magnet mounts for phones. I'm there be something for a tablet too.

Ditto.

Still trying to deal with the dilemma of not being able to stare at my car while driving it.
Better to build to a budget than not at all.
Youtube Channel: Shift Happens
Instagram: Shift Happens
Old 11-01-2018, 12:19 AM

Today's lesson learnt the hard way (aren't they all) is to take the opportunity to change the rear main seal before you put the engine in the car, it's a lot easier than doing it from underneath:

Did give me the opportunity to make this nice engine support beam from some scraps laying around the shed though:

Old 19-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Nice work

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Name: Brooke
Interesting article on Gremlins

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/featu...remlin-401-xr/
Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 PM

401 Gremlin, now you're talking, unfortunately they built so few of them as a dealer option that they are hardly even on the collector car radar. When Wally Booth took the motor out of his super stock Gremlin and put it into the Hornet hatch in a back to back comparison, he picked up a few MPH in the 1/4 mile and that pretty much ended the racing career of the Gremlin, it has the aerodynamics of a brick.

In other news, I went out on Wednesday night and ran 14.245 @ 97.95, so another couple of tenths and didn't need to wipe oil off the bottom of the car between rounds, which was a good thing.

PS: These turned up in the post today:

+0.030" 401 flat top pistons, just need a few other bits to go with them.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Name: Peter
Here's a rather special 401 Darren. It was just listed this week in USA ... https://www.carrollstauto.com/1972_A...H_16767555.veh
Old 11-02-2018, 07:52 PM

That's pretty bloody nice and couldn't pick better engine builders I reckon. Fair bit of coin for a Gremlin though, I guess there is hope for mine once it gets bodywork and paint.

I've been working on an electric thermo-fan conversion for mine over the weekend using Ford Mondeo fans, which are a pretty good fit for the radiator:

If Engine Masters are on the money with 20-30 HP for the factory fixed flex fan, then I should be able to dip into the 13's, I guess I will find out on Wednesday night. Hopefully also resolve my overheating issues, the engine fan was a bit far away from the radiator and I didn't have a shroud so it was getting a little hot in the staging lanes.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 11-02-2018 at 07:55 PM..
Old 13-02-2018, 11:56 PM

This is an interesting little upgrade to hopefully counteract the extra current draw from the fans, which could push the battery and charging system over the edge. I've just installed some LED headlight globes, they only pull 0.3 amps each on low beam compared to the 55/100W halogen bulbs that were in there, which theoretically draw 4.6 amps each on low beam. I've previously bypassed the dip switch due to some melted bits or harness, so I only have low beam anyway. The fan motors seem to draw around 6.0 amps each once they are running so hopefully the LEDs will help to avoid flat batteries at the strip.

Old 15-02-2018, 03:41 PM

Outcome of the fan conversion is that I can now maintain coolant temperatures around 185-195 (has crept up to 230 previously). It also helped a bit with the times, but maybe not as much as I had hoped, although I am thinking the previous PB of 14.245 may have been a bit of a freak run.

The best thing about these times is that I'm starting to see some consistency (except for the crappy reaction times), but still having a few issues shifting as per runs 1 and 3.

The question is what to do next, I do have a CRT reverse pattern manual valve body laying around. That might solve the gear selection issues if nothing else. It currently just has the stock valve body in it.

Also still a cam swap up my sleeve, but need to buy lifters and a timing set.

PS: The LED globes are crap in terms of light output, by just fine if you only want to have the illusion of working headlights.
Old 15-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Name: darren
I have l.e.d's in my BA i reckon they are the bomb it might come down to head light design and brand of L.e.d I'm sure if I put them in my coupe with the round 7" lights I would probably be just as disappointed as you were.
Old 15-02-2018, 06:16 PM

The ones I bought were cheap and nasty eBay specials, so I wasn’t expecting too much. One of the problems I found is they are all advertised as 100+ watt output, which I think is trying to make a comparison of light output to a conventional globe. It was very hard to find something that gave specifications for actual electrical power consumption, which is what I was trying to reduce.
Old 15-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Name: graham
Darren, why do you need headlights on the strip ? just put the parkers on.
i would be looking at some headers & decent pipes, they may improve times, keep at it...
1967 Pontiac Firebird-home built 470 Pontiac-turbo 400-3500 conv-9inch 3:55 - 11:06 @ 125:10 mph.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:18 PM

For some reason they make you put the headlights on at night down there.

Definitely thinking about pipes as well, I've only got twin 2" pipes on there at the moment. The factory manifolds are pretty decent for a cast iron job and do have 2 1/4" outlets, so I could definitely step it up to 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipes. One of the reasons I put it back to LHD was to give me the option of running off the shelf headers down the track.
Old 25-02-2018, 08:58 PM

Oh the joys of laying on your back under the car with transmission fluid dripping on your face. At least it's done now, CRT reverse manual valve body, billet low/reverse servo and home made blocker rod in the accumulator. This better be worth at least a tenth or two, assuming it doesn't blow up on the first pass.