Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 19-06-2016, 11:41 PM

Name: Luke
Sooooo thought I might update this seems it's been over a year since the last one.

Sent the car to a so called professional to get a flat firewall, dash conversion, finish off the rear end and basically get it ready for the last few stages to be done at my house.

Well didn't quite work out that way. The guy lost the plot I think and did some pretty average work then told me he sold he sold up so I need to collect my car. Blessing in disguise really as the workmanship was faaarked. You will see in the following pictures.

This was his $100 hr effort on the trans tunnel and a clearance hump in the rear for the diff. Nice work!!

So loaded it up and bought it back to my house and proceeded with a new plan.

Enter my mate Speaksy.

We come up with a game plan and proceeded to start on a new firewall. A flat one too not the wavy shiit I paid for once before.

So out came the cutoff wheels and made a start. We decided on the run to go with something neither of us had seen done before. Both pretty stoked on the outcome.

So after getting the firewall completed we decided we should get the car super low by ways of raising the floors up.

We dropped out the rear coilovers and removed all the body mounts and wound the front coilovers down as much as possible to get the desired ride height. Sills are sitting about 110mm from the ground.

Back on the phone to Jay at Speedtech to order what I ordered a few years earlier. New floors, rails, firewall section to use for lower footwell, and boot floor.

Picked these up a couple of weeks ago and sent the car up to Speaksys workshop to get started.

Today was the day we cut all the new floors and tubs I put in a couple of years ago to refit the new floors raised up. Ending up with what is going to be a 50mm body drop.

So that's up to date as of today. Next week should see the new floor in dummy fitted .

Note to self *Have a clear plan from day one haha

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-06-2016, 02:46 AM

Name: Alan
Bloody awsome....
Yep a plan at the start sounds good....
Al

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 20-06-2016, 07:33 AM

Name: Peter
Wow....thats a ballzy move, love it.
2" lowering block would've been cheaper tho
Old 20-06-2016, 07:34 AM

Wow that looks tough. Good to see some positive movement.
Old 20-06-2016, 08:11 AM

Name: Sean
Looks sh1t hot Luke. That stance is awesome
Old 20-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Name: Neil
Looks good, no issues with the front tyres rubbing on full lock?
Old 20-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Cheers guys.

Peter I would love to have just put "blocks" in but still won't get the desired ride height. Effectively the subframe will be same height as the bottom of pinch weld on sills.

Hey Neil as it is now there is bugger all lock but we will be doing about a 50mm wide body to front guards and also the lip will be trimmed right back and strengthened with 5mm rod on the full radius.
Old 20-06-2016, 10:43 PM

Name: Muggz
Shame about the ''professional job'' ...Did he still charge you for it?

I really dig the firewall!
Old 21-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Name: Justin
Love the channelled body idea - top work mate
Old 24-06-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggz View Post
Shame about the ''professional job'' ...Did he still charge you for it?

I really dig the firewall!
Thanks Muggz, it's pretty hard to come up with something different these days so hopefully it all pans out ok when finished.

Unfortunately I did pay for it. I got back 1k off the bill that I had paid in advance but nothing really compared to the pathetic job he did. Not only did he do such poor work he also charged me what I would call excessive hours on install/removal work for parts.

The guy was all Torque about his Fabrication but at the end of the day this is the garbage he produced. The "flat" firewall that he put in was glued over the existing firewall and just blasted with full runs of mig weld around the egde. Seriously had about a 15mm warp in it. Apparently he has gone to make cakes!!
Old 27-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Another good day working on it yesterday. Got the floor in along with the new firewall. We weren't going to use it but in the end we decided to cut out the old subframe mounts which basically left nothing of the old firewall/footwell section.

So out with the cutoff wheels again and chopped up the new firewall to meet into the floor and the fabbed firewall. Made for a much better end result and hopefully will save chopping the mounts on the subframe.

Extended the lower lip on the floor about 60-70 mm to give us more pirch on the sill/pinchweld. Subframe is sitting about 20mm above the pinch line. Sills will get boxed with 3mm steel as this will be the lowest part of the car.

This sunday will see the beaver panel in and rails started to be set up in place. Have bought some new tubs from Mr Mudgaurd that will get widened to suit. Rails will have a small notch in them using some 4" pipe. Maybe 30mm up as well as being moved inboard to avoid notching the rails as per normal tub fitment.

All this is all on the fly. No real plan just ideas as we go.
Old 28-06-2016, 06:56 PM

Looking good.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 29-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Raised chassis

Really liking this thread, as a raised floor is a modification that interests me, I have done a bit of research into this floor mod, first gen Camaro chassis sits lower than the sill panels, and scrape on everything, keep up the good work and post plenty of pics please
Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Name: Nathan
Lovin the way this is heading. Especially getting the subframe up higher! Sux about the 'expert' but looks to be in good hands now mate.

Awesome to see progress on it again.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM

Back at it yesterday for a few more hours. Tweaked the position of the floor a little bit to bring the back down slightly and the front up slightly. Floor is tek screwed in place with firewall now so that should be it for final position.

Started on the rear rails and beaver panel. Got the panel clecoed in (not the best fitment) but it will work.

Then came up with a plan as to avoid notching the rails to suit the tubs. Little bit of thinking we came up with the idea to pie cut the rails and straighten them out. We managed to get 15.5" of clearance from rail to the guard lip. We will gain a little bit more once we trim the lip as well.

So that's it until next week which should see the tubs in, rails tied in to beaver panel and diff etc back in. Hopefully have it back on the ground in the next 2 sundays.

Pretty stoked with what we have achieved so far in 3 days. All going good we should have everything welded in place over the next month or so then we can start on the wide body front. I'm still undecided whether I want to go a bit custom with diffusers, chin spoilers etc or stay classic. I like both styles and have a fair idea of what it will look like once finished so something to think about over the next few months. We have to wide body the front guards for clearance but hopefully we can make them subtle enough that they aren't to in your face.