Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 4;191916[B
]It seems to me the amount of grief you get depends on the whim of the customs official[/B][s]. Some have too much power [ pardon the pun ] & the big head to go with it...
Thats the bit that concerns me..........being at the whim of someone who might be having a bad day. Nothing seems to be uniform in the whole process.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Name: Greg
Geoff 4 I reckon you are correct.
I posted back on 3/10 about our vehicles being detained for inspection.
This saga is still going on.
All cars have been tested with some very minimal asbestos issues being detected.
Head Gasket, Exhaust Gasket, hood lining and a small strip of sealant in one door panel.
I wont pass on the cost here but you can do the sums.
Testing Lab, Attendance by qualified analyst, excess container fees, storage at quarantine holding, mechanic to remove the parts, disposal costs etc etc.
Still waiting on cars to be released as Border Protection dont have the resources to attend to the outstanding matters.

Yes we are working with our importer and agent as well as Border Protection.
Advice was to remove Brakes, Gaskets, Clutches which we've done with our next container. Shouldn't be a problem right.
Nope this container has been pulled up for inspection as well. Not sure what they will test, but they won't budge.

Yes we are also aware that others have been coming through without inspection and having no remedial works done at all.

So yes we are at the whim of some desk official.

Our next option is to have vehicles tested by an approved lab in USA. Currently having Border protection approve the LAB we are liaising with.

Good luck to all trying to wing it.
Old 20-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpawalky View Post
Thats the bit that concerns me..........being at the whim of someone who might be having a bad day. Nothing seems to be uniform in the whole process.
You are right Grpawalky.
See my post earlier where we had 2 containers (8 vehicles) impounded for testing.
They've had them for over 6 weeks now and we are still waiting.
They found very small amounts of Asbestos in 4 vehicles (Head Gasket, Exhaust gasket, Hood lining and a small strip of sealant. F..K all.
I wont tell you how much its cost to date but you can imagine.
Analysts, Lab, Holding fees, Excess container hire, Mechanic to assist in sampling. $$$ are still mounting up.
Others we know have come in without being pulled?
Luck of the draw or as you state, at the whim of a desk jockey with a rule book.
Old 20-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Just work with your importer (assuming you are not doing it all yourself), they will have a strategy for this. If they don't then find a better importer.
Hi 69Javelinman.
See my post of 3/10/17. I would be interested to hear of anyones fail safe back up plan.
We are still waiting on release of this shipment.
Have had numerous discussions with agents, our shipping firm in LA and Border protection about our next shipment. We engaged a company in LA to remove Brakes, Gaskets & Clutches before shipping. They have had correspondence from Border protection suggesting same. We have copy of this letter.
You can guess what happened.
Yes our latest container also seized.
Not sure what they will test on these cars.

We've now had further discussions with Border protection and now are looking at having all vehicles tested in LA by an accredited LAB. Just waiting on Customs/Border protection to approve the LAB.
Will keep you informed as to how this goes.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:40 PM

All our West Coast vehicles are being tested by a NATA Approved Asbestos Tester. If they test positive for asbestos only in the brakes we can remove and install new brake pads. If asbestos is found elsewhere we will consult with the owner on what options they have.

The upside of this is that from now on all West Coast vehicles that do not have wood as part of their manufacture are guaranteed to pass Australia Quarantine upon entry. If they do not pass then there will be NO additional cleaning costs passed on to the owner. This is assuming that the vehicle isn't a swamp monster that just got pulled out of the black lagoon.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Take punt, a few have got through no changes Asbestos related items. But have a back up plan.
Hi Benny,
Punt may be lucky but cost if your not is expensive.
- Sample testing $50 a sample. We had around 9 from each vehicle.
- Analyst to attend unloading and sample extraction $140/hr. Plus attendance at any remediation.
- Report cost approx $1500.
- Cost of holding yard. Note ours have been in holding for around 6-7 weeks.

Then there's the possibility of fines?

Good luck to all that try blindly.
Old 20-11-2017, 03:21 PM

Name: Darren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gas View Post
Hi 69Javelinman.
See my post of 3/10/17. I would be interested to hear of anyones fail safe back up plan.
We are still waiting on release of this shipment.
Have had numerous discussions with agents, our shipping firm in LA and Border protection about our next shipment. We engaged a company in LA to remove Brakes, Gaskets & Clutches before shipping. They have had correspondence from Border protection suggesting same. We have copy of this letter.
You can guess what happened.
Yes our latest container also seized.
Not sure what they will test on these cars.

We've now had further discussions with Border protection and now are looking at having all vehicles tested in LA by an accredited LAB. Just waiting on Customs/Border protection to approve the LAB.
Will keep you informed as to how this goes.
Keep us posted on the outcome, they can obviously seize anything, it will be interesting to see what they want to test.

I notice with your post on 31/10/17 that you made the assumption that new asbestos free pads would be ok and didn't read the Border Protection advice that you would need to be able to provide traceable evidence that the batch of components installed on the car had actually been tested. Batch testing works fine if you are bringing in 50 or 100 cars that are all the same otherwise in practice it is probably easier to get the individual cars tested as USAtoAus is doing. You do need a comprehensive list from border Protection on exactly what needs to be tested though.
Old 27-11-2017, 01:24 PM

Check video in this story, too:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...7f6e3193ea62b1
Old 27-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Name: Ben
https://amp.news.com.au/technology/i...7f6e3193ea62b1

News today, more reports Asbestos crackdown.
Old 30-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Name: Jim
“If the Australian Border Force suspects there is asbestos present in the goods being imported we will instruct the importer to arrange for testing at their cost. That involves extra cost to them as well as delays as the testing is conducted,”

Which leaves you open to just about anything and everything they might oddly suspect. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I've heard people have been pulled up on Underbody deadener, roof linings and even door/trunk rubbers!

I can feel a migraine coming on!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMVET67 View Post
“If the Australian Border Force suspects there is asbestos present in the goods being imported we will instruct the importer to arrange for testing at their cost. That involves extra cost to them as well as delays as the testing is conducted,”

Which leaves you open to just about anything and everything they might oddly suspect. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I've heard people have been pulled up on Underbody deadener, roof linings and even door/trunk rubbers!

I can feel a migraine coming on!
Hi Camvet69,

Add sealants to the list.
We had a vehicle with a small amount of sealant behind a door trim which contained a minute amount of asbestos.
The strip of sealant wouldn't have measured more than 100mm in length by about 5mm width. CRAZY.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM

I read about a Holden recently imported from NZ that was pinged for asbestos.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars