Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Readers Rides
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Name: Vic
Thanx Damon. Pretty happy with the way it sounds too.

Having fun cruising in it over summer, but making a list of all the little annoying problems with it. Plan is to pull the engine out over winter and fix them all at once.

I love PRIUS drivers, they are saving all that petrol for me to use in my V8's :

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Name: Alex
Hey Vic . Happy too help! Lol
I'm on holidays in mornington, with the
Camaro! till Sunday, I'll try make the next event
tho at Krispy
Talk soon
Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM

No problem Alex. Enjoy the holidays. See at the next cruise.

I love PRIUS drivers, they are saving all that petrol for me to use in my V8's :
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Name: Peter
Real nice ride BigVic, seen you at a couple of cruises already.
I'll come say hello next time.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga350 View Post
Real nice ride BigVic, seen you at a couple of cruises already.
I'll come say hello next time.
Thanx. I think I saw your Nova at Mornington earlier this week...right?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Name: Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Thanx. I think I saw your Nova at Mornington earlier this week...right?
Yeah that was me & the missus, we watched you driving out....admiring your paintwork!! Love the colour scheme. Were you at Knox recently too?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga350 View Post
Yeah that was me & the missus, we watched you driving out....admiring your paintwork!! Love the colour scheme. Were you at Knox recently too?
Yeah that was me. Thinking I'm over going to Knox. There's plenty of cruise nights this side of town I could be going to...and a lot less cops compared to Knox.

Old 16-03-2013, 06:25 PM

I've been struggling with severe blow back on my SBC since I got the car. Originally I thought it was because the car had been sitting for over a year and thought the rings had 'frozen' into the pistons. I tried the usual remedies but nothing worked.

It just seems to be getting worse. I've checked the PVC valve and hose and it is working (well at least, it is drawing air).

Oil is bubbling up the dipstick tube. I put a spark plug cap on the tube to try and seal the dipstick, but the oil just pools in there and then spills onto the exhaust creating clouds of smoke.

http://youtu.be/zG8IcrdtYoA

There is no oily smoke out of the exhaust, just from under the hood.

I've had enough of this and so the engine will be coming out.

Old 24-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Well I've cracked my nut on the hood just one time too many.

The hood just doesn't seem to open high enough. The hinges are at max opening, but the hood only comes up to about eye level - and I'm no "Andre the Giant". I know my car is low (about 80mm ground clearance at the front cross member), but I would think the hood should open up more than it does.

Anybody with a 2nd gen Camaro answer this for me?

With the hood all the way up, what is the distance between the latch striker plate and the hood - see photo for more details. Mine is about 38 1/4 inches.

Name:  Camaro Hood Openig.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 24-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Name: John
I see the bonnet on the Camaro in the Queanbeyan All American day pics posted today doesn't seem to raise much Vic.
Old 24-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Checked out the photos John. You mean the black one with the blower, right? I feel much better now. At least I can pull my dipstick all the way out

Old 24-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Name: Rob
Hey Vic, that is AWESOME!! love the color and neat shape... will be keeping my eye out for it....
Old 25-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks Rob, I really love the way it looks and sounds. I just wish I could drive it.

The more I research my blow by issue, the more I think I have cracked pistons.

So I guess this winter will be spent, pulling down the engine and figuring out where my problem is. I know 2 cylinders are lower on compression than the other 6. Still tossing up whether I repair the engine I have or buy a crate. Once I've worked out what's wrong with mine, I'll make a decision.

Old 25-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Name: Roger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Thanks Rob, I really love the way it looks and sounds. I just wish I could drive it.

The more I research my blow by issue, the more I think I have cracked pistons.

So I guess this winter will be spent, pulling down the engine and figuring out where my problem is. I know 2 cylinders are lower on compression than the other 6. Still tossing up whether I repair the engine I have or buy a crate. Once I've worked out what's wrong with mine, I'll make a decision.
What do you know about current engine? Do you have casting info for block & heads. If it was only just rebuilt, it may get away with freshen up, hone, fresh rings etc. A few places know there way around a small block. Be a far more cost effective way to go.

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 25-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Hi Roger,

I know a little bit about the motor, but not a lot.

I know in 2002 and 2 owners ago, a fresh 4 bolt 350 went in. Receipt shows pretty standard internals and a mild cam.

Around 2006, the guy I bought it from started a bare metal body resto. The respray was completed in 2009 as well as most of the interior.

About this time, he was diagnosed with a terminal disease which progressively made him weaker to the point that he couldn't drive let alone work on the car. He died in Jan 2012.

I bought the car in March 2012 and when I got it here in July, it was obvious it hadn't been driven for some time.

I eventually got the car started and it sounded good, had good power but had some blow by. It has progressively got worse. I have checked compression and have some strange results.

Most cylinders were around 200 psi except for #4 & 6 which were around 70 and 140.

I've tried an oil detergent, thicker oil, checked the PCV valve and hose, tried the 'Italian Tune Up' to loosen stuck rings - nothing worked. With the problem getting worse, I don't have much choice but to pull the heads off and take a good look inside.

Once I know what the problem is, I'll decide if it's cost effective to repair or replace.